Farang getting fat

Fabulousheart

Ok I am gaining weight and not exercising enough compared to drink and eat. I would like to find a personal trainer. I went to the gyms in area and really do not like them. Any suggestions to help a fat farang gain back some muscle in pattaya? I do swim in pool but as far as long walks go it is like mortal combat between the holes and traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably need to work on your diet mainly. Lot of good info here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/111-im-too-fat-forum/. Strongly suggest you look into low carb.

But exercise is certainly beneficial. You can get quite fit just by using bodyweight--at home. A cardio machine of some sort would be helpful. Info about buying around here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/667934-home-multi-gym-where-to-buy/

• Like 2

There are a lot of less than desirable gyms in town since CaWOW closed. However IMO working-out a few times a week is still the best way to keep in trim and shed a few pounds.

I recommend the Tony Sports World gym on Soi Bukhao (the one near R-Con). Only 90 baht a visit and it has a range of equipment types available, plus its open 24 hrs.

I wouldn't suggest you look into a low carb diet, but stick with the major food groups in appropriate proportions. Lots of healthy fruit and veg available around town.

When we crack on you do NOT need loads of grub. You were what you are in your twenties, from then on you are dying. I now eat once a day and feel great in my seventh decade. Yeh, I take a vit/mineral supplement, but not fat and am OK. smile.png

• Like 1

Diet / low carb or whatever else suits you will have more of an impacts as exercise as its easier to eat less then to burn the same amount. However studies shown that people who exercise keep the weight off better and its of course better for the body.

Low carb could work, but first cutting out sugars and processed food might work too, best off all (and hardest for some) cutting out most alcohol.

• Like 2

My personal experience was that when I exercised I actually gained weight due to being ravenous later and over compensating for dehydration by taking too much liquid afterwards. I have found that less intake of solids and lots ... lot's .... of water each day keeps my weight down to where I was 40 years ago. At a certain age, converting flab into muscle can lead to more flab later in life when real exercise is no longer practical. But everyone's metabolism is different so try some different approaches and see what works for you. Good luck.

With all due respect, the old story of flab converting to muscle and perhaps back to flab is folklore. Loosing fat is primarily a function of math, burn more calories than one takes in and the weight will come off. If you build up muscle through exercise and later stop exercising, while continuing to take in the same amount of calories, your muscles will shrink from lack of use and the pudge will grow.

Here in Thailand I notice that my weight can easily increase a couple of pounds in a day if I eat out, which I believe is primarily due to the large amounts of salt and MSG used in food preparation. However eating home cooked meals reverses that trend almost as quickly.

And as we well know, especially as we get older, this math example is much easier said than done.

P.S. Swimming can be a terrific cardio exercise, but like bicycle riding, it does little or nothing to strengthen the bones. For that you need running or fast walking or the like. And again, as we age, maintaining as much bone mass as possible is so very, very important and should be factored into our exercise program.

Good luck, the results are worth the effort.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

My personal experience was that when I exercised I actually gained weight due to being ravenous later and over compensating for dehydration by taking too much liquid afterwards. I have found that less intake of solids and lots ... lot's .... of water each day keeps my weight down to where I was 40 years ago. At a certain age, converting flab into muscle can lead to more flab later in life when real exercise is no longer practical. But everyone's metabolism is different so try some different approaches and see what works for you. Good luck.

With all due respect, the old story of flab converting to muscle and perhaps back to flab is folklore. Loosing fat is primarily a function of math, burn more calories than one takes in and the weight will come off. If you build up muscle through exercise and later stop exercising, while continuing to take in the same amount of calories, your muscles will shrink from lack of use and the pudge will grow.

Here in Thailand I notice that my weight can easily increase a couple of pounds in a day if I eat out, which I believe is primarily due to the large amounts of salt and MSG used in food preparation. However eating home cooked meals reverses that trend almost as quickly.

And as we well know, especially as we get older, this math example is much easier said than done.

P.S. Swimming can be a terrific cardio exercise, but like bicycle riding, it does little or nothing to strengthen the bones. For that you need running or fast walking or the like. And again, as we age, maintaining as much bone mass as possible is so very, very important and should be factored into our exercise program.

The story is impossible.. biologically speaking. You cant convert it. But what people mean by it remove fat.. then add muscle (almost impossible to do at the same time unless on steroids or a new trainee). Also muscles don't convert to fat but might shrink if not used enough. Then there is less that burns and if one keeps eating the same as that one did when one was active training.. you get fat.

The story is impossible.. biologically speaking. You cant convert it. But what people mean by it remove fat.. then add muscle (almost impossible to do at the same time unless on steroids or a new trainee). Also muscles don't convert to fat but might shrink if not used enough. Then there is less that burns and if one keeps eating the same as that one did when one was active training.. you get fat.

Or moves south.............whistling.gif

• Like 1

How about these suggestions; get up early and go for a nice walk while the weather is cooler, also avoiding the madness of later traffic? Then have a light breakfast, a milkshake for lunch, and a bike ride late afternoon (might also save you the cost of motocyce taxis and baht busses!!), you can then look forward to a nice (low carb / low fat) dinner afterwards.

