Christian Farang woman

Robininbkk

I could not believe what I have just witnessed today while doing groceries at the market with my gf. I saw a caucasian female handling out cards. My gf as curious as she is, took one. It was all written in Thai. She told me it was about christianity! I thought she was handing out cards to promote her freelancing English tutoring.

I wonder what this woman is thinking of achieving in a country where 95% of the population is buddhist and buddhism is practised bij practically all Thais.

FYI, she is tall, slim, short hair (feminist housewife style) and approximately 40-45 years.

PS. for the lady of this subject, if you recognise yourself in this description, could you please explain your action,philosophy and moral? I am curious.

I really don't understand why the OP cares if people spread their faith. It wasn't like she was yelling at the Buddhists stating that they were all burning in hell. There are a lot of Christians and Muslims in Thailand and by law in the constitution their right to practice their faith is guaranteed.

I don't find it offensive if someone is passing out cards sharing their faith. There are many Buddhists that believe in Christianity also.

I wonder if the OP saw a woman handing out nude photos of Asian women if he would be protesting.

• Like 1

I really don't understand why the OP cares if people spread their faith. It wasn't like she was yelling at the Buddhists stating that they were all burning in hell. There are a lot of Christians and Muslims in Thailand and by law in the constitution their right to practice their faith is guaranteed.

I don't find it offensive if someone is passing out cards sharing their faith. There are many Buddhists that believe in Christianity also.

I wonder if the OP saw a woman handing out nude photos of Asian women if he would be protesting.

Believing and practising is not the same as i experienced lately with a thai minister in a church in the town my kids live. Saddening his mentality.

Believing and practising is not the same as i experienced lately with a thai minister in a church in the town my kids live. Saddening his mentality.

Wanna elaborate on your comment or is this a guessing game?

Edited by Sayonarax
  • Like 1

On the skytrain in 2001 a chap (who behaved like Ned Flanders) came up to me, sidled along the seat and told me he was some form of Christian and was trying to convert Thais over. I asked him how that was going and gave me a resigned look and said "not all that well".

• Like 1

Xians do a lot of bad in Thailand and other countries in Asia. I feel the same as the OP does about that woman. OP, you do not need to apologize.

Big difference between Buddhists and Xians: Buddhists don't cry to cram their religion down other people's throats, don't try to get people to give up their religion for theirs. This is one of many Xian sects' (especially the "born again" ones) major goals. My way or the highway.

And one sees plenty of them screaming at Buddhists that they're going to hell...the ones that used to stand at the entrances to Nana and Soi Cowboy, for one. One of those groups, Nightlight, is particularly evil and is an organization that tries to "save" sex workers but actually screws them over in many ways, I have detailed first-hand knowledge of this.

Edited by Ajaan
  • Like 2

Xians do a lot of bad in Thailand and other countries in Asia. I feel the same as the OP does about that woman. OP, you do not need to apologize.

Big difference between Buddhists and Xians: Buddhists don't cry to cram their religion down other people's throats, don't try to get people to give up their religion for theirs. This is one of many Xian sects' (especially the "born again" ones) major goals. My way or the highway.

And one sees plenty of them screaming at Buddhists that they're going to hell...the ones that used to stand at the entrances to Nana and Soi Cowboy, for one. One of those groups, Nightlight, is particularly evil and is an organization that tries to "save" sex workers but actually screws them over in many ways, I have detailed first-hand knowledge of this.

Nightlight teaches jewelry making and trades like hairdressing free of charge. The screw over is likely occuring at the bars you frequent.

• Like 2

Christian missionaries don't tend to hang out in countries with 95% Christian populations, that would be a waste of time...

They need a big target audience to get a few converts..

Leave them woman alone, she's doing what she thinks is right. You are under no obligation to listen to her.

I don't know everything but is it not obvious in 2014 that there is one god or one source, one energy.. instead of foolish people indoctrinating people with one's own view's.

