Election officials may face criminal charges

Lite Beer

The good thing about today, it was a dry-run for February 2nd...As the saying goes, :"It doesn't matter what happens, it's what you do about it that counts".....Now the Democratic, pro-electoral majority have seen what the unelectables will try to do, in order to avoid voting....And they can assess how best to control it......It also exposes the EC, not that anymore could be exposed...They have been mirroring the coup-monger mantra's about voting avoidance, and they used the slimmest of reason to do so.....According to the UDD/RS, they were looking for a reason....To the point if a guy a block away gave out a yell,...Their reaction?..."Close the polling station... I know this is an exaggeration but that is the way the RS's are talking....

The only problem of course, is the Elitist user-friendly judiciary....That will protect these EC people who had every intent, almost pre-emptively, to scuttle voting where they had the least bit of cover to do so..

.I note with interest some opinions here, faulting attempts to hold those responsible to conduct an election, for not doing it, and holding them to account. In many cases there seems to be a double standard---One for Thailand, and one for their own country....The anti-electoral and anti-electoral Democracy in whatever form seems to be acceptable here, when I know they would be livid if it happened in their home country.

I seem to remember Abhisit offering an election in 2010, as per RS demands, then they refused and eventually forced a crackdown.

This was after months of violent intimidation and bullying, including an attack on Abhisit's car, if you remember.

But that was different, right? Thaksin needed the crackdown.

Those machete wielding, tyre burning, hospital raiding thugs are now in power, and let's just use one of their policies, the rice pledging scheme, as an example of how UTTERLY useless they are, unless you judge them on their ability to fill their own pockets.

An election won't solve any problems, not before some systems can be put in place to deter the further rape and pillage of Thailand.

Is that simple enough to understand?

It's very difficult for some people, including some of the international media, to see past the fact that the election is being blocked.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The EC has clearly been acting in a criminal manner for several weeks now. Charges should be brought. Of course, they will be like the charges against the airport occupiers and the officials that authorized the slaughter in 2010 - never see the inside of a courtroom.

And your qualifications in Thai law are exactly what? Are you a judge?

You could equally say the caretaker government have been acting illegally, issuing a SOE when the courts say the can't.

You would also support charges being laid against those responsible for orchestrating, commanding and financing the armed rebellion in 2010, as well as those charged with maintaining law and order.

The law applies to everyone - the caretaker government, their advisers and any quasi-legal departments they control, just as much as anyone else.

Thailand will only move forward once a real law enforcement agency actually enforces the law. And a gang headed by a convicted criminal ain't likely to do that.

The EC has one job - to hold the election. This seems to have been as close to a deliberate refusal to do so as possible. What other reason could they have for capitulating so easily to the protesters? Closing polling stations as soon as protesters arrived and refusing to call police in. Pretty poor job of it.

But as Somchai is all but wearing a whistle himself, I guess no one should be surprised at their actions today: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/23/world/asia/thailand-election.html

• Like 1

The good thing about today, it was a dry-run for February 2nd...As the saying goes, :"It doesn't matter what happens, it's what you do about it that counts".....Now the Democratic, pro-electoral majority have seen what the unelectables will try to do, in order to avoid voting....And they can assess how best to control it......It also exposes the EC, not that anymore could be exposed...They have been mirroring the coup-monger mantra's about voting avoidance, and they used the slimmest of reason to do so.....According to the UDD/RS, they were looking for a reason....To the point if a guy a block away gave out a yell,...Their reaction?..."Close the polling station... I know this is an exaggeration but that is the way the RS's are talking....

The only problem of course, is the Elitist user-friendly judiciary....That will protect these EC people who had every intent, almost pre-emptively, to scuttle voting where they had the least bit of cover to do so..

.I note with interest some opinions here, faulting attempts to hold those responsible to conduct an election, for not doing it, and holding them to account. In many cases there seems to be a double standard---One for Thailand, and one for their own country....The anti-electoral and anti-electoral Democracy in whatever form seems to be acceptable here, when I know they would be livid if it happened in their home country.

I seem to remember Abhisit offering an election in 2010, as per RS demands, then they refused and eventually forced a crackdown.

This was after months of violent intimidation and bullying, including an attack on Abhisit's car, if you remember.

Those machete wielding, tyre burning, hospital raiding thugs are now in power, and let's just use one of their policies, the rice pledging scheme, as an example of how UTTERLY useless they are, unless you judge them on their ability to fill their own pockets.