You'll be saving money by eating, and drinking less, also no need to waste your money on equipment that you'll look at but never use!

On the other hand, you could continue doing exactly what you're doing, and convince yourself you're burning the calories off behind your computer.

Best of luck with your exercise regime Mate.

• Like 2

It's all about the calories.Burn more calories than you take in.Stop putting your hand up to your mouth to much.Before you eat drink 2 full glasses of water.Then wait 10 minutes.I'm not trying to get on your bad side.Many of us have the same problem.Me included.Good Luck to ya.

When you do start your diet/exercise routine, do not expect pounds to disappear straight off. Remember, you will lose fat, but will gain muscle. Muscle is much more dense than fat, and therefore weighing in can be deceptive. Your waist and neck measurements and body density have more to do with success than just dropping off pounds.

Sometimes beginners get discouraged, as their weight remains the same (for a certain period of time) and may possibly go up...before dropping.

Do some body measurements before you start.

And...no...fat does not magically turn into muscle or vice versa. Slice through a ham of a nicely marbled steak and note the density of flesh/muscle compared to fat.

• Like 1

You probably need to work on your diet mainly. Lot of good info here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/111-im-too-fat-forum/. Strongly suggest you look into low carb.

But exercise is certainly beneficial. You can get quite fit just by using bodyweight--at home. A cardio machine of some sort would be helpful. Info about buying around here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/667934-home-multi-gym-where-to-buy/

Yeah I started the Low Carb Diet (Atkins Diet) 2 weeks ago and dropped 10kgs already. its amazing.

This is a book I managed to download, highly recommended: Why We Get Fat: And What to Do about It

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0307474259

I do an hour a day at the gym as well, mostly CV.

• Like 1

Yeah I started the Low Carb Diet (Atkins Diet) 2 weeks ago and dropped 10kgs already. its amazing.

This is a book I managed to download, highly recommended: Why We Get Fat: And What to Do about It

careful...a slow, steady drop is better than a starvation diet. Always the danger in a rebound. Developing lifetime habits are the key....not trying to belittle your efforts, however.

careful...a slow, steady drop is better than a starvation diet. Always the danger in a rebound. Developing lifetime habits are the key....not trying to belittle your efforts, however.

Not to worry. With low carb a lot of the fast initial loss is water weight. Then it settles down to a reasonable slower pace, still faster than other diets, as long as we aren't talking extremes--which would be unsustainable anyway.

Developing lifetime habits are the key--couldn't agree more!

Never mind the muscle FabulousHeart, do you want to end up looking like a monkeyman? If all you want to do is lose weight, forget the personal trainer, watch what you eat, cut down on alcohol, or stop altogether. Do some swimming and walking, you will soon lose some weight, and it will be good for your bank balance.

Diet / low carb or whatever else suits you will have more of an impacts as exercise as its easier to eat less then to burn the same amount. However studies shown that people who exercise keep the weight off better and its of course better for the body.

Low carb could work, but first cutting out sugars and processed food might work too, best off all (and hardest for some) cutting out most alcohol.

When I went back to Scotland during the floods for 3 months, I ate more because I had food I could not get in Thailand, although I went swimming three times a week and done a lot of walking, I came back to Thailand seven Kilos heavier.

At 6ft tall and 78k, also a lifetime non drinker, I have never had a weight problem, but I was back to my normal weight in three months, for me the best thing was cutting right down on sugar, along with using the exercise machines in the local park.

• Like 1

Not to worry. With low carb a lot of the fast initial loss is water weight. Then it settles down to a reasonable slower pace, still faster than other diets, as long as we aren't talking extremes--which would be unsustainable anyway.

Developing lifetime habits are the key--couldn't agree more!

Correct.. the moment you limit carbs you start off loosing water that makes it look real fast. Its not a dangerous weight loss so not too much change your loosing muscle. That is what they are always worrying about that people loose muscle if it goes too fast. To counter this exercising would help.

Straw to gold? Simply put, fat does NOT turn into muscle nor does muscle turn into fat. Different cells. Different systems. Having more muscle requires more energy to maintain therefor muscle burns calories. Muscle magically turning into fat is erroneous thinking from the 50's and long since disproven. Losing or gaining weight is simple. Use more energy( calories ) than you take in you lose weight, use less and you gain weight.

• Like 2

This post is intended for those who don’t do "diets" or “Exercising” and wish to eat whatever they want and have a daily Singha or two as well

Now Just in case there may be others who don’t like going to the gyms around here for one reason or another and if they are anything like me completely bored to death after just five minutes of Cardio vascular exercise in a smelly "macho" oriented gym, may I suggest another way?

Walking and/or cycling around Lake Mabrachan at around 6.0am in the mornings or at 3.0pm in the afternoon when the weather is just perfect!

