Jerk Chicken with Peas and Rice...Where to get Jamaican food...

rjcampbe

Scotch bonnet chills and fresh thyme. That's all that is required.

It's a multi million dollar franchise opportunity for Thailand. They'd love it. We'd have KFC and CP falling all over themselves for it.

Unfortunately my scotch bonnet chilli seeds failed to germinate and the ants ate my thyme seedlings dead in 5 days.

How I hunger for jerk. Now I subsist with canned jerk from the UK.

It's sad really.

Hello All, if you want to grow your own, most of the things grow here, the wet season

can cause some problems.

1. plantains, you can get the address for plants close to BKK on growing banana threads

on the farming forum. Have 1 growing, planning on a few more.

2. yucca, several verities are grown in LOS, I have it growing in the yard. One of LOS big

exports.

3. scotch bonnets or habs in a pinch can be found in Suk 33 Villa some times. The can be

grown during part of the year, don't like wet season!!

4. they just had a ag show here in Korat and sold habs seeds and naga plants, maybe try

the upcoming ag show at Kasersart University if they don't have a "protest problem".

Never really tried Jam/Cab food, but did make a jerk sauce with home grown Jamaican Hot

Chocolate Habs, was very tasty.

I can't past Mex food and my favorite dish, still growing and eating. todays harvest.

rice555

post-37242-0-85154700-1390919535_thumb.j

post-37242-0-40857000-1390919566_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Their name is Carribean restaurant but they only sell Thai food. Ha!

There's a new place opened on sukhumvit soi 7/1 Bangkok selling Carribean food. Didn't eat there or look at the menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I found jerk chicken on a seasonal menu today on Rama IX. I even gave them some YouTube love:

Only thing missing was the Matouk's Calypso sauce. Great chicken tho. They also do ribs.

post-179050-13956895394429_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

...i took my Thai GF for an Indian and as she and most Thais like it hot i asked for her's to be a Vindaloo. When she tried it she said it was bland and why it was not spicy. I tied a bit and it blew my mouth out lol.

My wife wanted to try the hottest Indian curry from the local takeaway here in the UK and I ordered the hottest Vindaloo they could make and they said are you sure? I said yes, I'm sure. My wife wasn't impressed as it wasn't hot/spicy enough.

A Caribbean restaurant will not work long-term in LOS, even in Bangkok. If you're desperate, then cook it yourself with the best available ingredients.

...i took my Thai GF for an Indian and as she and most Thais like it hot i asked for her's to be a Vindaloo. When she tried it she said it was bland and why it was not spicy. I tied a bit and it blew my mouth out lol.

My wife wanted to try the hottest Indian curry from the local takeaway here in the UK and I ordered the hottest Vindaloo they could make and they said are you sure? I said yes, I'm sure. My wife wasn't impressed as it wasn't hot/spicy enough.

A Caribbean restaurant will not work long-term in LOS, even in Bangkok. If you're desperate, then cook it yourself with the best available ingredients.

It's a different kind of spice though, disguised with different flavours, so it's like comparing apples and oranges.

• 1 month later...

Check out the Salsa Kitchen in Chiang Mai. They mainly specialize in Mexican, but Jerk Chicken and Pork is on the menu. I'm not sure how authentic it is though. Run by a Canadian and Thai, I believe. http://www.thesalsakitchen.com/

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I tried their jerk a couple of years back - absolutely NOT authentic sadly. I can only imagine the owner has never had the real thing, searched online for a recipe and was unfortunate enough to pick a bad one. A serious letdown after my initial joy of seeing it advertised. I'm assuming it's still the same but you never know.

It's completely possible to make you own Jamaican food here, and I do so often. Certain things, like ackee, you won't find but there are plenty of dishes which are doable. Sometimes you need to improvise - substituting imported hot sauce for fresh peppers, making your own salt fish, etc - but it's certainly possible to do. Pimento (allspice) and thyme are both readily available here. You can find goat meat too. I usually bring over a bag of scotch bonnet peppers from the UK, wiz up a batch of jerk marinade and it keeps in the fridge for ages (or you could freeze it). One thing I've never been able to source though is plain long-grain rice. Obviously a bbq helps for things like jerk, bbq fish, etc.

I made rice n peas just the other day. Rice, kidney beans, coconut milk, kidney bean 'water', thyme, salt n pepper - whack it in the rice cooker....

I'm not sure I'd open a carribean restaurant in Thailand but I'd certainly eat in one if it was decent (a lot). Might be an idea for one of the Mexican restaurants here to introduce a small 'West Indian' section to their menu. wink.png

• 3 months later...