An election won't solve any problems, not before some systems can be put in place to deter the further rape and pillage of Thailand.

It's very difficult for some people, including some of the international media, to see past the fact that the election is being blocked.

What I remember is Abhisit offering a conditional "roadmap" to potential elections 9 months down the line. If he offered elections like YL please provide link.

The rice pledging scheme is a failed policy taken at a time when worldwide talks where about global food shortages and no end price increases, no doubt a wrong move but I don't see how it's lining his pockets. You want to see policies that directly line someone's pocket, rape the system as you put it, google "suthep palm oil".

Edited by firestar
  • Like 1

Shocked. I expected to read that charges would be filed, because they had negligently opened polls knowing full well that it was likely to become a volatile situation.

Postponement at the least seems to be the prudent thing to do, as the government, nor police seem to be capable of ensuring the safety of the people. Be they the protestors, the anti protestor protestors, or the voting public.

In case you have not been following.

The Thai Constitution says elections cannot be postponed unless there is a war, natural disaster and the like.

The Constitution Court this week said the same, and did not give any guidance as to what the list of reasons are that can delay an election, and did not say in any way shape or form that the present situation is enough to warrant a postponement. They simply confirmed that in the event of war or a natural disaster or countrywide emergency the election may be postponed.

In view of this, it would be illegal for the election to be postponed and it would result in the caretaker PM and caretaker government being subject to be taken to court for negligence and breaking the constitution.

This is just a game, they are trying to push for elections to be postponed which will then allow the government to be kicked out. But everyone knows it, well, apart from those still trying to say it should be postponed and the Constitution of Thailand breached, for their obvious gains............

All in my opinion of course.

Well, I must have missed something as there is a thread here in the news that states that the constitutional court has unanimously agreed that a postponement may go ahead without breaking the constitution.

Yes you have missed the DETAIL.

The Constitution Court ruled that, in line with the written Constitution of Thailand, an election may be postponed if the government and EC agree IN THE EVENT OF a national emergency, like war, natural disaster etc...

That is the detail.

The PDRC supporters have spun this to say it can be postponed anytime you want, provided EC and PM agree - BUT THAT IS NOT TRUE.

The Court only offered guidance that in the event of a war, national emergency etc.. as defined in the written constitution then, and only then can the election be delayed.

The Court did not state or imply the present situation of a few protests was enough to call a postponement. So if there is a postponement you can be sure the PDRC and Democrat Party will file complaints that the present situation is not enough and the election was postponed outside of the guidelines of the written constitution.

Please show me where it says in the constitution, or the written court verdict where it says a few demonstrations and protest, localized in certain area's, is enough to justify under a postponement.

Its not there, which is why YL is saying, the election continues.

The assassination of a protest leader during an advanced vote is a litmus test of things to come? When I say things to come I mean from the PTP, unless of course you blame Suthep for Suthin's assassination?

This whole thing...from the Shinawatras to Sutthep to the protestors, to the election committee...to the entire country...the corruption, the cover ups, love affairs...it is just a huge Thai soap opera..it is truly unbelievable how another story unfolds from a previous event..and seems to be never ending...who is really running things here is what I would like to know?..

Sorry but that question can't be answered on a public forum!coffee1.gif

I suggest to answer that you should go join some forums that are not compromised or muzzled by dark age style directives. Plenty of information out there just not inside this country ....

I'd bet that the DSI would love to include the Election Commissioners themselves, however, the Constitution states that "no Election Commissioner shall be arrested, detained or summoned by a warrant for inquiry except in the case where permission of the Election Commission is obtained or where the arrest is made in flagrante delicto." [section 241]

I guess it is time to charge then. The EC has been rubbish for the past few months and the smell of yellows is obvious.

Smell? More like stench! The said they'd resign if the government didn't let them mediate with Suthep. Suthep wanted dictatorial powers, he's not a political party, it was cross violation of the constitutional role to run elections and to be neutral to the political parties. Instead they treated Sutheps power grab as equal in weight to all the parties wanting democracy.

If the Senate wasn't so weighted with yellows, they'd have fired them on the spot. But they're not elected, so not answerable to the voters.

First they failed to register candidates in the south, Sutheps provinces, on the flimsiest of excuses.

Then they close polling stations that have 8 little old ladies at the gates.

When people don't answer to the Thai voters, ultimately they don't care about Thai people. And that's what we're seeing.

