Hotel Feb

Hot today

Me, wife and three young kids. First time Chiang Rai. Ideas on hotel/resort/villa upto 3.5K a night. Swimming pool and reasonably close to town. Looked at Agoda just want some ideas from locals with knowledge. Thanks in advance guys. Made a mistake, should be Chiang rai Forum

Edited by Hot today

There is a very wide choice here depending on what you like and need. In fact it is hard to find a hotel above that price here at the moment. I suggest having a look at Agoda again and then posting what you are looking for and which hotels you will find and we will try to tell you how the hotels fit your needs.

Thanks for moving. Weve both wanted to go to Chiang Rai for years and never had the chance, We are mobile so location isnt imperative. You know what Chiang Rai conjures up, so somewhere tranquil with scenery however not miles from anywhere. Lanna Style/Traditional Thai. As we have three kids need a pool and gardens. Just looked and called The legend. Have bedroom villas with private pool and reasonable rates so something like that would be ideal. is there anything similar as they couldnt confirm.

Meridien, it's excellent.

Not quite so good for kids I think and a little far from town for most.

For kids I think Rimkok would be better and has the advantage of a reasonably priced buffet lunch of pretty fair standard. (Not gourmet but totally adequate.) And has very large grounds and a nice swimming pool. You do need your own transport.

Some smaller places may fill the bill well too.

Legend seems fairly good and is next to a long walk along the river through a complex of tennis courts and parks which have nice sitting laces under salas.

Edited by harrry

It'll be just fine for children plus there's a regular shuttle bus to and from the town.

And if you want to buy an ice cream or coke for them where and how much if you stay there?

Bt the way do you or Mrs CM work there by any chance?

Edited by harrry

It'll be just fine for children plus there's a regular shuttle bus to and from the town.

And if you want to buy an ice cream or coke for them where and how much if you stay there?

No Harry, Mrs CM works for (was) The Chedi in Chiang Mai and I'm retired, it's just that we stayed there three weeks ago and we were both really impressed with all aspects.

No Harry, Mrs CM works for (was) The Chedi in Chiang Mai and I'm retired, it's just that we stayed there three weeks ago and we were both really impressed with all aspects.

Sorry then chiangmai. I know tthat you wife used to work for the Chedi and with the changes you mentioned in one of your topics and having seen a couple of your posts here about the meridian I though it may be another case of undeclared interest. I agree the meridian is a good hotel. I do not know whether it is the best choice for kids, especially little ones. As an example take into account the huge unfenced water feature in the middle of it.

Just back from Duisit Island resort.

Loved it - hated the obscene prices for breakfast and the minibar - so we didn't use those facilities.

Attentive and helpful staff. Courtesy buggy to main gate then 10/15 min walk into town (or samlor 50 Baht)

The town is nothing special but good food at Poo Lair (wrong spelling but phonetic) and Leelawadee (on the river) - the latter is good on the return journey from the white temple which is a must see.

• Like 1

Dusit also no availability for family. Legend have just emailed me back with availability but the price is double and more what she quoted on the phone, and although a special occassion dosnt warrant spending over $400 a night just on accommodation. Any other recomendations greatly appreciated. Its the first time tried booking for a family as we normally stay with friends/relatives if going anywhere so am a bit suprised that major resorts dont represent families in a bigger way.

Dusit also no availability for family. Legend have just emailed me back with availability but the price is double and more what she quoted on the phone, and although a special occassion dosnt warrant spending over $400 a night just on accommodation. Any other recomendations greatly appreciated. Its the first time tried booking for a family as we normally stay with friends/relatives if going anywhere so am a bit suprised that major resorts dont represent families in a bigger way.

I am surpised Rimkok does not have availability. Have you phoned them direct?

Harry I havnt but think will do so now and with any others also.

Called and no availability for one day in the middle of my dates.

You did not say how old your kids are. Maybe they could stay in adjacent rooms. They do not charge kids under 12 for the buffet.

There are a host of other places though but I cannot make a personal recomendation.

Have you considered taking a trip to say ChiangSaen or up the hills for that day or a couple more.

Thats a good idea Harry. Kids are 4,6,8...and a handfullaugh.png

Rimkok does have large grounds for them to run around and let off steam. Pool is away from the living area so probably safe. Staff have always been genuinly friendly. I haven't stayed but havegone for buffets. No charge for children for the buffet and they are welcome.

After three days of searching/phoning, I can honestly say that the hotels are very anti kids. Great offer at Bandara for private pool villa only to be told a chalet would be more suitable....at a quarter of the size I cant see how that is possible. Thanks for all the reccomendations but looks like it will be somewhere in the Southern provinces that have a vast selection on offer.