Controversial monk at vanguard of Thai street protests - Focus

Lite Beer

Greed is known as one of the three poisons in the Abhidamma (Buddhism) - and when one considers that the fight against corruption is one of the major issues at stake, it is not difficult to see why monks would speak out on the current state of affairs.

King Asok set an example on how authorities are here to serve the public - and to reduce Buddhism to abstain from the public discourse on social issues and to limit itself to attend to individual needs only, simply does not make sense historically.

In this so called buddhist nation, the people are in NEED of buddhism but not the kind this monk is preaching.

Well I back him in what he is doing but I disagree with this statement

The religious domain has a duty to tell the secular domain what to do -- and what not to do," he told AFP, justifying his role at the vanguard of the protest movement.

It should read

The religious domain has a duty to tell the secular domain what is right and what is wrong.,"

"With God on our side", the battle cry of Western civilization. So sorry to see a version of it intruding in Thailand of all places. And Suthep et al shamelessly gave him his own personal pedestal. Another prop needed over here. Army won't be available for photoshoots with protestors.

The battle cry of all civilisations!! Some pronounce it as "Allah Aqbar"!!

Even with 'Le God' on our side Saints still couldn't win anything. sad.png

They tried to fool astound with Seahawks what did you expect? I know off topic but I believe the poor man needed some understanding.

It is a sad day when you see religion and politics mixing it together, never the twain shall meet , ideology on both sides are extreme in each of the learning, in Thailand you have the majority in the Buddhist faith, a simple gentle way to freedom and in politics the greasing of the palm faith, what's in it for me, corruption at every turn and bastardry is your friend, never the twain shall meet.coffee1.gif

Sadly you are correct. How ever there are those who are working to bring them closer together. I see nothing wrong with that.

The curfew tolls the knell of parting day,
The lowing reds wind slowly o'er the lea,
The protestors homeward plod their weary way,
And leaves Thailand to darkness and to me.
Now fades the glimm'ring landscape on the sight,
And all the air a solemn stillness holds,
Save where the mosquito wheels his droning flight,
And drowsy tinklings lull the distant collections;
Save that from yonder marbled-mantled tow'r
The moping crab does to the moon complain
Of such, as wand'ring near her secret scam,
Molest her ancient solitary reign. cheesy.gif (Gray... no insult mate!)

Religion equates to worshiping invisible friends which men and women in power would like for the sheeple to believe exist. You had better watch out, you better not cry, I'm telling you why...

Spirituality equates to working together with human friends, which men and women in power would not like for the sheeple to believe exist. Stir up suspicion. Stir up hatred. Keep 'em hating each other over things that don;t make your day any worse or any better if you aren't thinking about it.

Politics and religion are one and the same, with the only exception being the suits and robes that adorn the person, respectively.

Break man's law, go to prison. Break the law of a god which man invented, go to perdition. Same story. Same results, Different words. Keep 'em under your thumb. Control them through fear and crisis. Make false flag enemies to keep 'em running back to you for more pap and promises. Get 'em to give up their right to think and to have knowledge.

Religion: performance-based acceptance.

Spirituality: faith-based acceptance.

The monk is merely crossing the boundaries which men and women in power have worked so long and hard to establish, and which might just be cause for people to realize what I suggest; ... or not. Or simply go on being a sheeple, or someone who runs for cover to live another day.

Not exactly. That would depend on how you view and measure religion, as a philosophy, a guide or as a control mechanism and object worship.

Every single mainstream religion has the same basic principle, love your family, tolerate your neighbour, do good, uphold the law both personally and responsibly, do not be jealous of others and what they have, strive hard and work to gain your own, true wealth is not measured by what you have but how you act towards others and are treated back and recieved, if someone needs help then help if you can, do not get tempted into doing evil. Most of all give tolerance and love towards your fellow man/woman even be it an enemy rather than hate.

Now these are good principles for life, it promotes honesty,love, unity and tolerance this is not a bad way to live at all. This could even be said to be an ideal way to live.

Buddhism can be seen as a religion or a philosophy of life. taken as a philosophy and mostly principles it is reasonable and sensible, the same can be said for the other religions although the others tend to have a caveat written in all credit must be given to god and ergo also responsibility, this is not true for Buddhism which says you are responsible for yourself and actions.... which is why its considered a philosophy by some and not a religion.

Some people need religion it is very true, a lot need to be part of the herd regardless. This isnt bad in itself it is just dangerous as it passes all responsibility.

Conclusion there is nothing wrong with religion perse, it is how people use and interpret it, that is the problem.

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 2

"With God on our side", the battle cry of Western civilization. So sorry to see a version of it intruding in Thailand of all places. And Suthep et al shamelessly gave him his own personal pedestal. Another prop needed over here. Army won't be available for photoshoots with protestors.

The battle cry of all civilisations!! Some pronounce it as "Allah Aqbar"!!

They tried to fool astound with Seahawks what did you expect? I know off topic but I believe the poor man needed some understanding.

Wrong Saints old chap! I was referring to Southampton in England where we play proper football not that strange game you play in the States where the 'ball' looks like an old mango, everyone wears a helmet and tights and only one guy ever gets to kick it. smile.png

Edited by bigbamboo

The monk says if the secular domain collapses the spiritual domain will also collapse.

So what hes saying is basically ...Thaksin will be reponsible for the end of Buddhism?

I thought monks could not smoke. What is this guy smoking that makes him so high and obviously stoned?

Huh?! Most monks I've seen in Thailand smoke - one way to stop hunger pangs after noon, I figure.

One thought about Buddhism and temporal power: the Dalai Lamas have held administrative control of Tibet since about the 17th century... till the Chinese arrived.

It may not be part of the Theravadan tradition, but it is not unheard of within Buddhism in general.

Oh, and your quote that "if the secular domain collapses the spiritual domain will also collapse." - shouldn't he be teaching the opposite? That if the spiritual domain collapses, then so shall the secular. The spiritual domain can be practised far far away from the madding crowd.

Edited by focus27
  • Like 1

Wrong Saints old chap! I was referring to Southampton in England where we play proper football not that strange game you play in the States where the 'ball' looks like an old mango, everyone wears a helmet and tights and only one guy ever gets to kick it. smile.png

Loser!

-mel. biggrin.png