How to heat my room?

BuffaloRescue

I live in Chiang Rai and its freezing.

I bought electric fan heater, only one i could find. Cost 1200 baht. It says its 1.8 kw and its using about 100 baht in electric in 10 hours.

Just wondering if there are any "safe" gas heaters available and how to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

Ive had gas heaters in England and used them inside but i beleive in UK there are some special kind of ventilation holes in buildings or perhaps the gas used produces less CO?

I mentioned the idea to someone here and they said its very dangerous "poison gas"

Any ideas? Could i get a cheap attachment heater for a LPG bottle and just leave one or two windows slightly open?

I bought electric fan heater, only one i could find. Cost 1200 baht. It says its 1.8 kw and its using about 100 baht in electric in 10 hours.

Sounds about right - they are expensive to use.

This is the safe solution to your temporary problem !

• Like 1

Turn up your air conditioning temperature.

Just being a realist, your usual air con does not blow hot air, by setting it above the ambient temperature will do nothing except give you a bigger electricity bill. If you have a dual system that's a different story, I just had my new house in China fitted with dual system, same as hotels and it cost me 65000 RMB . My house is over 4000 SQ m (yes that's a fact ) and all three floors have this system. Brilliant

. The only floors not covered are my lower floor which is my office and my basement.

Do not think of the stupidity mentioned about charcoal, even when the coals are red it gives off carbon monoxide, a sure killer. Cheapest and most obvious way OP is an electric blanket decent clothing and even two or three hot water bottles.

Keep safe and warm

A close friend of mine died from carbon monoxide poisoning running a heater in an enclosed space.

In a country with few competent tradespeople and no regulation in this area, stick with electric.

Here is the deal with natural gas and lpg heaters. Both fuels are hydrocarbons and when burned with oxygen produce carbon di-oxide and water vapour. Once the oxygen level in the room drops combustion is incomplete and instead of carbon di-oxide, carbon monoxide is produced. This is when the problems begin. When burning any fuel in an enclosed space you should always have sufficient ventilation to allow the oxygen levels to replenish and stop the production of carbon monoxide. When it is cold it is very tempting to close the window but please don't. Leave it open a little bit. This will also help stop the water vapour causing damp in your house.

A gas flame should be blue in colour. If the flame is yellow then there is not enough oxygen and carbon monoxide is probably being produced. If you feel sleepy then this could just be the heat but it is also a symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning so beware. If you feel sleepy then turn the fire off before you fall asleep.

Sent from my KFTT using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

me think the electric heater you are using is the best option, when itcomes with a sheep-wool pullover you are wearing while inside the house. Sleep in goosedowns brought into Thailand on your last flight , in order to meet the climate change occuring in Thailand appropriately ( or similar good duvets that can be had at Index and other stores) . Coal/Barbecue/Gas fires can kill you gently in your sleep !!

Weve always used gas for heating no problems just got to make sure theres some sort of ventilation,ive even used a gas ring burner for heat and it was so much cheaper than any electric heating source.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

If your 1.8kw heater is using 100 baht in 10 hours, the charge per unit for your lecky must be about 50 baht! Thinking that's a typo and you mean 10 baht. Either that or you're getting shafted somewhere.

It'll start warming up soon but in meantime try a duvet.

my family have been using a small 4kg propane burner for the last 5 yrs for the winter cold... we run it 14 hrs a day and cost of running it, is 130baht for 5 days use., of course you will need some ventilation. anyways we put a big pot of water on, after it boils have it turn down to a good simmer or adjust it to your liking.. don't forget to put a lid on the pot.

post-136725-0-38111200-1390778274_thumb.

Have tried this. It does provide a bit of heat. Not completely sure whether two pots are really necessary. The inner pot gets quite hot.

That said, the fumes from the candles can be a bit much, and so I've stopped using it. Others are welcome to give it a go, however, and see what they think.

Bigger candles didn't work all that well (oxygen starved higher up in the pot). And it's only cost effective if you can get the tea candles in bulk. Index Living Mall in Chiang Mai had them in packs of 50 for 119 Baht.

Sounds about right - they are expensive to use.

This is the safe solution to your temporary problem !

10 baht an hour to stay warm doesn't sound that expensive.

1.8 kw should use 1.8 kw/hr. If you pay 6 baht a kw, then you are about right in your calculation (6x 1.8 x hrs. run). Still much cheaper than A/C. Would love to find a small heater here in LOEI, but there are none! Enjoy the warmth.