This is intended for those who need a gentle entry into the world of "Exercising" either to lose weight and get fit or just to rejuvenate a jaded and blasé mindset"

To start the body chemistry off with a new regime there is a need for older bunnies like me to start with a nice and gentle walk across the Dam road.

The distance from one road to the other on the Dam road is just under 3 K.

For those fit and healthy and used to daily exercise to begin with then Ok you can do the entire trip which would be just under 6K similar to the distance a low handicap golfer would walk on a typical game of golf but for those who have gained a pound or two and could be put off by the distance then you could walk half way or less and then return to the starting point and then gradually increase the distance as you begin to build muscles in your legs and became fitter in your heart and lungs.

At the top of Soi Siam country club road and just past the slight left hand bend there is a left turn that goes over the Dam of lake Mabrachan, a motor cycle or cyclist can enter this "closed road" through a smallish gate but a car cannot enter the Dam road at this end of the dam road, in other words there is car access at the other end of the Dam road. However there is sufficient parking near to the gate.

There are some who regularly walk around the Lake which if you keep to the road around the lake is just 10K

Personally I have found that cycling is better for me and I do a mixture of both walking and cycling using the Lake as the start of various routes that I have found over the last two years whilst I have been doing this form of exercise.

I am not a lover of boring exercise for its own sake and have to have some mental stimulation thrown in or I just get bored and stop doing it, there is plenty to look at around the lake and always some like minded person to stop and have a chat with

I am 69 next month and have become quite addicted to my trips around the lake and surrounding lovely countryside.

I do just under 30 K on the bike every other day and occasionally for a change or if the weather is cold which it has been now for quite a while I will walk over the Dam road and back, leaving my motor cycle or truck if it is really cold at the end of the Dam road otherwise I just set off on my cycle from home.

I began my exercise regime around two years ago and have lost no weight at all!

However........ my body shape has altered and the excess fat that was around my belly, bum and most of my double chin has all but gone.

I feel 20 years younger and wish I had started this regime a long time ago because I have realised that it is never too late or too early to change your lifestyle.

On a more private and personal level I can also say that this form of exercise has done more good for my libido and thus self esteem then any form of Viagra!

My endurance or “Staying power” has increased pro rata as the more exercise that I have built up to

Anyone interested in coming for a walk or a cycle can give me a PM

I will meet them either at the lake entrance or at the 7/11 near the crocodile crossroads where the Mini Tesco is opposite the Motor bike sales just across from the 7/11 on Soi Siam country club road. ( Easy to find)

There are many people on a regular basis doing this walk and cycling round Mabrachan and it’s as safe as houses from a security point of view.

• Like 2

There is no escaping the fact, eat less. Not just for a few days, but for rest of your life. Dont expect rapid weight loss.

Your bodyweight is one reflection of your life style.

Dont fool yourself or let others fool you,

You can do it the expensive way with fancy diets and more costly forms of exercise, or the cheaper ( mayby less easy ) way.

Eat less and use the car less. Grab every chance to walk, and use the stairs whenever there is an option.

It's tough, but this worked for me.

• Like 1

Last few posts since my last post seem to be stating the obvious!

The point that I was trying to make in the bare bones (a Pun) in my missive was that there needs to be a deficit in the amount that you consume and the amount the body uses in maintaining itself and the use of that horrible word "Exercise " seems to be missing in many of the the posts!

Its not so much the amount that you eat or drink if you are using or burning the calories off.

In other word eat and drink what you want in any quantity but make sure that you use your body in burning the calories off that create the excess fat that is slowing you down and making you feel old and miserable

Sitting in front of a PC, sometimes using your brain or not will not burn the calories like walking ( which isn't the best way to lose weight in any case however its a good and easy way of introducing a laconic and lazy mindset to a new way of beating degenerative unfitness resulting in depression and low self esteem.

Starting to "walk" is the the first step ( pardon another pun) in a process that can transform not only your body but your entire outlook on life.

The more exercise over the amount that your body needs will cause you to lose weight ! Simples really isn't it?

Diets without exercise are doomed I tell you doomed to failure so get off your bum and onto your bike and join the oldies on the Mabrachan circuit, remember the first step is the hardest

The more exercise over the amount that your body needs will cause you to lose weight ! Simples really isn't it?

Not so simple, in fact wrong as it actually ignores the main issues.

Diets without exercise are doomed I tell you doomed to failure

No. You have much to learn. Best to start by studying this article. You'll need to read it 10 times to overcome your old outdated simple-minded dogma.

The Scientist and the Stairmaster

Why most of us believe that exercise makes us thinner—and why we're wrong.

But that's all I'm gonna say here on the subject as I've already argued and spoonfed it many times in the Health forum--mostly to no avail, but with some success.

Now that I've pointed you in the right direction, if interested you can educate yourself. There's a lot out there. Otherwise, think whatever you like.

• Like 1

im in my 70s and i cycle regularly sometimes as much as 100klms per day dont drink (used to) and dont eat meat and i still find if i have a few days off cycling i put a couple of kilos on, anyway i find you have to work at it to keep healthy and fairly fit.

• Like 1