Barbasol shaving foam?

KittenKong

For years I have bought Barbasol from Villa at the Avenue. The price was about 120B a can. I've tried some other brands but dont like them as the foam seems thin and the cans dont seem to have as much foam in. More expensive too.

Since the remodelling Villa seem to have stopped selling it. In fact they only seem to have one type of shaving foam now whereas before they had three or four.

Has anyone seen it elsewhere? I dont care what type/colour it is.

1562163d1326250840-barbasol-mens-shaving

I have bought it before at Best Supermarket, Pattaya nua/Dolphin roundabout, sometime ago, agree it is a good product.

One other that comes close/matches it is Boots " Essentials " shaving foam, thick foam, cost between 100-120 baht for a 250 ml can.

Bought about a couple of weeks ago in one of the Boots branches here, sorry forgotten which branch though.

smile.png

One other that comes close/matches it is Boots " Essentials " shaving foam, thick foam, cost between 100-120 baht for a 250 ml can.

I tried a Boots brand foam a few years ago and didnt like it very much. Not sure if it was "Essentials" and of course they may have improved the composition since then.

I have bought it before at Best Supermarket, Pattaya nua/Dolphin roundabout, sometime ago, agree it is a good product.

But Best seems no longer to have it.

Possibly the beauty supply on Pattaya Thai not far from the fresh market has Barbasol.

On the shaving forums, Nivea foam gets high marks. I don't know; I use shaving soap or cream. However, it's significantly more expensive than Barbasol.

Everybody buys Gillette foam, why not you ?

I dont buy it because I dont like it. I do like Barbasol so that's what I buy.

If everyone really did buy Gillette then no other brands would exist at all and that doesnt appear to be the case.

I go back to the states every year, so I buy four (4) cans of Barbasol for $1.00 (30THB) each! I hate paying these high prices in Thailand!

The UK price (Amazon) for Barbasol seems to be around GBP3/THB150 (ie a bit higher than the price here), so your USD1 sounds like a real bargain.

I fill my luggage back from the UK with other things on which the savings are even larger! Tea-bags for example.

I dont buy it because I dont like it. I do like Barbasol so that's what I buy.

If everyone really did buy Gillette then no other brands would exist at all and that doesnt appear to be the case.

Gillette already has a near monopoly in Thailand. Better not to help them take over completely. Support alternatives like Barbasol.

• 1 year later...

I went looking for Barbasol recently as I was close to running out. Neither of the Friendships had it in stock and Villa was also out of it. I contacted the importer and they are rectifying the issue. In addition they send me 2 cans FOC as a goodwill gesture for my traipsing around.

Superb customer service, superior product.

• 10 months later...

I found that the Best Supermarket on Klang/2nd Rd Junction stocked it. so that got me through most of 2015 but visiting last week it has been replaced by another brand. I emailed the supplier and he is sending me the Pattaya stocking list.

In the meantime I was up in BKK for my monthly hoof trim yesterday and the Villa on Soi 11 stocks Barbasol so I grabbed 4 cans. For some reason it is hidden away, behind the cashiers and behind a display wall!.... totally out of normal view.

Thai males, females, and those in between, use bar soap for shaving. That's why there is such a limited choice of brands and stock here, even in Bangkok and Pattaya.

I've never seen EDGE Gel in Pattaya or Bangkok, but do find it in Phnom Penh.

As for razors themselves, you can find BIC Triple Edge in Friendship now, but many outlets run out quickly. Same reason, Thai demand isn't there.

Speaking of which, the Fanta flavors which the farangs like are often discontinued, such as the yellow pineapple/lime and the blue one before that.

We must remember, retailers who cater to westerners can quickly find themselves with such a limited customer base due to higher prices, they must close or curb hours and product offerings as Villa has done here in Pattaya.

I use the cheapest shaving foam I can find, usually Big C brand, and have never experienced rash or whatever, but it must be because I also can eat Thai food and don't taste the difference between refined salt bought in a Thailand and the one bought in England

I don't because it's at least twice the price of Barbasol, which lasts several months. Not being cheap but why pay so much more for packaging and advertising if the cheaper product is as good and convenient to buy?

They used to sell a very big 418g tin of Gillette shave foam which i used to buy for round 180 baht. These seem to have disappeared now and the very small Gillette tins currently available are very expensive. The only alternative seems to be the Barbasol 283g tins for 145 baht. Big C South also sells them.

I always buy my Barbasol at Dollar Tree in the states for $1.00 US (36 THB). I returned to Thailand with 5 cans in July last

year. Dollar Tree is a terrific place to shop!

It took me a while but I also learnt my lesson: on my last trip to the UK I brought back two cans of Tesco shaving foam (12.5B per can). I'm still using the first can and will buy a year's supply on all future trips, so I'm afraid that the Barbasol importers will have to do without my money in future.

The money I could save if I bought everything I use and eat for the year in the UK and brought it back on the plane with me. Not possible, sadly.

I always buy my Barbasol at Dollar Tree in the states for $1.00 US (36 THB). I returned to Thailand with 5 cans in July last

year. Dollar Tree is a terrific place to shop!

It took me a while but I also learnt my lesson: on my last trip to the UK I brought back two cans of Tesco shaving foam (12.5B per can). I'm still using the first can and will buy a year's supply on all future trips, so I'm afraid that the Barbasol importers will have to do without my money in future.

The money I could save if I bought everything I use and eat for the year in the UK and brought it back on the plane with me. Not possible, sadly.

In that case it would even be cheaper to stay in the UK, as it would save you a ticket.

Real gentlemen don't use nasty foam dispensers or those cheap throwaway blades. I always bring sufficient supply of Trumper's shaving cream One tub about 800 baht. Lasts about 3 months. Of course you will need a brush. And nothing less than Mach 3 blades.

In that case it would even be cheaper to stay in the UK, as it would save you a ticket.

No, as accommodation and especially income tax would cost me much more there.

Archived