F1 2014

rixalex

Rosberg is cold and calculating - he knew exactly what he was doing when he hit Lewis. The hit was perfectly judged to take off an easily replaceable front wing and to put a hole in the rear tyre early in the lap, ensuring maximum damage. He took advantage of the positioning of the cars in that turn to make it happen. Nico is as ruthless as his dad, but he also has the clarity of mind and the skill to pull this off. He has very few real friends -- I wonder if he has confided in *anyone*.

Mercedes management have been shown time and again to be really ineffectual. The shambles over LH's retirement has saved no miles and caused a lot more ill-feeling.

I don't know j.............

It would be a incredible stroke of luck to purposely intend to flat a tire with your wing

The wing has to perfectly impact the outer 1.5" or so of tire. Anything else & the damages would

be to Rosberg alone

Look at Alonso later do basically the same & only obliterate his wing yet no damage to

( Was it Vettel's?) tire

I think it was a stupid move one fueled by emotion & nerves but still I do not think deliberate

as any driver at the rear is not expecting he can do damage to the front car alone.

I do not think Rosberg or any driver contesting the WC would want to risk losing a front wing or worse

But most of all I actually feel sorry for Daniel Ricciardo

Here he is doing great 2 wins in a row & today's headlines as always are 99.999% about

Hamilton & Rosberg

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

I do not think Nico intended to puncture Lewis's tyre or sacrifice his wing, but it was a foolhardy and reckless move that seems he even has acknowledged to doing so knowing the risk.

This I think is what Lewis is quoting by saying he deliberately did this...

But somewhere along the line either he did say so or Lewis could be charged with bringing the game into disrepute.

I am wondering if these drivers meetings are recorded, I presume the FIA will be asking the same question today, and if so for a copy or transcript.

Lewis took the lead by getting a better start, he left Nico standing at the start with Vettle taking second place, the sad thing was Nico was back in second place thanks to Lewis beating of Vettle's attempt to over take him, forcing him drive off circuit.

The real issue here is poor management by a team now run by a committee, though I respect all of them , Ros was right, you can not run a team by a committee and not wanting to be part of it.

One thing I am certain of Nico's action cost Mercedes another "One Two" on the podium.

The other thing is there are many of the FIA who would love to see Nico, Lewis and Mercedes docked a lot of points to open up the championships.

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 1

The sad thing is that the predominantly British media conveniently forgets that the damage was a puncture which can easily be repaired but that Lewis drove much to fast to get to the pits which

caused the damage to the cars bodywork.

Even one of the commentators said so as Lewis raced to the pits.

It's the Vettel/Webber controversy all over again.

Yermanee wai.gif

• Like 2

Rosberg is cold and calculating - he knew exactly what he was doing when he hit Lewis. The hit was perfectly judged to take off an easily replaceable front wing and to put a hole in the rear tyre early in the lap, ensuring maximum damage. He took advantage of the positioning of the cars in that turn to make it happen. Nico is as ruthless as his dad, but he also has the clarity of mind and the skill to pull this off. He has very few real friends -- I wonder if he has confided in *anyone*.

Mercedes management have been shown time and again to be really ineffectual. The shambles over LH's retirement has saved no miles and caused a lot more ill-feeling.

I don't know j.............

It would be a incredible stroke of luck to purposely intend to flat a tire with your wing

The wing has to perfectly impact the outer 1.5" or so of tire. Anything else & the damages would

be to Rosberg alone

Look at Alonso later do basically the same & only obliterate his wing yet no damage to

( Was it Vettel's?) tire

I think it was a stupid move one fueled by emotion & nerves but still I do not think deliberate

as any driver at the rear is not expecting he can do damage to the front car alone.

I do not think Rosberg or any driver contesting the WC would want to risk losing a front wing or worse

But most of all I actually feel sorry for Daniel Ricciardo

Here he is doing great 2 wins in a row & today's headlines as always are 99.999% about

Hamilton & Rosberg

I agree -- now that the dust has settled -- if you look at the replays NR had his front wheel alongside LH cockpit before pulling back and just clipping LH's rear wheel with his wingtip. I recind my earlier vitriol but I maintain that NR is to blame for the incident. A stupid move executed clumsily which cost himself, his team and his team mate a lot! Not to mention robbing the fans of what was promising to be a great race. Mercedes have apparently been consulting with Ross Brawn, so watch this space. Mercedes need a leader the drivers are actually afraid of,,,,,,,,,

Thank goodness for DR -- a brilliant drive and holding the lead for a decent number of laps with others trying desperately to catch him. A very well-deserved win - and if I had my way I'd give NR's point to him!! w00t.gif

