Upgraded True internet package and its the same or worse than before

davejonesbkk

I had the 700 baht 15mb (I know only in Thailand speeds) for just over 2 yrs (was on 3BB before) it was ok until a couple of months ago and then it went off for a day due to something or other and then when it came back on the speeds were never quite the same, I didnt really complain until the last few weeks when it started disconnecting regularly.

I ended up upgrading to the 20mb package for 1,200 baht a month as someone I knew before in the same building had it and said it was much faster than what he saw on my PC, of course they cam round 2 days later and installed a brand new modem+router and at first it seemed noticeably better, even some pings to UK/US slightly faster..... then that same evening (Sunday) it went to a crawl, rebooting the modem/router seemed to do the trick but now this morning I see that I dont even have full bars for the wifi signal (its 2m away from me <deleted>??) and some sites are very slow, just been pinging some overseas sites, US and UK ones getting normal pings of around 200-250 but just tried pinging Sanook.com and Truecorp.co.th and requests timed out, any suggestions on whats going on here?

I really cant be bothered to call them up again, think I might just change back to 3BB...

I was on the True 20Mb/2Mb DOCSIS/cable plan for over a year (before they had the 15Mb/1.5Mb plan which was originally a 14Mb/1.4Mb plan)...it worked fine...rock solid. When I switched/downgraded to the 15Mb/1.5Mb I saw no degradation in everyday use of the interent, email, etc....but I definitely liked the cost reduction for Bt1299/mo to Bt699/mo. Been on the 15Mb/1.5Mb plan for well over a year now over here in western Bangkok...been working just fine...rock solid. But person's location can make a big difference and/or computer setup can make all the difference.

If a person's local line/cable connection is crappy, it will most likely be crappy for whatever speed plan you signup for with ISP provider XYZ. Not having "full" bars on your computer has absolutely zero to do with how good or bad your local line/cable connection is up to the router/modem....that would purely be a Wifi router transmission problem, computer reception problem, and/or obstructions (i.e., like walls) between your computer and the Wifi router. And computer setup problems, commonly caused by Wifi driver problems, can easily cause frequent disconnects...disconnects where you still have a basic connection to the Wifi router but no IP/internet connection...want to blame it on the ISP, but its really a computer setup problem....been there, experienced that.

I'm on the 15MB TRUE ADSL and I've had a lot of the same issues the last few days. I have 2 laptops and a smartphone and it was effecting all 3 simultaneously so not them. My router is relatively new and that seems to be operating OK so I wonder if there are problems with TRUE.

Can be location specific to an area, soi, etc. Whether a person's internet is delivered by phone/DSL line, cable/DOCSIS line, fiber optics line, etc., if that delivery medium is having problems like a bad connection/line equipment problems anywhere along that line all signals downstream of that fault will have problems. I'm on the True 15MB/1.5Mb plan here in western Bangkok and its been working fine so that would tend to support their central equipment/DNS servers/etc., is working OK...the problem is somewhere downstream...location specific.

However, but, just for discussion if True had 50 servers in their central/head facility in Bangkok serving 50 areas within Thailand and one or more of those servers is acting up then those areas would be impacted. A person just never knows where the core problems lies sometimes.