Violence in Bangkok...worsening?

philippa

Hello

I spent the last 5 weeks of 2013 gypsying my way around Thailand solo. As a (then) 23 year old, female (Australian) with a modest amount of cash, a backpack and no forward planning I thought I was pretty brave (reckless?). Needless to say, it was the best thing I've ever done. I've since made plans to come back for a few months and finish my law degree online from Thailand...

Well that's all wonderful, and I'm terribly excited - but these emails with headlines such as 'Man.... wearing wristband, shot dead' are starting to shake me.

Can someone give me an indication of whether the situation in Bangkok has worsened since November / December? I've no intention of living there (opted for Hua Hin), but is the city to be avoided at all costs? I was hoping to do a few things in town and then catch the mini-bus from the Victory Monument... I see there is now a bus service running directly from the airport to Hua Hin... a safer option?!

Steer clear of Bangkok completely? Or is this an over-reaction? What do you guys think?

In 90% of Bangkok you wouldn't even know that there are protests were it not for the internet, television etc.

Yes, that sounds more less right. Except for the traffic that seems to have worsened noticeably across the entire city.

• Like 1

In 90% of Bangkok you wouldn't even know that there are protests were it not for the internet, television etc.

Yes, that sounds more less right. Except for the traffic that seems to have worsened noticeably across the entire city.

Where I live in the Sukhumvit end of On-Nut there doesn't seem to be much difference in the traffic either, but then again I don't drive or catch taxis that often.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1

Where I live in the Sukhumvit end of On-Nut there doesn't seem to be much difference in the traffic either, but then again I don't drive or catch taxis that often.

I drive into city centre from the North almost everyday and it's noticeable; I think the protest sites on Chaengwatana and Victory Monument aggravate existing infrastructure problems from what I see.

• Like 2

You have money & an Australian passport, yes i would agree you are a very reckless person giggle.gif

I had 200 baht left when I got on my flight home, so I wasn't going to be bailing myself out of any trouble should some have arisen. I did find Thailand seemingly much safer and friendlier than Sydney though...

the protest have affected me very little.

and if you MUST see a protest site, check out Asoke, seems to be the most tame of the bunch.

Oh haha no I don't want to see a protest - I got caught up in enough terrible traffic last time and made a few poor choices as to where I stayed in Bangkok in Nov/Dec.

I only meant, should I go straight from the airport to Hua Hin or am I ok to go into Bangkok to do a few things i.e. see a dentist, do some shopping.

Thanks for all your responses...sorry to have asked such a silly question.

• Like 1

You have money & an Australian passport, yes i would agree you are a very reckless person giggle.gif

I had 200 baht left when I got on my flight home, so I wasn't going to be bailing myself out of any trouble should some have arisen. I did find Thailand seemingly much safer and friendlier than Sydney though...

and if you MUST see a protest site, check out Asoke, seems to be the most tame of the bunch.

Oh haha no I don't want to see a protest - I got caught up in enough terrible traffic last time and made a few poor choices as to where I stayed in Bangkok in Nov/Dec.

I only meant, should I go straight from the airport to Hua Hin or am I ok to go into Bangkok to do a few things i.e. see a dentist, do some shopping.

Silly questions are ok, we know you are another "reckless" Aussie finding her place in a troublesome world

Online degrees don't mean anything just a short cut & Australia is First Nation, the only reason I mentioned it. Online is not an option for Nation-wise degrees of any importance within the initial education. Secondaries, thereafter...fine.

No offense intended, but if anyone here can make heads or tails of this please post a translation.

• Like 1

Online degrees don't mean anything just a short cut & Australia is First Nation, the only reason I mentioned it. Online is not an option for Nation-wise degrees of any importance within the initial education. Secondaries, thereafter...fine.

Nation-wise degrees?

initial education vs secondaries?

maybe primary school?

Lots of kids do primary education online now and get better results than sitting in a classroom.

In answer to the OP's question, yes, the levels of violence -- while scattered and sporadic -- have increased over the past months.

The OP didn't say when she might transit Bangkok. Right now, I'd say there's no problem with passing through or making a short stay enroute to elsewhere. But probably best to do it right now, because the potential Feb. 2 election is upcoming, and that could along with other factors cause things to deteriorate further.

Thus far, Suvarnabhumi Airport has been fine and uninvolved. But Victory Monument has been an ongoing protest site as well as a recent bombing site. You really want to avoid hanging around the various protest sites.

So if I had my choice, I'd take the bus from Suvarnabhumi to Hua Hin when I was ready to depart Bangkok. Probably safer than taking one of the mini-vans anyways, regardless of the protests.

• Like 1

wym, on 29 Jan 2014 - 00:31, said:
oz893, on 29 Jan 2014 - 00:24, said:

No offense intended, but if anyone here can make heads or tails of this please post a translation.

I think he has been using his Uni degree in English grammar to concoct that one.......................wink.png

Avoid protest sites and stay away from protest marches/gatherings, however much the temptation/curiosity, and you'll be fine. Same advice anywhere in the world. This is from someone who ended up wondering around the aftermath of one of the UK riots in 2011 when, it turns out, things hadn't quite calmed down despite appearances to the contrary (I'll happily admit to being irredeemably stupid for doing that).

I would say that Thailand is safer than the UK when the riots happened - I was in London returning on a bus to my home in South London - when In got off the bus there was a load of yoof breaking into the Tesco Express being cheered on by a drinking , spliff smoking mob from the local council estate - got some seriously menacing looks and comments and hot footed home soonest. Thais just don't do that to curious bystanders as a whole if you are well behaved and respectful and having walked through Asoke and MBK have felt no animosity whatsoever. As others have said though avoid - who knows when the next drive by or bomb occurs and that can be pretty indiscrinate.

Phillipa, as a bit of general advice, travel with someone,- its safer. You sound sensible, so let your common sense tell you when you should not go somewhere. Go to Hua Hin, postpone the dentist. The protest situation will get worse before it gets better, especially around 2 Feb. Online degrees are fine. I'm an Aussie and taught at one of the Unis mentioned. Practise the art of being a traveller and not a tourist. Travellers blend in, meet people, get to know the place and rarely have hassles. Tourists look just that and mostly look out of place. Good luck and keep us posted.

Can happily report that down here in Pattaya, business is booming, and there have been no signs of strife. Can also add that you can find some excellent dentists at Bangkok Pattaya, and you can do quite a bit of serious shopping down here as well.

As for Bangkok - well, as other posters have noted, the conflicts are localized, and easily avoided if one takes the time to research the hot spots. Tourism is way down, so you can get good deals at hotels . However, in accordance with the basic travel rule of avoiding ANY country during elections, i would hold off on going to Bangkok until after February 2, when the elections will officially be over! ( hopefully!!! :)

You'll be fine as long as you avoid demonstrations and don't criticise the government.

On the other hand, outside Bangkok, you'll be fine as long as you don't go out after dark without constant farang companions.

Thailand has a poor record of violence (rapes, muggings) against lone foreigners, especially women.

• Like 1

Your Australian, you will be fine and clearly you have traveled. Most of the posts are spot on. Except for the traffic you wouldn't know there is conflict. There is an effect, I have to go home from bar areas by BTS/MRT as the traffic is bad. Last night 150baht and maybe an hour for short trip. There are waysaround this. Feel sorry for traders and tourists alike for ssomething like Chinese new year this week. But NO no need to avoid bkk.