Anger and violence rock voting in Bangkok, South

webfact

Anger and violence rock voting in capital, South
The Nation

30225270-01_big.gif
Anti-government protesters blocked the entrance to Ban Bang Kapi School in Bangkok, which was a polling station for advance voting yesterday.

Protest leader shot dead in Bang Na ; PDRC claims in blocking early ballots

BANGKOK: -- Advance voting for the national election was disrupted yesterday by violence, with the murder of an anti-government protest leader and a dozen people injured. This includes voters who wanted to cast ballots.

Police have said they will boost security, with 10 times the number of guards for the election next Sunday (February 2), which the government insists will go ahead.

Suthin Taratin, leader of People's Army to Overthrow the Thaksin Regime, was killed in an incident in Bang Na in which 10 others were injured. This took place outside a polling station when protesters were confronted by a pro-government mob during the campaign to derail the voting.

There were four incidents yesterday in different parts of Bangkok as anti-government protesters tried to prevent advance voting. Protesters confronted election officials at many polling stations while disputes broke out at many other places with voters and pro-government groups, police spokesman Piya Uthayo said. Police will boost their forces by 10 times the number used yesterday to provide security for the election next Sunday, he said, and would try to stop clashes between protesters and pro-government groups or voters, he said.

Protesters blamed the government and demanded that it take responsibility for the violence but vowed to continue to disrupt the election, leader Suthep Thaugsuban said. He called last night for troops to ensure the People's Democratic Reform Committee are safe from violence.

The PDRC regards their disruption of advance voting yesterday as a victory against the government. "The protesters always won over the government in all targeted areas," PDRC core leader Thaworn Senniam said.

Most polling stations in the South and 90 per cent of venues in Bangkok were completely shut down, he said.

Of the 375 constituencies in the country, 89 were unable to open for advance voting, according to Somchai Srisutthiyakorn, an election commissioner supervising elections. Only 440,000 or 22 per cent of the two million registered voters managed to cast their ballots, he said, but noted that the turnout was low even though most constituencies experienced no disruption.

Surapong Tovichakchaikul, supervisor of the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order, condemned the interference as a violation of the law and derailing of Thai democracy.

But most polling went smoothly. "The government insists that the election (on February 2) will go on as planned. Only 10 per cent were disrupted and the people who intervened in the voting will be punished by law," he said.

Surapong blamed the Election Commission (EC) for failing to ask for help from the government to provide safety for voters, and claiming some commissioners had "cooperated" with protesters.

The government would sue the EC for misconduct under Article 157 of the Criminal Code, he said.

EC chairman Supachai Somchareon said the government had the right to do that but the commission could defend itself and explain the situation.

"We have done our best and believe that the court will listen to us," he said.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra plans to meet members of the EC tomorrow to discuss election arrangements.

Somchai said he will propose that the government set a new election date, as the EC may not be able to run the ballot on Feb 2 smoothly. The EC had not cooperated with protesters to disrupt the election, he said.

The Constitutional Court ruled on Friday that the election could be held on a new date if it could not be held as per the original schedule. The court said the government and the EC must fix the new date.

Supachai said the EC was thinking of postponing the election but if the government wanted to continue and stage the poll, the EC may have no choice but to do that.

"If the government insists, we will go on although it's clear that we won't have 95 per cent of winners for the opening of Parliament," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-27

This will be a election to reinforce what we already know, that Pheu Thai listens to no-one but Thaksin. Despite the obvious, they persist in forcing their agenda in the most unreal of circumstances. Trumpeting the law as an excuse not to postpone, now they are clear to postpone, and suddenly ignore that defuser. And then have the temerity to call themselves the 'for Thai' party.

Yes, They have their own law and rules. Whatever they want them to be.

My prediction.

Yingluck will tell the EC that the election will go ahead on Feb 2. There will be some announcement that there is no need to cancel because disturbances are a figment of the medias imagination.

The election results will be a Pheu Thai majority (what else would be expected in a single party election).

There will be insufficient MP's to convene parliament.