• Like 2

As an addendum -- and following lots of other conversations with fellow-ex-racers -- take a look at the replay from NR's onboard cam -- he gets his nose up beside LH, realises it's not going to work and backs off, but look at his steering inputs. He has his steering wheel turned to the right during the first part and then turns it to the left as he backs off and they enter the left turn, but he deliberately gives it s tweak to the right well before his front wheel is clear of LH's back wheel. "We" coffee1.gif have decided that he's trying to punt LH's backend out and make him slide out of the turn - thereby giving himself a clear run again. Wheel-banging is a common enough tactic -- but it goes badly wrong when the bang is on a wing endplate and not a wheel. We've all done this trick in closed bodywork car racing -- let's see if the professionals amongst the management at Mercedes will spot this....

The FIA have over the last few decades made F1 Safer with no fatalities in 20 years, yet deliberate wheel banging could cause a fatal accident.

I assume Jean Todt and Charlie Whiting's phones have been red hot this morning, now this has gone so public the FIA must investigate and come down hard on wheel bumping.

Nico also posted this on his FB page in German & English

Also while not a twitter type I did see a post showing Mercedes asking on Twitter what folks thought about it & if folks thought

Mercedes should continue to allow drivers to race or to follow Team Orders type racing

Of course the overwhelming answer was allow drivers to race period.

Here is that Nico FaceBook post

In the days since the Belgian Grand Prix in Spa, I have spent a lot of time thinking about what happened during the race and discussing it with the team.
I have already expressed my regret about the incident but, after meeting with Toto, Paddy and Lewis today, I wish to go a step further and describe it as an error of judgement on my part.
The number one rule for us as team-mates is that we must not collide but that is exactly what happened.
For that error of judgement, I apologize to Lewis and the team. I also want to say sorry to the fans who were deprived of our battle for the lead in Belgium.
Lewis and I have been given clear instructions about how we race each other.
As drivers, we have a clear responsibility to the team, the fans of the sport, our partners and Mercedes-Benz to deliver clean racing. We take that responsibility very seriously.
I look forward to concluding the season with hard, fair competition on and off track right up to the final lap of the season in Abu Dhabi.

There was a quite hilarious and truthful analysis of the two drivers and the incident. Unfortunately it was in Finnish.

There points were:

- Lewis is currently the only British top driver on F1. This was one of the reasons why the English media went nuts to protecting their driver.

- Lewis is surrounded by yes-men, which combined with the fact that he is not mentally very strong driver. This makes him to act like a spoiled kid. During this incident he went to cry to media. This happened also when he was in McLaren with the telemetry data.

- The accident was a normal racing incident, which has happened some times during this season.

Then the Mercedes central committee. They are acting like business council, listening what the media says and acting accordingly. It was Ross Brawn who made the Mercedes team and then got ousted by current committee who are simply enjoying the fruits of the hard work which were planted previous years. If Mercedes do not get their management fixed, other teams will gradually get better and start winning again.

There was a quite hilarious and truthful analysis of the two drivers and the incident. Unfortunately it was in Finnish.

There points were:

- Lewis is currently the only British top driver on F1. This was one of the reasons why the English media went nuts to protecting their driver.

- Lewis is surrounded by yes-men, which combined with the fact that he is not mentally very strong driver. This makes him to act like a spoiled kid. During this incident he went to cry to media. This happened also when he was in McLaren with the telemetry data.

- The accident was a normal racing incident, which has happened some times during this season.

Then the Mercedes central committee. They are acting like business council, listening what the media says and acting accordingly. It was Ross Brawn who made the Mercedes team and then got ousted by current committee who are simply enjoying the fruits of the hard work which were planted previous years. If Mercedes do not get their management fixed, other teams will gradually get better and start winning again.

The accident was a normal racing accident but were the roles reversed, Lewis would have been crucified in the media for being stupid and reckless, as he has in the past. Only right that Nico be on the end of the same sort of reaction.

And as far as crying to anyone goes, Nico seemed to be doing a good job of that when Lewis didn't allow him to pass, judging by all the hysterical radio messages to his engineer. We'll find out how mentally strong he is when he starts experiencing things like engine fires and brake failures.

The way I recall Nico's radio messages was more like confusion "What is happening? Lewis was supposed to let me through as you told me?"

I did not note, did Nico went to talk to the media after that incident, complaining how unfair Lewis was?

I think Lewis is a great driver, but at the same time he is acting like a spoiled child, not like a man.