• Like 1

The Centre to Maintain Peace and Order reported that advance voting went on smoothly in 66 provinces whereas in the rest of the provinces, mostly in the South, and in Bangkok, there were protests to prevent voters from exercising their voting rights.

Just shows where the real educated people in Thailand are located.

Sadly I don't live in one of those educated places I live in Chiang Mai.sad.png

But aside from having all those uneducated red shirts around burning down fire engines and what not. Chiang Mai is a nice place to live.wai.gif

The EC has clearly been acting in a criminal manner for several weeks now. Charges should be brought. Of course, they will be like the charges against the airport occupiers and the officials that authorized the slaughter in 2010 - never see the inside of a courtroom.

And your qualifications in Thai law are exactly what? Are you a judge?

You could equally say the caretaker government have been acting illegally, issuing a SOE when the courts say the can't.

You would also support charges being laid against those responsible for orchestrating, commanding and financing the armed rebellion in 2010, as well as those charged with maintaining law and order.

The law applies to everyone - the caretaker government, their advisers and any quasi-legal departments they control, just as much as anyone else.

Thailand will only move forward once a real law enforcement agency actually enforces the law. And a gang headed by a convicted criminal ain't likely to do that.

When did the court rule on the SOE? I must've missed that.

He is just frothing at the mouth. No hope of criminal charges for EC commissioners.

There is no mention of the EC commissioners.

Whether you want to believe it or not there are multiple allegations of officials,

- Closing polling stations early

- Creating delays resulting in long lines so as to discourage voting

- Behaving in a hostile manner and not providing assistance at polling sites as they are required to do

The complaints were being made by voters who were frustrated by the behaviour of the personnel who's job it was to carry out the poll activity.

If people who are supposed to carry out their duties in an unbiased manner instead to so in a manner which undermines the integrity of the process and who display an overt bias, then they must be treated accordingly. The EC has the legal obligation to carry out the advance polls. Those polls were allowed to proceed by the constitutional "court".

How about some criminal charges against the police for doing absolutely nothing to prevent armed red shirts from driving up to the anti-government protesters, killing one and wounding at least four others in a fusillade of gunfire. Oh yes, it seems that they all got away...

some are the police.

Shocked. I expected to read that charges would be filed, because they had negligently opened polls knowing full well that it was likely to become a volatile situation.

Postponement at the least seems to be the prudent thing to do, as the government, nor police seem to be capable of ensuring the safety of the people. Be they the protestors, the anti protestor protestors, or the voting public.

The Thai Constitution says elections cannot be postponed unless there is a war, natural disaster and the like.

The Constitution Court this week said the same, and did not give any guidance as to what the list of reasons are that can delay an election, and did not say in any way shape or form that the present situation is enough to warrant a postponement. They simply confirmed that in the event of war or a natural disaster or countrywide emergency the election may be postponed.

In view of this, it would be illegal for the election to be postponed and it would result in the caretaker PM and caretaker government being subject to be taken to court for negligence and breaking the constitution.

This is just a game, they are trying to push for elections to be postponed which will then allow the government to be kicked out. But everyone knows it, well, apart from those still trying to say it should be postponed and the Constitution of Thailand breached, for their obvious gains............

Well, I must have missed something as there is a thread here in the news that states that the constitutional court has unanimously agreed that a postponement may go ahead without breaking the constitution.

The Constitution Court ruled that, in line with the written Constitution of Thailand, an election may be postponed if the government and EC agree IN THE EVENT OF a national emergency, like war, natural disaster etc...

That is the detail.

The PDRC supporters have spun this to say it can be postponed anytime you want, provided EC and PM agree - BUT THAT IS NOT TRUE.

The Court only offered guidance that in the event of a war, national emergency etc.. as defined in the written constitution then, and only then can the election be delayed.

The Court did not state or imply the present situation of a few protests was enough to call a postponement. So if there is a postponement you can be sure the PDRC and Democrat Party will file complaints that the present situation is not enough and the election was postponed outside of the guidelines of the written constitution.

Please show me where it says in the constitution, or the written court verdict where it says a few demonstrations and protest, localized in certain area's, is enough to justify under a postponement.

It continues. What does she have to.lose by continuing? Game is up for Suthep.

LOL! Something doesn't go well for the Shinawatras, sic Tarit and his DSI dogs on the offenders! How pathetic! bah.gif

I would say "something did not go well" for the democratic process.