They will then announce that their interpretation of the constitution lets them appoint MP's, or fill the seats with party list MP's assigned to the constituency, or maybe that the 95% rule doesn't apply for some reason. There will be tears as they tell everyone they have no choice but to convene parliament for the good of the people. Anything the courts say will be ignored.

Among the very first things they will do will be to resurrect the amnesty bill, have a perfunctory debate (since every one is a Pheu Thai MP, no need to discuss) and then pass it into law unanimously. Then Thaksin can stop skyping and give instructions in person when the government and cabinet need help thinking.

PPS. While I sympathize with the protestors and their convictions, and am concerned about the level of violence they will be meeting over the next few days/weeks, I also think that the Democrats made an error by boycotting the election, by not having a clear platform, etc. On the other hand, the protest technique worked for the Red Shirts in 2010, so what do I know.

Any sign of the police? No. Any sign of the army? No.

Lets face it, Thailand is a failed state run by a mob of what...thugs?...children in adult bodies who throw tantrums when they don't get their own way?....psychopathic prancing primadonnas?....mindless fascists?....you name it, im bored of it...

Maybe you should leave wai.gif

Lets face it, Thailand is a failed state run by a mob of what...thugs?...children in adult bodies who throw tantrums when they don't get their own way?....psychopathic prancing primadonnas?....mindless fascists?....you name it, im bored of it...

A lot of us are leaving, but we won't stop hoping that the country gets its act together.

That's good of you.

On both accounts.

Have a nice trip wai.gif

A lot of us are leaving, but we won't stop hoping that the country gets its act together.

That's good of you.

On both accounts.

Have a nice trip wai.gif

Thanks, but it will be a move.

PPS. While I sympathize with the protestors and their convictions, and am concerned about the level of violence they will be meeting over the next few days/weeks, I also think that the Democrats made an error by boycotting the election, by not having a clear platform, etc. On the other hand, the protest technique worked for the Red Shirts in 2010, so what do I know.

The Red Shirts didn't block an election. Big difference.

Yeah: they pay for it. It goes to the HIGHEST BIDDER.

Well known common knowledge. Easy to dupe some uneducated farmers and a few new expats into believing that is not what happens.

Big difference.

The biggest accomplishment of the current administration is making people think this is a democracy and free election. They're 'buying it' but a lot of common folk, including even former supporters aren't buying them anymore.

So shall we say goodbye to you now?

See you!

you really need to check your facts, when they were offered an election they started killing and burning everything down/blowing it up because that is what they really wanted or should I say thaksin wanted. The election was just an excuse.

Leave? I never made thailand my permanent base in the first place...my appraisal of it was that it wasn't good enough for that...maybe you should leave?

• Like 1

This will be a election to reinforce what we already know, that Pheu Thai listens to no-one but Thaksin. Despite the obvious, they persist in forcing their agenda in the most unreal of circumstances. Trumpeting the law as an excuse not to postpone, now they are clear to postpone, and suddenly ignore that defuser. And then have the temerity to call themselves the 'for Thai' party.

I guess you dont like democarcy so it is ok because there will be a dictatorship if suthep wins and i guess that is what you want. Did you ever think that just maybe maybe the people would not have voted for her/???? It is possible. But now with suthep and his thugs no one will ever know.

My prediction.

Yingluck will tell the EC that the election will go ahead on Feb 2. There will be some announcement that there is no need to cancel because disturbances are a figment of the medias imagination.

The election results will be a Pheu Thai majority (what else would be expected in a single party election).

They will then announce that their interpretation of the constitution lets them appoint MP's, or fill the seats with party list MP's assigned to the constituency, or maybe that the 95% rule doesn't apply for some reason. There will be tears as they tell everyone they have no choice but to convene parliament for the good of the people. Anything the courts say will be ignored.

Among the very first things they will do will be to resurrect the amnesty bill, have a perfunctory debate (since every one is a Pheu Thai MP, no need to discuss) and then pass it into law unanimously. Then Thaksin can stop skyping and give instructions in person when the government and cabinet need help thinking.

