Bangkok mall employee allegedly beaten, robbed by protesters

webfact

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are the police in all of this? Is it not their job to maintain peace and order and actually enforce the law evenhandedly?

If the police are not willing to do their job they should all be relieved of their job and the military should step in to do the job the police ought to be doing.

Thailand IS a failed state.

The (so-called) guards asked to see inside my bag on Sunday night opposite Isetan in Central walking towards BTS - at the temporary roadblock sort of thing they have set up there. I wanted to say no as they have no right to do that but then decided against it. It was around 10 or so in the night and saying no could have been trouble (or at least I thought so at the time). The whole atmosphere didn't look pleasant at all.

Whatever your politics, no one gives them the right to demand an id or check someone's bag. I would cooperate with the authorities (police, military personnel - howsoever corrupt people think of say they are) as they have the right under the law. But these guards don't.

In principle correct, but ... ...

It would seem that the police cannot (or will not?) offer the level of security necessary to avoid 'unknowns' shooting at anti-government protesters. So you get guards setup by the protesting groups.

BTW Monday morning around 10AM arriving at BTS Victory Monument , passing the paygate BTS Guards wanting to have a look in my backpack. Should I have refused, or demanded to have a proper policeman to do that type of searching?

PS Both BTS and MTR started with those 'look in the bags' activities after the end-of-the-year bomb attacks in Bangkok, 2009 I thikn it was. Till now no one and certainly not the police seems to have told them that that type of activity should be restricted to authorities only.

Where are the police in all of this? Is it not their job to maintain peace and order and actually enforce the law evenhandedly?

If the police are not willing to do their job they should all be relieved of their job and the military should step in to do the job the police ought to be doing.

Thailand IS a failed state.

If there were police, there wouldn't be road blocks and robberies everwhere. The police is dyfunctional and the only remaining authorities are the thugs which receive 1000 Baht per day from Suthep.

As there has been so much mis-information, from both sides actually it would help if someone could clarify

- "Mr. Siam later posted on his Facebook profile that he has previously joined anti-government rallies with his friends, but he has now "lost faith" in the movements after the incident at Pathumwan Intersection. "

==> has this been checked?

Why would that need to be checked?

As there has been so much mis-information, from both sides actually it would help if someone could clarify

- A Bangkok Municipal official later reportedly came to help Mr. Siam

==> has this good Samaritan been identified?

- "Mr. Siam later posted on his Facebook profile that he has previously joined anti-government rallies with his friends, but he has now "lost faith" in the movements after the incident at Pathumwan Intersection. "

==> has this been checked?

Why would that need to be checked?

"As there has been so much mis-information, from both sides actually, it would help if someone could clarify"

PS I restored all contents of my post

Edited by rubl

The (so-called) guards asked to see inside my bag on Sunday night opposite Isetan in Central walking towards BTS - at the temporary roadblock sort of thing they have set up there. I wanted to say no as they have no right to do that but then decided against it. It was around 10 or so in the night and saying no could have been trouble (or at least I thought so at the time). The whole atmosphere didn't look pleasant at all.

Whatever your politics, no one gives them the right to demand an id or check someone's bag. I would cooperate with the authorities (police, military personnel - howsoever corrupt people think of say they are) as they have the right under the law. But these guards don't.

It would seem that the police cannot (or will not?) offer the level of security necessary to avoid 'unknowns' shooting at anti-government protesters. So you get guards setup by the protesting groups.

BTW Monday morning around 10AM arriving at BTS Victory Monument , passing the paygate BTS Guards wanting to have a look in my backpack. Should I have refused, or demanded to have a proper policeman to do that type of searching?

PS Both BTS and MTR started with those 'look in the bags' activities after the end-of-the-year bomb attacks in Bangkok, 2009 I thikn it was. Till now no one and certainly not the police seems to have told them that that type of activity should be restricted to authorities only.

