Authorities investigate luggage fire at Suvarnabhumi

webfact

Authorities investigate luggage fire at Suvarnabhumi
The Nation

30225463-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- AN INVESTIGATION is being conducted to determine how a piece of luggage caught fire on a conveyer belt at Suvarnabhumi Airport yesterday.

The fire occurred at 6.35am when a Thai passenger was checking in for Bangkok Airways' Flight PG931 to Phnom Penh, an airline statement said. The incident was resolved and is being handled by Airports of Thailand (AOT).

Raweewan Nettarakavessana, director of Suvarnabhumi Airport, said an initial investigation showed that the luggage carried a leavening agent for fertiliser, which is believed to have undergone a chemical reaction, resulting in flames.

She said the fire had slightly damaged the conveyor belt, weighing scales and electronics at the check-in counter, though everything returned to normal within an hour. AOT contacted relevant agencies to investigate the issue later, she added.

Images and video clips of the fire have been circulating in the social media.

Caretaker Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt inspected the scene yesterday and instructed officials to conduct an investigation. He said he did not believe the incident had anything to do with the current political conflict or a terrorist attack, but was due merely to a passenger's ignorance. He said the phosphorus products in the luggage might catch fire because of heat. He added that even if the luggage had not burst into flames on the conveyor belt, airport security had many steps that would have prevented the bag from making it to the flight.

The passenger, Pongkarn Kositthamanun, had initially said the products were meant for a business demonstration in Phnom Penh, but later claimed the piece of luggage belonged to a friend who owned a fertiliser factory in Lop Buri and had asked him to deliver it to a friend in Cambodia.

He said he was only told that the luggage contained some organic fertiliser.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-29

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a despicable breach of security at the Thai airport. At the very least, this fertilizer luggage should have been sniffed out by a security dog. International transportation and air safety folks should take notice of the Thai airport's lack of security. If they haven't already noticed breaches in Thai security, now is the time to be forewarned.

Typical dodging of responsibility as this was all down to a passengers ignorance and nothing said about the screening process, or lack of, and general security.

• Like 1

Pongkarn Kositthamanun, had initially said the products were meant for a business demonstration in Phnom Penh, but later claimed the piece of luggage belonged to a friend who owned a fertiliser factory in Lop Buri and had asked him to deliver it to a friend in Cambodia.

One who is in the business of making business demonstration and not know about the explosive nature of making fertiliser? Bet some car drivers are still thinking cars run on water...laugh.png

This is a despicable breach of security at the Thai airport. At the very least, this fertilizer luggage should have been sniffed out by a security dog. International transportation and air safety folks should take notice of the Thai airport's lack of security. If they haven't already noticed breaches in Thai security, now is the time to be forewarned.

Extra security would be great, but learning to read, and comprehending what has been read, is bliss.

Did you not read the news article? The traveler was checking in his luggage... it had not just come off an airplane. I don't know of any major airport where there are dogs stationed at the entry to the airport sniffing suitcases.

In fact, if I wanted to cause chaos at an airport, I would forgo trying to do something cynical on an airplane... I would take care of business in the arrivals terminal. Thousands lost people, wandering aimlessly in circles, looking for where to check-in. Talk about a soft target.

Melbourne Airport.

• Like 1

Melbourne Airport.

Interesting, in my fairly extensive travels around Europe, Asia and the Indian sub-continent I've never seen dogs operating in the public areas of airports.

Are the dogs at Melbourne sniffing for explosives, cash, drugs or whatever? I'm not sure there's such a thing as a 'universal' sniffer dog (could be wrong there of course).

Bags go through an x-ray machine before you check in right? I guess the machine wouldn't pick up the fertilizer, but isn't there a guy looking at a screen? Wouldn't a bag full of fertilizer look strange and warrant having a look? Its not the shape of usual stuff you take on a trip. Maybe the security is in place but it just wasn't effectively executed.

Typical dodging of responsibility as this was all down to a passengers ignorance and nothing said about the screening process, or lack of, and general security.

The bag was already inside the airport...so had passed security...so its obvious innit.

If it had not exploded on the belt, it may have exploded on the plane....maybe that was the plan by this friend that gave him the bag with nothing dangerous in it.

Waiting for a disaster from an outbound Thai flight as it looks like they let anything through.....oh except for a bottle of water...cannot take that, security alert....job done, staff can rest assured they have diverted disaster again.

• Like 1

Melbourne Airport.

Interesting, in my fairly extensive travels around Europe, Asia and the Indian sub-continent I've never seen dogs operating in the public areas of airports.

Are the dogs at Melbourne sniffing for explosives, cash, drugs or whatever? I'm not sure there's such a thing as a 'universal' sniffer dog (could be wrong there of course).