Yea know I have to agree with your PPS. You are totally correct. The Dems just might have bee able to pull it off if they had used their brains.

" Most polling stations in the South and 90 per cent of venues in Bangkok were completely shut down, he said. "

Thaksin's cousin : But most polling went smoothly. "The government insists that the election (on February 2) will go on as planned. Only 10 per cent were disrupted "

Should it never be said that Newtonian physics fazed Surapong ! But for those who still live on a planet where gravity is no longer an issue of controversy - Surapong faces an impossible task. As the Yingluck administration sues the EC, as the police look the other way while people are being gunned down in broad daylight, as the EC says - as of yesterday - that there will not be a parliamentary quorum as a result of this election - all forms of reason have left Pheu Thai, as they scramble to stage the worst election in Thai history, under an illegally imposed caretaker emergency decree and zero police presence.

Edited by Scamper

Yeah: they pay for it. It goes to the HIGHEST BIDDER.

Well known common knowledge. Easy to dupe some uneducated farmers and a few new expats into believing that is not what happens.

Big difference.

The biggest accomplishment of the current administration is making people think this is a democracy and free election. They're 'buying it' but a lot of common folk, including even former supporters aren't buying them anymore.

If you don't think ALL other parties including the dems have not bought votes then you need to look around. Right now Party # 6 is offering 3,000 baht to very elder to vote for them. So lets get the facts straight. Last election the dems along with many others paid people up in the North and the NE and the people being so stubid took it. Wouldn't you take it if some one offered you money for nothing????????

• Like 1

" Most polling stations in the South and 90 per cent of venues in Bangkok were completely shut down, he said. "

Thaksin's cousin : But most polling went smoothly. "The government insists that the election (on February 2) will go on as planned. Only 10 per cent were disrupted "

Should it never be said that Newtonian physics fazed Surapong ! But for those who still live on a planet where gravity is no longer an issue of controversy - Surapong faces an impossible task. As the Yingluck administration sues the EC, as the police look the other way while people are being gunned down in broad daylight, as the EC says - as of yesterday - that there will not be a parliamentary quorum as a result of this election - all forms of reason have left Pheu Thai, as they scramble to stage the worst election in Thai history, under an illegally imposed caretaker emergency decree and zero police presence.

OK be honest and tell us why? Don't lie.

Thailand is a fledgling democracy...the democratic protestors are wanting to destroy the elected government...that is called anarchy...notwithstanding...they appear to have valid grievances surrounding the lack of integrity among Thai leadership...

Yes...there is rampant corruption...that is why the "rule of law" is seldom taken seriously...more often used to advance one's agenda...pad the bank account...

My guess is...Thailand will never have a stable form of democracy...it is not in the DNA of the history and culture of the people...

Turmoil...protest...corruption...graft...greed...is a way of life...personally don't think it is possible to change Thai culture...

After more than 2 years of putting up with the Thai treatment of farangs...opted to move on...happy I did so...

Some of you have dug-in your heels...and nothing is going to shake your resolve to look at Thailand as a wonderful place...

Good Luck!

Leave? I never made thailand my permanent base in the first place...my appraisal of it was that it wasn't good enough for that...maybe you should leave?

Why would I leave ?

I've been here for over 30 years.

I have a wonderful wife, 2 darling daughters, a great family and good business.

Homes, land and all the trimmings.

My life here is grand.

I don't throw in the towel so easily kap wai.gif

• Like 1

My prediction.

Yea know I have to agree with your PPS. You are totally correct. The Dems just might have bee able to pull it off if they had used their brains.

You mean BRAIN, singular, as in the one they all share.

coffee1.gif

In a democracy the majority hold sway and that's the way it should be in any country.

In the last election PTP won 15.7 million votes, 48% of the voters, but only 35% of the registered voters.

But they want to run things for the liege lord, as if they got a clear cut, and not gerrymandered plurality.

There is no question those numbers are not anywhere near as strong now.