Food Dehydrator + Sprouter

Kitsune

Hello

I am looking for these two items in BKK/Thailand, any help would be greatly appreciated.

So far I have been to:

- Main BKK Malls

- Chatuchak and next door plant market

- Shanti Asoke

- Royal Project shop

Thank you in advance for your help

K

PS : I know I can naturally dehydrate food by exposing it on the sun for a day like Thai people do.

Unfortunately I cannot watch it to keep birds away and need to be able to leave the house

post-160839-0-38055800-1390703725_thumb.

post-160839-0-52982700-1390703867_thumb.

I use my oven on defrost mode, I can control the temp up to 150 deg C. I have sprouted wheat grass many times out doors and the birds dont touch it. I supose you could cover it with plastic wrap if you feel the need.

I don't have an oven and I really don't need one except for doing what you mention, which is a misuse, but i might just do that yes if the natt thing fails

I am thinking of afalfa /lentils/ beans

Ive tried chick peas and lentils in jar they get moldy.... it's too humid here.

The birds worry is more for the drying: having things like tomatoes (to make sundries ) aubergines (to make crackers) on one of these drying natt might attract them, plus right now the sun is not that hot.Plus my only stable and flat surface is on my table where my doggies (in avatar) loves to sunbath smile.png

post-160839-0-44318100-1391046973_thumb.

Edited by Kitsune

• 7 months later...

I use my oven on defrost mode, I can control the temp up to 150 deg C. I have sprouted wheat grass many times out doors and the birds dont touch it. I supose you could cover it with plastic wrap if you feel the need.

I don't have an oven and I really don't need one except for doing what you mention, which is a misuse, but i might just do that yes if the natt thing fails

The birds worry is more for the drying: having things like tomatoes (to make sundries ) aubergines (to make crackers) on one of these drying natt might attract them, plus right now the sun is not that hot.Plus my only stable and flat surface is on my table where my doggies (in avatar) loves to sunbath smile.png

Hey there :D

Yesterday I went to a cooking store looking for some sausage making materials. A big store but mom and pop shop. I came across these what appear to be flour sifters. Plastic ones with metal screens (FOR 79 bath each!.) They just so happen to sit on top of each other like the photo you show. I know which sprouters you were looking at as was I. I also bought a cheap soup bowl with lid for about the same price. I have three levels already growing sprouts today! I'm using chia seeds and broccoli seeds. None fell through the screen at all. I can get out almost all the water too quite easily.

I also looked at makro and found they had similar type flour sifters much larger with handles. How convenient is that? They will also sit on top of each other with enough space to keep it compact enough until you're ready to put them in the indirect sunlight.

If you're looking to keep mold out of your sprouts, use 1/4 tablespoon of citric acid per pint of rinsing water. If you are looking for an amazing deal on sprouting seeds and need citric acid. go to iherb.com They sell broccoli seeds and other sprouting seeds much much cheaper than here. I bought 300 gm of sprouting seeds from villa market for 600 + baht :( Iherb.com is 113 gm for $5.29. But you can order more for a discount and shipping to Thailand is only $4 for up to 4 pounds!!! I just found out about them too. They also have an awesome sprouting mix for only $6 for a pound. Use http://www.iherb.com?rcode=CHF576 discount code and you can get $10 off your first order. Code CHF576

Good luck!

• Like 1

Oh yeah, and as far as dehydrating your food, you can get those plastic or bamboo covers thai people use to cover their food. It might take just a bit longer to dehydrate but at least you won't need to worry about the birds or most bugs. If you live in a condo and the roof isn't being used, you can always bring it up there or to a friends!

If you can find one on Amazon (note the differences in Voltage, I used Amazon.de) they ship many things to Thailand.

The shipping is fair prices AND they charge you the import duty/VAT with the product and take care of the customs clearing.

If they pay more it is their problem you pay what you see on the webpage.

If they pay less duty they refund the difference, and they really do....I got some money back.

I can really recommend their service.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there biggrin.png

Yesterday I went to a cooking store looking for some sausage making materials. A big store but mom and pop shop. I came across these what appear to be flour sifters. Plastic ones with metal screens (FOR 79 bath each!.) They just so happen to sit on top of each other like the photo you show. I know which sprouters you were looking at as was I. I also bought a cheap soup bowl with lid for about the same price. I have three levels already growing sprouts today! I'm using chia seeds and broccoli seeds. None fell through the screen at all. I can get out almost all the water too quite easily.

I also looked at makro and found they had similar type flour sifters much larger with handles. How convenient is that? They will also sit on top of each other with enough space to keep it compact enough until you're ready to put them in the indirect sunlight.

If you're looking to keep mold out of your sprouts, use 1/4 tablespoon of citric acid per pint of rinsing water. If you are looking for an amazing deal on sprouting seeds and need citric acid. go to iherb.com They sell broccoli seeds and other sprouting seeds much much cheaper than here. I bought 300 gm of sprouting seeds from villa market for 600 + baht sad.png Iherb.com is 113 gm for $5.29. But you can order more for a discount and shipping to Thailand is only $4 for up to 4 pounds!!! I just found out about them too. They also have an awesome sprouting mix for only $6 for a pound. Use http://www.iherb.com?rcode=CHF576 discount code and you can get $10 off your first order. Code CHF576

Good luck!

Thank you very much ! smile.png

That's very helpful I will go to Makkro

wai2.gif