Lest we in TVF forget, there are more than 2 political parties, and the numerous smaller parties are also not happy with the voting disruption.

• Like 1

the longer this goes on, the more corruption gets exposed and more people see, why the demonstrators are out there, peacefully demonstrating against corruption.

I just hope, that the military will stop this farce. How else, can it be brought to an end? Thaksin won't give up and neither will the other side. wai2.gif

Both sides have corruption.

Thai public opinion cast out the RS because the Reds laid siege to Bangkok in 2010 by camping in the city, tying up the city and for being involved in bloodshed and riot. The RS still haven't ever recovered from it.

Thai public opinion is against Suthep and his militants in the streets because they have camped out in Bangkok, laid siege to the city and want to stop the election.

The vast and moderate Thai political center rejects mob action Red or Yellow and wants to express its support Sunday for continued democracy and stable government in Thailand by voting in peace and security.

It's clear the voters, the government and the international community are all on the same side.

• Like 2

He said that election officials who were biased and who did not do their job properly could face criminal charges under Article 157 of the Criminal Code.

Is there anyone outside the PTP that this guy hasn't threatened? Where was this brave man when protesters took over his office? He is a trained attack dog with no teeth. He and Chalerm deserve each other, both muttering invective against peaceful protesters, and both to cowardly to do anything.

They know what the outcome would be.

DSI - Department of Shin Investigations.

As I understand it the DSI only takes over cases when asked / ordered to do so from the Justice Ministry but give Tarit a chance to shine in his master's eyes and he's in there.

Since he operates on behalf of Mr. T and his puppet administration Tarit need never worry about being disciplined for overstepping his authority.

Thailand's own Dynamic Duo - Chalerm and Tarit.

That is the detail.

And wouldn't you think that the declaration of State of Emergency by the caretaker government would fall into the category of a National Emergency...!

What I remember is Abhisit offering a conditional "roadmap" to potential elections 9 months down the line. If he offered elections like YL please provide link.

The rice pledging scheme is a failed policy taken at a time when worldwide talks where about global food shortages and no end price increases, no doubt a wrong move but I don't see how it's lining his pockets. You want to see policies that directly line someone's pocket, rape the system as you put it, google "suthep palm oil".

You're defending the rice pledging scheme?

I'd love to hear your detailed analysis of how it's all been going :) working out well is it?

Thai public opinion cast out the RS because the Reds laid siege to Bangkok in 2010 by camping in the city, tying up the city and for being involved in bloodshed and riot. The RS still haven't ever recovered from it.

Thai public opinion is against Suthep and his militants in the streets because they have camped out in Bangkok, laid siege to the city and want to stop the election.

The vast and moderate Thai political center rejects mob action Red or Yellow and wants to express its support Sunday for continued democracy and stable government in Thailand by voting in peace and security.

It's clear the voters, the government and the international community are all on the same side.

That would be the vast majority of Thais, the ones who think that corruption is ok as long as they benefit from it? No quick fix for that.

This protest is a desperate measure to save Thailand, just as the coup was in 2006.

I agree that's it's just my perspective, which, for the moment, I'm entitled to. Before the coup, half of these posts would have been deleted for fear of the forum being closed, by a certain 'democratically elected' person.

That would be the vast majority of Thais, the ones who think that corruption is ok as long as they benefit from it? No quick fix for that.

This protest is a desperate measure to save Thailand, just as the coup was in 2006.

I agree that's it's just my perspective, which, for the moment, I'm entitled to. Before the coup, half of these posts would have been deleted for fear of the forum being closed, by a certain 'democratically elected' person.

That would be the vast and moderate Thai political center, yes, the one that recoils at the extremism, intolerance and intemperate nature of Suthep, his mob and his backers. Yes, the vast majority of Thais who firmly support democracy and who oppose your feudal council with its secret blank check agenda of "reform."

And yes, the 2006 military mutiny coup d'état was the desperate act of desperate men in uniform and out of uniform, and the country to include fahlang continue to suffer the consequences of the coup, i.e., the loss of democracy which has compounded the country's problems and confounded its leaders and its citizens from the top to the bottom.

No more suspensions of democracy thank you by anyone at any time for any desperate motive, cause, fascist design.

"officials who were biased and who did not do their job properly could face criminal charges"

Would that also include the likes of police, army, government workers including teachers etc? Just wondering.

Well it would be most apparent Tarit himself should top the list of

"officials who were biased and who did not do their job properly".