Caretaker PM Yingluck agrees to meet EC chairman on Tuesday

webfact

Caretaker PM agrees to meet EC chairman on Tuesday
By Digital Content

13906344213379.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 25 -- Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has agreed to meet with Election Commission (EC) Chairman Supachai Somcharoen on Tuesday, according to caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Pongthep Thepkanjana.

Mr Pongthep said that the EC chairman has not yet informed the topics for discussion but it would be a formal meeting without any informal discussion before the meeting on Tuesday.

The venue and time have not yet been set, said Mr Pongthep.

The scheduled meeting comes after the Constitutional Court has ruled unanimously on Friday that the general election, set for Feb 2, can be postponed, instructing the caretaker prime minister and EC chairman to jointly issue a royal decree to reschedule the polls.

Meanwhile, Vorathep Rattanakorn, the caretaker Minister Attached to the Prime Minister’s Office said that the advance pollings was under the responsibility of the EC, not the caretaker government, so that the EC could decided on the postponement of the advance ballotings in the areas that may have problems, with no need to wait for the caretaker government's advice.

The Constitution Court did not mention the advance voting, he said.

The advance pollings are scheduled for Sunday – a week ahead of the general election.

Mr Vorathep said that the Council of State, the government's legal arm, has recommended that the upcoming general election could not be postponed, which was announced before the Constitutional Court ruling.

The Council of State's recommendation should be raised at the meeting between the caretaker government and the EC, he said.

However, he said, the Court did not order to postpone the election, just interpreting that the polling could possibly be postponed. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-25

Just another Thaksin thinks, Yingluck acts move..., and EC-member is freaking scared now moment

Yawn. Yet another boring hate Thaksin post that contributes absolutely nothing.

Headline readers...............coffee1.gif

I was referring to the poster, not the article.

How lame is this ? Let us count the ways :

- why wait until Tuesday to meet with the EC ? Has Yingluck a pressing hair appointment ?

- is this true, the meeting has been suggested, but " the venue and time haven't been set up " ( did you call them ? )

- there aren't any formal topics of discussion for the meeting ( what ? ) but that informal talk beforehand is ruled out ( ! )

- that because the Constitution Court didn't specifically mention " advance polling " in their ruling, that Pheu Thai somehow assumes that it occupies a parallel universe

- the Thai Council of State - an institution that operates under the prime minister - who advise the administration - and just gave an enormous present to Pheu Thai by allowing rice payments loans to actually take place before the election, against the advice of the EC, and in spite of the ongoing proceedings of the NACC, and in spite of the stated non-compliance of the banks - is now of the opinion that the election cannot be postponed ( ! ) - despite the ruling by the Constitution Court yesterday - and that - yet again - the EC - on Tuesday ( ! ) will be told of the Council of State's opinion, though it added " the Court did not order to postpone the election, just interpreting that the polling could possibly be postponed. " In other words, - the Thai Council of State - which advises the administration regarding legal matters - doesn't know how to read the Constitution Court's ruling ! Here we go again. We're back to the argument between Pheu Thai and the EC that the Constitution Court addressed yesterday - now scheduled for a lively discussion - five days before an election, and two days after advance polling has taken place !

Now to the answer to the original question posed - ladies and gentlemen - that's how lame !

Edited by Scamper

The point is neither side, EC or Thaksin-clan can take risk to lose FACE ... so it's just a face saving act on both sides. But I can feel the EC and the rest of the court is too freaking scared of Thaksin and his connections...

instructing the caretaker prime minister and EC chairman to jointly issue a royal decree to reschedule the polls

The court did not instruct them it said it was up to them to discuss together if the election should be postponed.

The court only said the election could be postponed under the constitution not that it should be.

Mr Pongthep said that the EC chairman has not yet informed the topics for discussion

The EC has been asking for a meeting for how long ?

What do the fools in the caretaker Govt think they want to discuss,? surely there is one of them who can work that out.

• Like 1

What is that strange old fashioned looking thing in the background? Is it clockwork??

I think I know why he has such difficulty doing his job. He's living in the past, I think it's the feudal age!

I guess we won't see by-elections for at least 6 months, the south of the country is really far when you travel by horse and cart! And highwaymen and robbers with their arrows and sticks are likely to cause violence!

post-199953-0-24647000-1390643436_thumb.

How lame is this ? Let us count the ways :

- why wait until Tuesday to meet with the EC ? Has Yingluck a pressing hair appointment ?

- is this true, the meeting has been suggested, but " the venue and time haven't been set up " ( did you call them ? )

- there aren't any formal topics of discussion for the meeting ( what ? ) but that informal talk beforehand is ruled out ( ! )

- that because the Constitution Court didn't specifically mention " advance polling " in their ruling, that Pheu Thai somehow assumes that it occupies a parallel universe

- the Thai Council of State - an institution that operates under the prime minister - who advise the administration - and just gave an enormous present to Pheu Thai by allowing rice payments loans to actually take place before the election, against the advice of the EC, and in spite of the ongoing proceedings of the NACC, and in spite of the stated non-compliance of the banks - is now of the opinion that the election cannot be postponed ( ! ) - despite the ruling by the Constitution Court yesterday - and that - yet again - the EC - on Tuesday ( ! ) will be told of the Council of State's opinion, though it added " the Court did not order to postpone the election, just interpreting that the polling could possibly be postponed. " Here we go again. We're back to the argument between Pheu Thai and the EC that the Constitution Court addressed yesterday - now scheduled for a lively discussion - five days before an election, and two days after advance polling has taken place !