The way I recall Nico's radio messages was more like confusion "What is happening? Lewis was supposed to let me through as you told me?"

I did not note, did Nico went to talk to the media after that incident, complaining how unfair Lewis was?

I think Lewis is a great driver, but at the same time he is acting like a spoiled child, not like a man.

Nico's exact words were

"Why isn't he letting me through?"

Lewis having been told not to hold up Nico as he had another pit to make

then said............

"I'm not slowing down for Nico. If he gets close enough to overtake, he can overtake."
Nico repeats...

And is told

"He's had the message, Nico. He's had the message."
I like Nico & Lewis for their skills & both are top drivers
But that time in Hungary while I could understand the theory
of the request not to hold up Nico as he needed another pit
I never understood why Nico was asking that question when he was never in
close enough proximity to pass.
Did he really expect Lewis to lift off & wait?
Because I cannot imagine he or Leis ever doing such a thing in equal circumstances
In any case I am looking forward to the high speeds of Monza thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Nico's exact words were

then said............

"I'm not slowing down for Nico. If he gets close enough to overtake, he can overtake."
Nico repeats...

And is told

Because I cannot imagine he or Leis ever doing such a thing in equal circumstances

I understood that Nico's comments were replies to previous radio message from the team. Something like "Ok Nico. Lewis is told to let you go. Go ahead and make the move."

Then Nico was expecting Lewis to let him pass easily, to avoid possible crash, which we now saw in Spa. Also saving the car and tyres. Then again, that was a bad call from the Mercedes team.

I admit that I look Lewis though filter after the telemetry case. Similar thing happened with Alonso when he was losing to Lewis.

Currently we have three world champions who are constantly losing to their team mates. Vettel, Räikkönen and Button. I guess they all know that it's best just to keep quiet and try to improve the performance.

Monza should be most suitable for the teams which use the Mercedes engines? Mercedes, Williams, Force India and McLaren.

Nico's exact words were

then said............

Nico repeats...

And is told

He was not going to slow down so Nico could catch him up, but would not hold him up if he tried to over take, fair comment.

It make no sense to tell a driver to ease up just to allow his team mate to over unless it is team orders when only one driver is in contention for the driver championship, at this time both drivers are on for it.

It is unfortunate that both Lewis & Nico are racing for a team that has management that is unable to control the situation, if the team is going to be run by a committee then the need to appoint just one person to manage the drivers and the others should have no say outside the board room on driver issues.

As pointed out it was Ross Brawn who made this team, but it was Ross who chose to leave, seems he could see the writing on the wall...

• Like 1

Nico's exact words were

then said............

Nico repeats...

And is told

He was not going to slow down so Nico could catch him up, but would not hold him up if he tried to over take, fair comment.

It make no sense to tell a driver to ease up just to allow his team mate to over unless it is team orders when only one driver is in contention for the driver championship, at this time both drivers are on for it.

It is unfortunate that both Lewis & Nico are racing for a team that has management that is unable to control the situation, if the team is going to be run by a committee then the need to appoint just one person to manage the drivers and the others should have no say outside the board room on driver issues.

As pointed out it was Ross Brawn who made this team, but it was Ross who chose to leave, seems he could see the writing on the wall...

Ross Brawn made some very clear insinuations before he left Mercedes, including that he'd not stay as part of the "management committee". Mercedes are a management train wreck now and only seriously strong leadership from a single person will fix it. Unfortunately none of the current members of the "management committee" are even remotely eligible to lead a top team. There was also a strong rumour that Mercedes contacted Ross Brawn just after Spa - either for advice or to sound out his feelings on coming back in some form. I've seen no mention of that since, so can only assume that he stuck to his guns -- which is exactly why Mercedes should take him on ;)

• Like 1

Regarding going to the media, I don't really think any of the top drivers needs to nor does particularly seek out the media. The media comes to them. Just a case of how much they have to say. Lewis did indeed have quite a lot to say after Spa, but I'm guessing if roles had been reversed, Nico would have too.

Regarding acting like a spoilt child, yes Lewis has certainly been guilty of that before. I don't think he is alone in that regard though. Most of the top drivers have a rather unpleasant selfish and ruthless streak that sometimes bubbles up to the surface. It's what makes them successful. Over the last few years, for me one of the worst culprits has been Kimi. Remember that leave me alone radio message, and the countless moody interviews with one word answers. He seems quite lucky though in that a lot of the time it gets put down to being some sort of an odd ball maverick, rather than a rude spoilt brat. Other drivers would be savaged in the media for acting like he does.

