Pheu Thai, Democrats explain their positions to the UN

webfact

Pheu Thai, Democrats explain their positions to the UN

BANGKOK: -- Politicians from the Pheu Thai and Democrat parties have separately written to the UN explaining their sides in the current political conflict.

Noppadon Pattama, former foreign minister under Pheu Thailed government, wrote to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon while Kiat Sittheeamorn, chairman of the Democrats' foreign affairs panel addressed his letter to the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)’s Southeast Asian regional office.

Noppadon said in his letter that the antigovernment protests led by former Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban were not "nonviolent civil disobedience" as Suthep has repeatedly claimed.

Suthep and his supporters tried to disrupt the advance vote on January 26 through "uncivil" actions including chaining the doors of several polling stations, forbidding voters to enter or leave the polling stations and threatening to use force and inflict bodily harm.

"Such actions are criminal offences and violate both the Constitution and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The PDRC actions destroy the democratic process," Noppadon said in the letter.

He appealed to Ban to support a free and fair election in Thailand so that process of democratisation could continue.

In his letter to Matilda Bogner, regional representative, Kiat said that it was necessary to give the domestic and the international community a factual account of the current people's uprising in Thailand.

He said the violence and the misconduct of Yingluck Shinawatra government over the past two years had triggered the popular protests.

The targets of the recent series of attacks were members of the antigovernment People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), the Student and People Network of Thailand’s Reform, innocent protesters and volunteer guards.

The Democrat Party and its key members were also subjects to attacks. The law enforcement authorities had failed to arrest the culprits or prevent any recurrence of such violent acts.

He described Yingluck government as the most corrupt in the country’s history both in terms of the numbers of projects formulated to enable systemic corruption and the amount of money concerned.

"Since Prime Minister Yingluck and some Cabinet Ministers have frequently and intentionally given interviews that are distorted and sometimes the complete opposite of the truth, the Democrat Party feels obliged to issue this statement to offer more accurate accounts and ensure better understanding of the situation," the letter read.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-29

Noppadon's letter to UN sec gen
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/700395-noppadons-letter-to-un-sec-gen/

Kiat's letter to UN OHCHR Regional Office
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/700399-kiats-letter-to-un-ohchr-regional-office/

Khun Kiat why are you even bothering to write a letter to the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights ?

It is your fellow Thai citizens that you need to explain your position to sufficiently to win enough votes in a general electionblink.png

Khun Kiat can not write to the UNHCR, that is for sure the bit credit they had with there was flushed away in December 2009 when Abhisit wiped his ass on Recognized Refugee Rights. And made Thailand drop dramatically on the HRW list of civilised country's. Not to mention boats being pushed on the Andaman S. No let's draw some crocodile tears at the OHCHR.

• Like 2

I really would like someone to explain to me how Suthep can claim to want reform, yet is a staunch defender of the Lese Majeste law -which is the most abused of laws used to stifle dissent and aid corruption. I believe this shows more than anything what a hypocrite he is.

When you ask his supporters about this, they shut up, having absolutely no defense.

I loathe and despise everything the Thaksin/PT regime stands for.

But, you DO have a point there...

• Like 1

Inevitably, Thaksin's view of the situation is represented in the letter by his well-paid lawyer. Indeed, to Thaksin, all things - including this letter - can be bought. He has already proved that democracy can be bought. There is nothing that Thaksin delegates without the lure of money behind it, nothing he is interested in that is not in some way connected with it. He truly believes that money will buy him anything he wants, including a revised charter, an amnesty, all his money returned, and all his power. The road for Thaksin has always been paved with money. And as he has a tremendous amount of it, he has managed to buy the position he now occupies. But that is why the situation is so dire, because that influence is proceeding to eat up everything in its path that does not profit him. For Thaksin - and his avid supporters - the argument is always framed over an election, and not over the abuses of power. And certainly not about him. Thaksin supporters do their best to not refer to him at all. But despite these two respective letters, this situation will not be decided in the international arena, but the domestic one. Domestically, Thaksin is fast losing the remaining cards he has left. For Thaksin to deign to go to the UN must mean he really is in trouble.

• Like 2

For one, Noppadom is not even an official representative of this govt nor the Peua Thai executive, he is a member but mostly acts in his capacity as spokesperson for a fugitive criminal who shouldn't have any role in a democratic leadership. So, him putting out a letter says it all about their role in this crisis.

Dems letter is equally disingenuous.

