Alcohol sales.

Rooo

No alcohol sold starting 6 pm today until midnight tomorrow due to advanced voting.

I know the big supermarkets have signs, well Makro has. But since the South is against it is it going to be enforced?

Four years or so ago I'd forgotten about a no alcohol day until early evening. Was going to have a spot of dinner, couple of beers and watch a movie. Hadn't been in this place long so didn't know any local stores so figured I'd go down to the local agricultural mom and pop store and see if I could persuade them to sell me a couple. When I got there, there were a dozen locals sitting outside drinking beer.

What planet does Roo, ( our beloved local, global moderator ) live on ??.....

Walk down any road on Samui or Phangan, visit any 10 shops, and they all will happily sell you a beer.... any time of day and all day long....

Walk down any road on Samui or Phangan, visit any 10 shops, and they all will happily sell you a beer.... any time of day and all day long....

Pointing out that both you and the shopkeeper will be breaking the law.

Australia day today, wonder if he is out breaking the law in celebration of Australia becoming part of the UK all those years ago.

Edited by notmyself

wai.gif ... clap2.gif ... rolleyes.gif ...

Pointing out that both you and the shopkeeper will be breaking the law.

Australia day today, wonder if he is out breaking the law in celebration of Australia becoming part of the UK all those years ago.

Makro alcohol section closed today with a big barrier stopping folks from going in. Many bewildered tourists.

Now I know that this will come as quite a surprise to some of you, but.... people and shops do actually break the law here in Thailand.

I have heard that some people ride motorbikes without wearing a helmet. AND some actually do not posess a driving license for said bike.

The fact is that 7/11's, FamilyMarts etc break the law EVERY day by selling alcohol before 11 am and between 2 and 5 pm. Why are some of you surprised that you can buy booze at these places when the law states that you cannot?

I have been able to buy booze during every election here in Thailand since I first arrived 21 years ago, but the breaking of the rules is a lot more flagrant now. (Memories of drinking Kloster from a chipped coffee mug in a bar in Soi Nana!)

Thank you for the update Rooo. It reminded me to shop somewhere else. burp.gif

• Like 1

I have heard that some people ride motorbikes without wearing a helmet. AND some actually do not posess a driving license for said bike.

I've a Saleng so can't get a license nor insurance. Still wear a helmet regardless.

Far out! Shot down the local mart for a couple of beers and there was a police stop point in the middle of nowhere. Granted I had a helmet on but Salengs are illegal, they just waved me on! OK around here but wouldn't fancy my chances out of town.

Makro alcohol section closed today with a big barrier stopping folks from going in. Many bewildered tourists.

Now I know that this will come as quite a surprise to some of you, but.... people and shops do actually break the law here in Thailand.

The fact is that 7/11's, FamilyMarts etc break the law EVERY day by selling alcohol before 11 am and between 2 and 5 pm. Why are some of you surprised that you can buy booze at these places when the law states that you cannot?

I have been able to buy booze during every election here in Thailand since I first arrived 21 years ago, but the breaking of the rules is a lot more flagrant now. (Memories of drinking Kloster from a chipped coffee mug in a bar in Soi Nana!)

No alcohol for sale in soi Nana or soi Cowboy for that matter last Saturday night TE, not even in coffee mugs. (So I've been told). whistling.gif

• Like 1

No alcohol for sale in soi Nana or soi Cowboy for that matter last Saturday night TE, not even in coffee mugs. (So I've been told). whistling.gif

OMG - this could mean the end of the world as we know it! facepalm.gif