Personality wise, I have to say Daniel has been such a breath of fresh air. Let's hope he manages to maintain his modest humble and cheerful outlook.

• Like 1

Monza coming up and as someone noted, the Mercedes-powered teams will probably have the upper hand because the Mercedes engine is so much more powerful than both the Ferrari and the Renault engines. But when observing the rev counters I noticed that presently the engines rev at a max of 12,500 rpm. The rules, if I remember correctly, allow 15,000 rpm. So why isn't Ferrari giving more boost to the turbo or more revs?

After all, the easiest way to increase the power of a turbo charged engine is to increase the boost? Is it a thermic problem? Or fuel consumption? (limited by FIA)

Mercedes has a clever design of the MGU-H , separating the exhaust driven turbine from the charger. One is at one end of the engine block, the other at the other end. There seems to be no mecanical link between the two. Inbetween is the electric motor/generator. Both Ferrari and Renault appear to have a classical design with the turbine and the charger in one unit. Ferrari has the intercooler between the cylinder banks. I guess we will see that all will change with the 2015 power units. Mercedes had a clever idea, harvesting more power from the tubine and separating the heat coming from the turbine from the charger (which needs to be cool) and driving the charger not directly from the turbine but always through the electric motor/generator. At the same time the motor/generator can supply much more electric energy to the battery, used for the MGU-K.

Ferrari desperately needs good results but when reading the latest interview with Mattiacci, I wonder if he is the right guy. No straight answers, no facts, just wishy washy. Let's hope Monza will not be a disaster for the Reds.

(Did I mention that I have been a Ferrari fan, for many many years?)

Ferrari desperately needs good results but when reading the latest interview with Mattiacci, I wonder if he is the right guy. No straight answers, no facts, just wishy washy. Let's hope Monza will not be a disaster for the Reds.

(Did I mention that I have been a Ferrari fan, for many many years?)

With the rather abrupt way that Stefano went, I'm wondering whether Mattiacci had been groomed for the job and was ready, or whether he was rushed into the position?

The business with the wearing of the dark shades at night, and the way he dismissed questions when the team totally screwed up Kimi's qualifying, makes me question, like you, if he is the right man for the job.

And what about this latest news of Alonso openly meeting with Red Bull management, as well as fairly publicly being chased by McLaren. If Alonso has run out of patience, where will they look to for a big name replacement? Of course nothing to stop them recruiting two up and coming drivers, but usually Ferrari seem to like to have at least one well established F1 'star'.

Edited by rixalex

Mattiacci was certainly not prepared for the job, that's for sure.

Where could Alonso go? Honda os looking for a top driver but last time at MacLaren was not really a success story for Alonso. Red Bull have no need and neither does Mercedes. Alonso will most likely stay with Ferrari and Ferrari will try to hire Adrian Newey, although right now they need a good engine man.

Mattiacci was certainly not prepared for the job, that's for sure.

Where could Alonso go? Honda os looking for a top driver but last time at MacLaren was not really a success story for Alonso. Red Bull have no need and neither does Mercedes. Alonso will most likely stay with Ferrari and Ferrari will try to hire Adrian Newey, although right now they need a good engine man.

Ferrari don't take kindly to anything other than total team support though. They believe to drive for the team should be an honour. Demonstration of this was the way they reacted quite recently to a joke Alonso made about his car. Didn't go down well at all with the powers that be and Alonso received a public dressing down. How will they react to more public overtures from Alonso of being interested in seats elsewhere? Getting rid of him would of course be cutting off their nose to spite their face but you never know. Perhaps Vettel and Alonso could trade seats. Or perhaps Vettel's current performance has put paid to that idea. Who knows. I do think though the end of this season will see quite a lot of movement.

So practice starts tomorrow at 3pm our time at Monza thumbsup.gif

What do you guys think?

Mercedes dominates or fights in house?... Red Bull continues to impress?

I figure Alonso somewhere on the podium as usual for Monza wink.png

Looking forward to it

Edited by mania

So practice starts tomorrow at 3pm our time at Monza thumbsup.gif

What do you guys think?

Mercedes dominates or fights in house?... Red Bull continues to impress?

I figure Alonso somewhere on the podium as usual for Monza wink.png

Looking forward to it

It's live on BBC2 ... well just a short delay if you watch on TV-Asia wink.png

Edited by JAS21

I will be in Singapore the same time as the F1.

A friend there can supply me with a ticket (free), but I won't be going as my wife and daughter would have to sit it out (no ticket for them).

Never mind, seen it before in Singapore for a few years running. All gets a bit boring after the first 10 laps.