Rimping Price Increase

junglechef

This is all a bit fishy............ doesn't most of the beef sold here come from Australia ,NZ , Argentina etc.

A program on ABC Australia TV last night was saying that beef producers in Australia are currently not even covering their cost of producing animals

for slaughter due to the massive increase in grain feed and drought conditions in many areas. Farmers were getting as low as $3 a kg (90 baht) at market.

So why the shortage ? perhaps Rimping should spell out why.

Its not only beef the price of shrimp seems to have doubled in the last 6 months and that is local.

I also saw the sign the other day. I think this is in reference to local Thai beef. The prices have continually gone up and up over the past couple of years and the Thai beef is now more expensive than US and Australian beef or at the least the prices are comparable. Strange in a country where corn is cheap and there are few transportation and butchering costs. At The Duke's we have been using US Black Angus chuck and shortplate for our burgers for a few months. The price is cheaper and the the quality and yield are better. If I had to take a guess for the price increase for the local beef I would have to say that according to Thai supply and demand economics the sales volume is down and so the price has to go up so there can be more profit. I've been looking to switch to Australian or American burger beef for years so I wish the local farmers good luck and I thank them for helping me to make the change.

Reads like the same supply and demand economics in Spain. If you have fewer customers in your bar/restaurant, then you put your prices up to make the same 'profit'. Do that a couple of times and wonder why you go bust. Hmmm.....

The price of milk has also gone up,from 84 Bht to 89 Bht at Makro 2 ltre

these cows must be millionaires .

regards Worgeordie

Same at the 711.. a whopping 5% increase and I am a large consumer of milk biggrin.png

Strange that this does not get the same harsh response from the foreigners as the alcohol tax increase. Guess we know what most farangs like.

On the boring subject of shopping, just bought 400g McGarrett oats for my muesli for 89.50 at Big C , then in Makro buying 2kg of Anchor Cheddar for my GF(who says Thai dont like cheese?!) - same Oats 39bht! So wont need to shop for oats anytime soon!

On the boring subject of shopping, just bought 400g McGarrett oats for my muesli for 89.50 at Big C , then in Makro buying 2kg of Anchor Cheddar for my GF(who says Thai dont like cheese?!) - same Oats 39bht! So wont need to shop for oats anytime soon!

On the oats..my favourite breakfast these cool mornings.thumbsup.gif .....Big C must have made an error...i usually buy the 400 packs also 39 baht most shops..up from 31 not too long ago

[how do some things jump near 30% ....way above inflation] anyway a 1kg pack at Macro was about 90baht...

Welcome to inflation driven by excess western liquidity which is wreaking havoc in emerging markets. The US is basically exporting their inflation. Regardless of what TPTB say, food inflation is roughly 50% over the last 5 years. Plan accordingly.

http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/templates/ess/documents/consumer/CPI_Jan_2014.pdf

Edited by Loptr

Who was the author of that famous book, 100 Things To Do With Oats (101 if you eat the f#ck@n things)?

• Like 1

Welcome to inflation driven by excess western liquidity which is reeking havoc in emerging markets. The US is basically exporting their inflation. Regardless of what TPTB say, food inflation is roughly 50% over the last 5 years. Plan accordingly.

http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/templates/ess/documents/consumer/CPI_Jan_2014.pdf

Most people seem to blame a lot of price increases on the growing demand from China and beef is one of those products that have been affected. Consider it to be like the increase in the price of cigarettes ..... an incentive to cut down. The increase in booze prices we've just got to grin and bear.

Cutting back on meat consumption is probably beneficial to most people but cutting back on alcohol, drugs or sex won't help you live any longer, but it will feel like it.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Imported food is subject to a lot of variables in determining the prices, but I noted yesterday that 2 litres of milk is now 10 baht more than it was in May last year. Cooking is my hobby;numbers are my lifeblood. An increase of 12 and a bit percent in 8 months. Inflation is certainly making it's mark in produce.

I also saw the sign the other day. I think this is in reference to local Thai beef. The prices have continually gone up and up over the past couple of years and the Thai beef is now more expensive than US and Australian beef or at the least the prices are comparable. Strange in a country where corn is cheap and there are few transportation and butchering costs. At The Duke's we have been using US Black Angus chuck and shortplate for our burgers for a few months. The price is cheaper and the the quality and yield are better. If I had to take a guess for the price increase for the local beef I would have to say that according to Thai supply and demand economics the sales volume is down and so the price has to go up so there can be more profit. I've been looking to switch to Australian or American burger beef for years so I wish the local farmers good luck and I thank them for helping me to make the change.

The wholesale price of raw milk has not gone up

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Having discussed the price of beef, eggs and milk I'm surprised that no one has raised the topic of another staple ...... Beer. I've heard stories of large Singha falling from 645ml to 500ml bottles whilst the price has stayed the same in the bars. This is being considered as a crime against humanity by some and there's talk of the UN getting involved.

Having discussed the price of beef, eggs and milk I'm surprised that no one has raised the topic of another staple ...... Beer. I've heard stories of large Singha falling from 645ml to 500ml bottles whilst the price has stayed the same in the bars. This is being considered as a crime against humanity by some and there's talk of the UN getting involved.

Not all that long ago a "large bottle" of beer was 750ml....it sure is a crime..