In your "extensive" travels you can't have passed Suvarnabumi many times but

I suppose, just because you haven't seen any, doesn't mean there aren't any.

Every time I've been there, I did see dog handlers (including dog) within the

public areas of the Airport. Inside and outside the building.

Melbourne Airport.

I don't know what there were looking for, I just complied and bent over. Yes you are right each dog has a specific task.

Maybe you've never been to an airport then. The entries to the check in counters are gated off and there are huge x-ray machines that you have to put your bags on before you get in line to check in.

• Like 1

I've never had my luggage checked or x-rayed when I walk into an airport, to check in. The process starts just after they are weighed, and become the responsibility of the airport. They go up the small belt first, which is where this happened. Pls read with your eyes, and comprehend, and not make unruly comments about what you think, without understanding what is clearly presented. wai.gif

Never used Swampy ?...or perhaps only had carry on ?

I've never had my luggage checked or x-rayed when I walk into an airport, to check in. The process starts just after they are weighed, and become the responsibility of the airport. They go up the small belt first, which is where this happened. Pls read with your eyes, and comprehend, and not make unruly comments about what you think, without understanding what is clearly presented. wai.gif

Never used Swampy ?...or perhaps only had carry on ?

Not for 6 years. If it's all changed then my bad. When I last flew it was a simple walk to the check-in desk. sad.png

Actually many airports x-ray screen luggage entering airport concourses before you even reach the check-in; Manilla for one, Don Muang used to as did Swampy at Bangkok Airways check-in....I think Surat Thani does as well......

This guy from Lop Buri said " the luggage beloned to a FRIEND ? and was intended to go to a place in Cambodia.

Who in this day and age checks in luggage for someone else and not sure of the actual contents.

This fishy tale sounds like someone who is taking drugs for a FRIEND. same same. I don't believe the BS from this Lop Buri guy. Something wrong here for sure.

Remember the normal procedure---"is this your bag sir, did you pack it yourself" his answer NO and NO ??? <deleted>. unless in my elderly state I missed some news.

• Like 2

Actually many airports x-ray screen luggage entering airport concourses before you even reach the check-in; Manilla for one, Don Muang used to as did Swampy at Bangkok Airways check-in....I think Surat Thani does as well......

Our Udon Thani airport have x-ray before check in.

Melbourne Airport.

I recall seeing dogs aplenty at the departure door areas back in 2010. I have seen border security agents in both Canada and the USA doing random walk abouts in the departure entry areas of LAX, SFO, MIA YYZ, and YVR. Not a regular sight, but not so unusual as to be out of the ordinary.

However, I don't want to detract from your point that stationing k9 units at the departures is neither practical nor an efficient use of resources.

I believe, Siemens L&A provided the turnkey baggage management system for BKK. Included was the baggage security screening machinery.

And lest anyone makes a snide remark about incompetent Thais, it's automated. The baggage goes through CTX scanners and if the screening software detects something unusual, a warning is given and the image displayed. The security agent is supposed to pull the bag and check.

Siemens is the leading supplier of the screening systems and it's equipment has a pretty good track record, I suppose someone will now chime in and say, well its success is dependant upon a security agent pulling the bag when he has to. All I can say to that is since the introduction of the system in 2006 at BKK and the hundreds of millions of bags screened, nothing has gone kaboom on a plane yet, nor have any fires due to pax luggage been reported. The major airlines can't get around not reporting incidents, and they would be difficult to cover up.

The responsibility lay with the passenger not to transport dangerous materials. The man should be severely penalized for his selfish and dangerous act.

• Like 1

The three most asked questions at airports, around 3 billion times in a year:

"Has anyone else packed your bags for you?"
"Has anyone asked you to carry an item on this flight?"
"Have any of the items you are traveling with been out of your immediate control since the time you packed them?"

And this person obviously lied, lied and lied. So, sue him for damages.

• Like 1

Not at Suvranabhumi, but at Don Muang and Chiang Mai they x-ray when you enter the building.

• Like 2

Not at Suvranabhumi, but at Don Muang and Chiang Mai they x-ray when you enter the building.

The OP refers to Suva, yes. As I said. I've never had my bags checked at Suva before being at the check-in desk. It could vary between different airways carriers, I guess?

"Have any of the items you are traveling with been out of your immediate control since the time you packed them?"

You must have read my post on page 1, ?? if you did why not like ? or it's a coincidence.thumbsup.gif

You must have read my post on page 1, ?? if you did why not like ? or it's a coincidence.thumbsup.gif

Just coincident

Takes me always ages to research, write and spell check what I have to say giggle.gif

(Just so the grammar brigade has nothing to moan about) giggle.gif

So most likely, I did write this before you posted yours, maybe not smile.png

Sorry wai.gif

• Like 1