Now to the answer to the original question posed - ladies and gentlemen - that's how lame !

To tell the EC that they (the caretaker govt) does not deem it a matter of great urgency as they still hold all the cards. Get it?

Yingluck and co now have no basis to say the election cant be postponed because it is against the constitution.

So it must be entirely their decision if they decide it must go ahead.

Wondering what will happen when the 300 odd are banned by the court and NACC, that will leave less than 200 of them sitting there wondering what to do.

Could be even less depending what would happen to the list MP's.

What a monumental cock up.

To tell the EC that they (the caretaker govt) does not deem it a matter of great urgency as they still hold all the cards. Get it?

Not only that, Supachai (Chairman of EC) had refused to meet the PM, insisting Somchai go instead. When Yingluk had a big meeting of all the military, police and so on to see if they could help solve EC's problems, he didn't even send a Commissioner at all, he sent just a secretary.

But now that the CC has stated it needs to be a joint decision, it removes EC's belief that it can unilaterally cancel the election. Suddenly Supachai is prepared to talk to the PM.

So no, there's nothing particular worthwhile in talking to this lots, they tried to mediate with the PDRC, a non-political party, EC's constitutional duty is to be neutral to political parties, not the non-political parties and certainly not Suthep attempt to seize power.

Some choice misdirections:

On the Pheu Thai Party's call for election staff to hold candidate registration inside police stations to avoid anti-government demonstrators, the commissioner said it would not be possible as the law clearly states that candidates must sign up at locations designated by the EC only.

So the EC refused the offer of using police stations to register local candidates.

As for Pheu Thai's suggestion that the EC extend constituency candidate registration deadline for a few days, he said to do so would affect many aspects, including preparations for the Feb 2 general election.

EC ending up simply not registering any candidates at all in those Democrat controlled seats. It was a complete farse. Take a look at the picture in that story, there's only 32 people to block the registration. He wouldn't move the registration location, he wouldn't even request the police clear the location, it was crystal clear what he was up to.

I don't expect the games to end after the election, I suspect EC will try to annul the election, and if that fails, I'm not expecting them to run smooth by-elections in the South.

/rant

• Like 1

What is that strange old fashioned looking thing in the background? Is it clockwork??

I think I know why he has such difficulty doing his job. He's living in the past, I think it's the feudal age!

I guess we won't see by-elections for at least 6 months, the south of the country is really far when you travel by horse and cart! And highwaymen and robbers with their arrows and sticks are likely to cause violence!

Looks like a very old VT device, and the screen on the right is showing an episode of "The Muppets" (it's definitely Fozzie Bear)

Just getting in the mood then. a wacka wacka.

TUESDAY ! ..... One may think that this meeting may be important ???? oh well .....coffee1.gif

Scheduled by the EC chairman!!! oh well......coffee1.gif
Were does it say that? Maybe it was a mutual ..as in Ec chairman "this is urgent can we meet today " Yingluck " No. Now the traffic is so slack in Bkk. I'm going shopping "

Maybe something like that.. who knows!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker

TUESDAY ! ..... One may think that this meeting may be important ???? oh well .....coffee1.gif

Scheduled by the EC chairman!!! oh well......coffee1.gif

That seems to be putting a spin on what is stated in the article...

"Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has agreed to meet with Election Commission (EC) Chairman Supachai Somcharoen on Tuesday"

I don't see how you read into this sentence that the date was set by the EC Chairman.

Given that Supachai has been waiting for two weeks for the CPM to respond to his invitation to talks, the logical assumption is that the date was set by her...!

My observation is that Yingluck Shinawatra is getting stronger and stronger each day and her position as a Leader of the Government is undeniable. Crisis does indeed make a person.

But of course, you are observing through red-tinted glasses...!

• Like 1

Just another Thaksin thinks, Yingluck acts move..., and EC-member is freaking scared now moment

Yawn. Yet another boring hate Thaksin post that contributes absolutely nothing.

True, everyone already knows the Thaksin Thinks, Pheu Thai Acts slogan. However those of us that have more than a few years under our belts can use with the repetition, call it insurance and the curse of a failing memory in old age.

My observation is that Yingluck Shinawatra is getting stronger and stronger each day and her position as a Leader of the Government is undeniable. Crisis does indeed make a person.

I though that was Dr Frank-N-Furter?

Still don't understand why the EC thinks postponing the election will calm the protests down and change the election situation

in the future. The only thing the EC has demonstrated is its incompetence in organizing safe venues for candidates to

register for the election and failure to provide safe advance poling stations. If the elections are postponed all these EC's

need to resign and be replaced with competent EC's.

• Like 1

I think she is desperate to cling to power, otherwise she'll be off to join The Desert Coward in exile.