Chromecast in BKK?

DogNo1

Thought this was the Bangkok forum! Anyway, I could not find the Chromecast in MBK. Thanks for referring me to Lazada. Although it's $35 on Google Play, Lazada charges 1,990 THB. I suppose that the extra cost is due to importation and shipping charges and Lazada's markup. I guess an extra $25 is not too bad. Thanks.

I didn't find a Chromecast at Panthip today but I did find a device called MINI TV for Android. I paid 1,600 for it. I haven't tried it out yet but it runs Android 4.1, Flash 11.X and HTML 5. Its CPU is a Cortex A-9 dual core 1.6 GB. I'll let you know how it works out.

The Mini TV didn't work out. Neither did the mini Bluetooth keyboard that I bought to use with it. The Mini TV won't stream video from YouTube and the mini keyboard won't connect to the Mini TV. My PC, Android phone and Android tablet stream from the web and YouTube just fine. I'm going to try to return them at the stores in Phantip tomorrow. Don't know if they'll take them back or not. It seems that Chromecast is the best small-factor streaming solution so I'll probably buy one from Lazada. Just can't find one at Phantip.

userabcd: Do you happen to remember the floor or location of the small shop where you saw the Chromecast? Thanks.

I realize it's a different approach...

But alternatives would be:

--Connecting your Android tablet to your TV via a micro HDMI cable, if your tablet has such an outlet, or

--Connecting your PC to your TV using any variety of video cable combinations/interfaces.

I just keep a spare laptop in the bedroom next to my main TV, and connect the two via cables for audio and video. I've yet to find anything I like better than that approach for getting video from the Internet onto my "dumb" TV, especially because the PC gives you very good control over things like VPN and proxies, whereas streaming boxes often don't.

When the Chromecast first came out in the U.S., I took a long look at them and obviously they were/are cheap. But in the end, I could never find an advantage to them over my laptop-TV combo that make it worth spending $25 to $35 for the purchase...not to mention that the device, as I recall it, also requires its own external power supply because it isn't powered thru the TV HDMI port.

You are right. The Chromecast requires a connection to an external USB power supply. I have used the solution you described for my PCs and Nexus 10 but I'm going to give my Nexus 7 to a friend who would like to stream its contents to his big-screen TV. The Nexus 7 has no way to connect to HDMI physically that I know of. Thanks.

You might find this thread informative, once you wade past all the back and forths -- just the same as here on ThaiVisa... smile.png

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/sGbCEDdWNWw

Interesting couple posts in that thread:

I recently bought a Samsung 9000 series TV. It took me less than 30 sec. to mirror my N7 screen on the TV using the Cast option on the device together with Mirroring option enabled on the TV. Just love it...
All you have to do is select mirroring option under source option on your smart TV. Then go to your Nexus tablet's settings And choose display option. Under display the last setting will be Cast screen, select that and you'll notice a mirror of your tablet screen on your TV. That's it, simple.
I just checked my wife's 2012 Nexus 7 wifi tablet (ver 4.4.2) here at home, and indeed under Settings/Display, I do see the last menu option as "Cast Screen". When I select that, I get a message on the tablet screen saying "no compatible devices nearby."
I'd have to do some more checking/research on just what kind of devices that "Cast Screen" feature in 4.4.2 devices is supposed to connect with.
Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Here's also an Android device to TVs mirroring app from the Google Play Store (not sure if it's available in the Thai version, but definitely in the U.S. version) from one of the Clockwork Mod guys...

AllCast
ClockworkMod
- January 12, 2014
Description
AllCast lets you send photos, music, and videos on your Android to your TV!

AllCast supports:

* Roku
* Apple TV
* Xbox 360, Xbox One
* Samsung, Sony and Panasonic Smart TVs
* DLNA Renderers
* WDTV

Chromecast will be supported when Google allows it!

This is the free version of AllCast, which has a 1 minute viewing limit on pictures and videos. Upgrade to the premium version to remove the viewing limit.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.cast

So it looks like this allows for remote viewing on the TV of local files on the Android tablet -- videos, photos, audio files.

But it appears to not support web browser or app based streaming content from the Android tablet onto the remote device.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Thanks for the guidance. I have an extra WDTV to give to my friend so he should be able to mirror the 2012 Nexus 7 OK. I'll have to check his TV. It's relatively new so it might be a smart TV so he might not even need the WDTV.

Regarding the Mini TV and the non-functioning mini keyboard - I took them back to the shop today and they exchanged them for ones that work. Right now I'm playing a YouTube program on my TV from the Mini TV. It's not an alternative to the cast mirroring from the Nexus 7 but it is a nice stand-alone solution. I changed the resolution to 720P and it looks pretty good!

Sounds like you might well be able to get a working mirroring setup with the 2012 Nexus 7 after all... Hope it works out.

That will be something I'll be thinking about the next time we get a new TV in the house, i.e., that it has or supports Android device mirroring thru DLNA or any of the proprietary setups like Samsung and a few others seem to have between their Android apps and their smart TVs.

From what I gather, the Chromecast connects to the TV via HDMI and is basically similar to what you may have bought (what is the name and model of your device and is it suppoted by ROM upgrades?) I find that blue tooth accessories are a bit flaky connecting to android devices and hence avoid using them, preferring to use a USB dongle with a keyboard, airmouse and mouse. A few days ago I was in Panthip to locate the store where I originally saw the chromecasts in the store window, and I eventually found the store had moved from the 2nd floor up to the 4th floor. The store name is Projector 108 (in Panthip and Fortune) I enquired about availability of the chromecast and the guy went to check on the shelves but came back and told me that they are out of stock. They had ordered some more and would be receiving more stock in about 3 weeks. The price quoted was about 2900 baht which is dear compared to what you can find on internet. The mini pc which you bought, I would think could connect to the TV and stream You tube and you could download many apps from google play This is basically what a chromecast could do. I myself use a tronsmart/beelink MK908 which I bought in Panthip (PCSupply) and a Minix X7 which I bought in Fortune.

Hi,

Reference post #24

Ordered mine for 1800 baht. Paid last night and will receive it before the 27th. Friend of mine ordered it as well and got it delivered really quick already.

Looking forward to it, had a mini-android PC ordered via Aliexpress first but that takes a lot of time and this I can connect with my S4 :-)

https://www.facebook...chromecast.shop

ThaiChromecast Shop (Third Party Unofficial) ThaiChromecast The #1 unofficial third-party sellers selling imports from trusted retailer.

https://www.facebook.com/thaichromecast.shop

Thai Chromecast Community

http://www.thaichromecast.com/

Ky,

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

You can buy this on Lazada.co.th for 1700 baht and pay cash on delivery . I did it today.If you buy online Ebay etc you pay at least that with shipping from 800-1100 baht

Just a couple of days ago ordered a Chromecast via eBay USD49.88.

Edit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Google-Chromecast-2-2015-2-0-HDMI-TV-WIFI-Media-Streamer-CORAL-BRAND-NEW-/351597018700?hash=item51dcd0be4c:g:Ft0AAOSwNphWYpst

Edited by ravip