Chiangmai Ram 1

tigerbeer

son has some fever, just wanted to know what kind of infection. our regular doctor (Khun Dr. Saipin) was on leave. some old man doctor who looks like he should retire at the pediatrics attended to my son. asked him what antibiotics has he prescibed, no answer. just antibiotics he said. mentioned that my son has "very red throat". fine, so its a throat infection. thats all i needed to know.

got to the payment counter and we were charged 1,100 baht. asked why its so much, they said its the cost of the medicine. went to the pharmacy and saw that they have prescribed Banan, some new antibiotic. my children have been prescribed many different kinds of antibiotics there and all of them have been "pretty strong" ones. a word with my sis who is a doc strongly disagrees about giving the kids strong antibiotics. she recommends the lower class, amoxicillin, clarithromycin, erythromycin for mild infections before moving up to the next class in case it doesnt work.

i told them i dont want the antibiotic. they can have it back and i got refunded 720 baht for it. drove down to Pharma Choice and asked about the same antibiotic and how much it was (out of curiosity). they would sell it to me for 270 baht. difference of 450! i went for the regular erythromycin manuctured by OLIC for 85 Baht.

its not about the money. i would pay whatever it takes to make my children feel ok but please be warned that if you go to chiangmai ram 1, just get diagnosed and head out somewhere else for your medications. i intend to do that from now onwards. we have had 2 children born in that hospital but they have started being a bit unreasonable in the charges of their medications.

also if someone could recommend me some good pediatric doctors in chiang mai, it would be much appreciated.

son has some fever, just wanted to know what kind of infection. our regular doctor (Khun Dr. Saipin) was on leave. some old man doctor who looks like he should retire at the pediatrics attended to my son. asked him what antibiotics has he prescibed, no answer. just antibiotics he said. mentioned that my son has "very red throat". fine, so its a throat infection. thats all i needed to know.

got to the payment counter and we were charged 1,100 baht. asked why its so much, they said its the cost of the medicine. went to the pharmacy and saw that they have prescribed Banan, some new antibiotic. my children have been prescribed many different kinds of antibiotics there and all of them have been "pretty strong" ones. a word with my sis who is a doc strongly disagrees about giving the kids strong antibiotics. she recommends the lower class, amoxicillin, clarithromycin, erythromycin for mild infections before moving up to the next class in case it doesnt work.

i told them i dont want the antibiotic. they can have it back and i got refunded 720 baht for it. drove down to Pharma Choice and asked about the same antibiotic and how much it was (out of curiosity). they would sell it to me for 270 baht. difference of 450! i went for the regular erythromycin manuctured by OLIC for 85 Baht.

its not about the money. i would pay whatever it takes to make my children feel ok but please be warned that if you go to chiangmai ram 1, just get diagnosed and head out somewhere else for your medications. i intend to do that from now onwards. we have had 2 children born in that hospital but they have started being a bit unreasonable in the charges of their medications.

also if someone could recommend me some good pediatric doctors in chiang mai, it would be much appreciated.

My impression, right or wrong, is that if you don't have a company health insurance card, or the equivalent, you're purfunctorily treated.

Also I want to confirm that lab and medicine costs are far above other CM hospitals, not to mention pharmacies.

I get the feeling that the hospital is trying to reserve their unquestionable abilities for individuals/companies who don't have to bother about costs.