Edited by lmfao

I don't know everything but is it not obvious in 2014 that there is one god or one source, instead of foolish people indoctrinating people with one's own view's.

Like you just attempted to do ?

I isn't the one handing out flyers, I am just giving my view on the topic.

Ok I never knew there were missionaries in Thailand. And I wasnt degrading anyone, just mentioning. I was just wondering because it seems odd. So it seems I am more odd. I apologize for this then.

"feminist housewife style"

out of topic, LaraC, i dont where you found my picture, and use it like your avatar, but its really hurting me, so please can you delete itwhistling.gif

• Like 2

Ok I never knew there were missionaries in Thailand. And I wasnt degrading anyone, just mentioning. I was just wondering because it seems odd. So it seems I am more odd. I apologize for this then.

"feminist housewife style"

out of topic, LaraC, i dont where you found my picture, and use it like your avatar, but its really hurting me, so please can you delete itwhistling.gif

Sum's up the debating intellect of some of The TV member's, I give up LMFAO cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I came across a few christian Thais, they thankfully left me alone, but I saw a few Filipinos who were trying to convert me, so I tried the nice version along these lines: "do what makes you happy, I'll do what makes me happy". It often didn't work so well, so I then just got to the point: "I'm an atheist!" ... and they ran... and ran... giggle.gif

You've never seen missionaries in Thailand? There are some just up the street in our moo bahn. My previous boss, a Thai national, is a Christian. Really don't understand your confusion or why you find it strange. If you wanted to find out more about her seems you missed your chance at the market as I'm sure she would have been quite happy to explain it to you. wink.png

There are Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses, Catholics, Christians, etc. and associated churches here so bound to run into one on occasion.

Unfortunately very true...non-brights the lot of them...believing some dead Jew who may or not have lived in Palestine around 2000 years ago created the universe. Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I wonder what this woman is thinking of achieving in a country where 95% of the population is buddhist and buddhism is practised bij practically all Thais.

That much of the populace is 'Buddhist' here (it's not 95% btw) is more a convenience/default thing--i.e. it wasn't by choice, they're not living in a predominantly Muslim/Christian country. Few adhere to the virtues of Buddhism or 'practice' anything.

Anyway, you're clearly a newbie (which is not a bad thing) and guessing it felt good to diss this woman to your other half on why she would push this dastardly religion on Thai people? Truth is that the Thais aren't bothered and neither should you be, it's not a farang-only thing. As stated, it's been going on for eons and as long as she wasn't in anyone's face, then there shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

The ultimate ARROGANCE: I am among the CHOSEN PEOPLE and if YOU do not share my beliefs you'll fry in HELL.

Religion is like a PENIS: It's fine to have one and be proud of it but the minute you feel the need to pull it out and wave it around in public then we have a problem.

• Like 1

A few years ago I used to use the public bus for about 4 hours per day.

I liked to talk (in Thai) to the Thai people that sat beside me.

We talked about all kinds of subjects, but most conversations were about the difference between our lifestyles, work, family and religion.

I met very motivated Buddhists that tried to explain me in gentle words why their religion is better but I've also met a lot of Thai Christians.

Most Thai Christians are very religious and they passionately spoke about their religion.

They are a minority group and I think this the reason why they are so motivated.

I don't feel offended at all when somebody talks to me about their religion (even though I am not religious) .

It helped me to learn some Thai and I think we should be open to all kinds of opinion and views.

Nowadays, the effect the foreign missionaries have on Thai society is minimal: there are probably much more farang switching to Buddhism than Thai switching to Christianity.

Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 1

The ultimate ARROGANCE: I am among the CHOSEN PEOPLE and if YOU do not share my beliefs you'll fry in HELL.

Religion is like a PENIS: It's fine to have one and be proud of it but the minute you feel the need to pull it out and wave it around in public then we have a problem.

Well, if you see that woman with the feminist housewife haircut why not just pull out your pecker and shake it at her?