This happened in the middle of the road, not inside a building or some property. I don't mind the guards at the malls, BTS and MRT "looking" inside my bag. These are private properties. The road is not. Moreover, the guards hired by the malls, BTS and MRT are not likely to assault you, and if they misbehave in any way you can complain about them to the relevant people.

What would have been my recourse if the guards at the site assaulted me? I would have been just another statistic, nothing more.

"What would have been my recourse if the guards at the site assaulted me?"

The only thing we need to fear is fear itself, it befuzzles the brain. With this logic I guess you tend to stay indoors a lot?

• Like 1

i dont see any evidence to support his story probably just trying to get money out of the protestors. Even if it IS true its not as bad as shootings, stabbings, grenades that the red apologists forgive in this forum every day

Actually, I think you'll find that most ThaiVisa Forum members condemn violence and criminal activities, whomever the perpetrator may be.

However, seeing that you joined only a fortnight ago, yours is probably an innocent (but somewhat hasty) misperception.

Yes, part of the low-life rent-a-mob goon brigade. Millions of people feel the same as this chap: they have had enough

Not as many as have had enough of red shirt clap trap posters!!! making "generalised add nothing to thread comments"!!!

You mean like your well formed informative thought provoking contribution you are making in relation to a thread about a guy being robbed and beaten?

More violence from the pacifists.... so civilian guards are now stop and searching police and metering out street beatings ?

Time to admit this is beyond the pale now and do something.

Both sides are beyond the Pale. Both have their share of thugs and cowards prepared to ambush and attack the defenceless in packs.

Something should be done yes, but on the basis of guilt and actions, not political stance.

A common sense post at last, not your first either bluespunk and Normally our views differ some what. Pity more posters and I include myself can't bring less emotional responses to the forum.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

10 people dead, be patient please, the Police leaders are all red thugs...wai2.gif

This happened in the middle of the road, not inside a building or some property. I don't mind the guards at the malls, BTS and MRT "looking" inside my bag. These are private properties. The road is not. Moreover, the guards hired by the malls, BTS and MRT are not likely to assault you, and if they misbehave in any way you can complain about them to the relevant people.

What would have been my recourse if the guards at the site assaulted me? I would have been just another statistic, nothing more.

"What would have been my recourse if the guards at the site assaulted me?"

The only thing we need to fear is fear itself, it befuzzles the brain. With this logic I guess you tend to stay indoors a lot?

Ha, funny! I actually visit at least one protest site every weekend. But the only point I am trying to make is that these guards have no right to stop me, or anyone else, in the middle of the road and ask for an id or conduct a search.

I agree that the people of any country have a right to peaceful protests, but preventing people from casting their votes is certainly not the way. It is a violation of their basic rights. And being subjected to an unlawful search violates my rights.

Wonder why he carries so much money to work?

50,000 baht in total value is quite a sum.

Typical yellow shirt; cash, iPhone, etc.

Red shirt would only be carrying around 50 bahts and a few loose coins for public telephones.

More violence from the pacifists.... so civilian guards are now stop and searching police and metering out street beatings ?

This how the nazi thugs behaved in Germany in the 1930's and see what they went on to do. Fascists the world over are alike.

• Like 1

If it is true, then the guy responsible should be arrested. Regardless of which camp he comes from.

It's not "the guy" - this sort of thing is happening all over. Try and walk through Asoke now in the daytime and see what happens ....

Asoke, Pathumwan and Victory monument without a scratch...

More violence from the pacifists.... so civilian guards are now stop and searching police and metering out street beatings

Both sides are beyond the Pale. Both have their share of thugs and cowards prepared to ambush and attack the defenceless in packs.

Something should be done yes, but on the basis of guilt and actions, not political stance.

Totally agree. I'd hate to see things slide even further. Surely there must be some cool heads in both camps who see where it's all going and stop all this madness for the good of Thailand......not the politicians.

You and me both.