Regardless, the UN would be pretty well briefed on the situation and why it's all gone wrong and why an election is unrealistic and why half a million people have lost faith in it. So, both these letters demonstrate childish politicians presenting half-truths to the UN, which demonstrates exactly why Thailand is in such a mess.

Inevitably, Thaksin's view of the situation is represented in the letter by his well-paid lawyer. Indeed, to Thaksin, all things - including this letter - can be bought. He has already proved that democracy can be bought. There is nothing that Thaksin delegates without the lure of money behind it, nothing he is interested in that is not in some way connected with it. He truly believes that money will buy him anything he wants, including a revised charter, an amnesty, all his money returned, and all his power. The road for Thaksin has always been paved with money. And as he has a tremendous amount of it, he has managed to buy the position he now occupies. But that is why the situation is so dire, because that influence is proceeding to eat up everything in its path that does not profit him. For Thaksin - and his avid supporters - the argument is always framed over an election, and not over the abuses of power. And certainly not about him. Thaksin supporters do their best to not refer to him at all. But despite these two respective letters, this situation will not be decided in the international arena, but the domestic one. Domestically, Thaksin is fast losing the remaining cards he has left. For Thaksin to deign to go to the UN must mean he really is in trouble.

As long there are laws in Thailand like what puts other humans above the law and the dems support those laws,as long the democratic party will not be a democratic party.And this gives PTP a much better image for UNeyes

• Like 1

I really would like someone to explain to me how Suthep can claim to want reform, yet is a staunch defender of the Lese Majeste law -which is the most abused of laws used to stifle dissent and aid corruption. I believe this shows more than anything what a hypocrite he is.

When you ask his supporters about this, they shut up, having absolutely no defense.

You both have no idea of Thainess....it's not rocket science......well maybe it does have some degree of difficulty to comprehend......but it really is simple.....whatever foreigners think.........whatever foreigners want to do....it's wrong.........how simple is that???

The country needs some respect for the Constitution. Let the vote take place without any violence. If the protesters attempt to stop any one from voting, arrest them. If they resist arrest, shoot them.

That sounds like a very democratic option. Errr... sorry, a very Thaksinesque option. If they don't agree with you, shoot them. Well done that man for nailing your colours so firmly to the mast.

You both have no idea of Thainess....it's not rocket science......well maybe it does have some degree of difficulty to comprehend......but it really is simple.....whatever foreigners think.........whatever foreigners want to do....it's wrong.........how simple is that???

Thank you oh wise one...... for showing us the error of our ways......Now pop another bottle of Chang and bask in your......enlightenment... :P

Well you are living in a different culture. They respect their king here.

To many people have no scruples and will print any thing that sells newspapers.

Then there are posters on Thai Visa that want every one to think Thailand is going down the tube because it honors the King and does not allow them to put out their usual B S.

While there are countless proofs that the yellow protesters are violent, I wonder how Suthep can qualify the government of being violent.

The army does not carry guns, the police stays far away from the protesters, and the government let them occupy whatever they wish...

While, strangely, some farangs support this insane individual, the UN cannot be fooled that easily.

Suthep's letter is good enough for the rubbish bin sleep.png

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is it Yingluck's looks or her brilliant mind that fools you.wai.gif

Then there are posters on Thai Visa that want every one to think Thailand is going down the tube because it honors the King and does not allow them to put out their usual B S.

How nice you can voice your opinion on the matter, whereas I cannot or risk 15 years of prison.

It's a law that is abused for political reasons, it's rotten law and should be the first law trashed by any true reformer.

• Like 1

Everybody is writing letters to UN!

Thought UN is not their father, as my "idol" said, and they don't give a rat's arse as to what foreigners say as Khun Sutherp said.whistling.gif

Me too!

Deer Bankimoon,

I would be pleased to be your special representative/Ambassador ( up to you) to Nakhon Sawan what is the going rate plus expenses, white Mercedes, all the usual perks et etc.

Yours,

J Bond, RN commander ( rtd).

And who decides what is BS?

• Like 1

He said this, they said that, and then they said this again. Thais whining like children seeking favor and attention. Ratting out their brothers in public in front of the world. Bringing shame and disrepute to Thailand over and over.

• Like 1

He said this, they said that, and then they said this again. Thais whining like children seeking favor and attention. Ratting out their brothers in public in front of the world. Bringing shame and disrepute to Thailand over and over.

You got that right.

If the United Nations gave a hoot and came down on the side of either side it would not change the situation here in Thailand one iota. But it did get room in the papers for both sides.

Wow

And who decides what is BS?

No body. That is why you are not allowed top put it out. Duh