Is there a bus from Chiang Mai to Phuket

murni

I also presume you know that Thailand has the 3rd-worst record in the world for road accidents, and that there is a major bus accident every two or three weeks in the country, especially overnight buses (including many tourist deaths). Think hard before making a long journey on a bus (if it's to save a few bahts).

I'm flying to Krabi (near Phuket) next month direct from Chiang Mai for less than the price of the bus. But one has to book many months in advance.

• Like 1

Nakhonchaiair, around 800 baht and about 10 to 11 hours smile.png

At over 1500 kilometers, that would average over 150kph!

From memory, it is close to 24hrs and not much cheaper than flying.

My wife and I along with two other couples drove down there and had to overnight in Cha am. All told I think it was about 18 hours of non stop driving. that included the fuel stops. won't be doing that drive again.

flying is about the same as, or perhaps even 100-200 Baht less than a bus and much, much safer.

wait...someone just said the bus is 1700 Baht. you can fly on Air Asia for about 890 Baht. takes 90-100 minutes. have done it many times.

flying is about the same as, or perhaps even 100-200 Baht less than a bus and much, much safer.

wait...someone just said the bus is 1700 Baht. you can fly on Air Asia for about 890 Baht. takes 90-100 minutes. have done it many times.

One week advance booking with AA return is 8,204.79B

maybe you are not a member or something? we never pay more than 890 each way. been 4 times over the last 2 years. the wife usually does the booking but she is a member.

btw, i just peeked on the AA website (no log-in) and checked for "One week advance booking with AA return" and the number i get is 5090.80 Baht. if you modify the departure date by 3 days, it brings the price down to 4160.79 (return). i'm sure if i logged in under the wife's account it would be much less. so you need to play with the dates a little.

maybe you are not a member or something? we never pay more than 890 each way. been 4 times over the last 2 years. the wife usually does the booking but she is a member.

btw, i just peeked on the AA website (no log-in) and checked for "One week advance booking with AA return" and the number i get is 5090.80 Baht. if you modify the departure date by 3 days, it brings the price down to 4160.79 (return). i'm sure if i logged in under the wife's account it would be much less. so you need to play with the dates a little.

I'm a member, as you call it..all that is is so your personal info is on site and you dont have to fill in details everytime you book...AKAIK no price deductions for such 'membership"

I have been flying this route for years and i can remember promo fares for around the 890 baht, but not for a very very long time now..same as all AA routes, prices have risen sharply.

Pleased to be proven wrong, but i can not believe that you can fly regularly for that price.[890 baht]

Edited by andreandre

I'm a member, as you call it..all that is is so your personal info is on site and you dont have to fill in details everytime you book...AKAIK no price deductions for such 'membership"

I have been flying this route for years and i can remember promo fares for around the 890 baht, but not for a very very long time now..same as all AA routes, prices have risen sharply.

Pleased to be proven wrong, but i can not believe that you can fly regularly for that price.[890 baht]

no prices haven't risen 'sharply'. they have promo fares every week. you have to receive facebook invitations to get the good deals, my wife says. she always buys the tickets.

we are flying to Bangkok in 2 weeks. here is what she paid for the round-trip tickets...729 Bath plus tax.

Payment

Flight

3 Guest 2186.94 THB

Airport Tax 600.00 THB

Value Added Tax 153.06 THB

Total 2940.00 THB

we travel to Phuket often...and don't pay much..

no prices haven't risen 'sharply'. they have promo fares every week. you have to receive facebook invitations to get the good deals, my wife says. she always buys the tickets.

we are flying to Bangkok in 2 weeks. here is what she paid for the round-trip tickets...729 Bath plus tax.

Payment

Flight

3 Guest 2186.94 THB

Airport Tax 600.00 THB

Total 2940.00 THB

Interesting...what date is this ,out of curiosity? just so i can compare on my system thanks.[19th Feb is the earliest i can see that price]

Also you say 'round trip'..presume you mean one way..

Edited by andreandre

WOOW Chiang Mai to Phuket, I took a bus from Phuket to BKK once and it was a living hell. not only the longest journey ever but it actually crashed. I took some photos of it. I can show them later. anyway the driver lived on red bulls I saw him drink over 8 bottles. after the crash changed to a new buss same driver, couple of M150 and on our way to Happy BKK clap2.gif

The OP is probably long gone.A lot of people that ask questions on forums need an answer for real time not for a week or two in advance. At this moment with no gimmicks on AA leave tomorrow return Feb 7 cost B10,104.80

Too true.....and oscar2 info is misleading and inaccurate to say the least....

Edited by andreandre

The OP is probably long gone.A lot of people that ask questions on forums need an answer for real time not for a week or two in advance. At this moment with no gimmicks on AA leave tomorrow return Feb 7 cost B10,104.80

Too true.....and oscar2 info is misleading and inaccurate to say the least....

huh? it's not my problem you pay more for tickets than we do. without the invitation for the promotion you can't get the rate anyway.

Edited by Oscar2

Payment

Flight

3 Guest 2186.94 THB

Airport Tax 600.00 THB

Total 2940.00 THB

Interesting...what date is this ,out of curiosity? just so i can compare on my system thanks.[19th Feb is the earliest i can see that price]

we leave on the 13th. The price is ROUND TRIP, not one way.

Payment

Flight

3 Guest 2186.94 THB

Airport Tax 600.00 THB

Total 2940.00 THB

we leave on the 13th. The price is ROUND TRIP, not one way.

If what you say is correct, you are sure are getting one hell of a great deal..good for you if so.[A round trip,in high season for 1000 baht p/p is amazing].

I have booked dozens of flights for ''friends" over the years..all through my membership as you say and haven't had offers like this..i will make enquiries ..

In fact i will open a thread to see just how common this is...why should i miss out on such a good deal...sad.png

I'm a frequent flyer on Air Asia. I am also flying to Bangkok next month for about the same price; only about 100 Baht more - so 829.00 appx. (round trip). Air Asia has promotions often. We buy many tickets at a time.

But what does it have to do with a bus to Phuket?blink.png

Started with #13..AA cheaper than a bus to Phuket...smile.png

Oscar2 says later post that;...they have promo fares every week. you have to receive facebook invitations to get the good deals, my wife says. she always buys the tickets.

After yesterdays "yet another bus crash" got me thinking that you get better odds playing russian roulette.

I always travelled by coach but with the one that took a leap of faith over the pitsanaluk bridge last month and this one during the day I too will be flying or car renting in future.