Anti-govt mass rally on poll day, PDRC vows complete Bangkok shutdown

webfact

ANTI-GOVERNMENT RALLY
Mass rally on poll day

THE NATION

PDRC vows complete city shutdown; urges boycott of vote; 200,000-plus police to be deployed nationwide

BANGKOK: -- SUTHEP THAUGSUBAN, leader of the ongoing anti-government protest, yesterday threatened to bring Bangkok to a "complete shutdown" on election day, while half of the 400,000-strong national police force is expected to be deployed to maintain law and order on the day.

The People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) will start marching down the streets of Bangkok from today until Saturday, before calling for another mass rally on Sunday, he said.

"On February 2, we will completely shut down Bangkok. Roads will be turned into pedestrian walkways and people will not have to go to vote," he announced on stage at the Lumpini Park protest site last night.

He also called on eligible voters to join the PDRC at its protest sites across the capital instead. "Don't regret losing out on your rights [from not voting]," he said.

According to Suthep, the protest marches over the next three days would cover Sukhumvit, Ratchadaphisek and Silom roads, as well as Yaowaraj, where Chinatown is located.

Three mass rallies had been called by the PDRC in November and December, attended by several thousands of people, before the start of its "Bangkok shutdown" campaign on January 13 to force the caretaker Cabinet to resign and pave the way for national reforms.

A PDRC source said it planned to besiege half of the ballot stations in Bangkok although it would attempt to disrupt voting in all 50 districts of the capital.

Assistant national police chief Pol Lt Gen Amnart An-atngam said yesterday that more than 250,000 policemen would be deployed, in addition to 1,450 rapid-deployment units on standby at police stations.

The focus would be on polling stations in Bangkok and 10 provinces in the South where advance voting was disrupted last Sunday by protesters, he added.

He said that advance voting was held without any incidents in more than 80 per cent of the polling stations. He expected a similar situation, largely without violence, this Sunday when eligible voters go to the polls at 93,535 voting stations in all 77 provinces.

He said the police have security plans for election officials and ballot papers and noted that shipments of ballot papers for the South remained blocked at the region's three major postal centres.

Protesters linked to the PDRC yesterday blockaded the three centres in Songkhla's Hat Yai district, Nakhon Si Thammarat's Thung Song district, and Chumphon's Muang district. As a result, ballot papers sent by mail from the Election Commission (EC) in Bangkok to those post offices could not be distributed to other southern provinces. The protesters said they planned to blockade the post offices until election day.

Songkhla's election head, Anont Manasvanit, said if the blockade continued, it was likely that ballot papers would not reach the voting stations in time for the election.

EC chairman Supachai Somcharoen said in Bangkok he expected the blockade to affect voting in the South as the polling stations would not have ballot papers.

In Bangkok, the directors of three districts - Bang Kapi, Bang Kho Laem and Yan Nawa - have resigned as election officials ex-officio following threat of legal action by those affected by the disruption of advance voting, said Ninnart Chalitanont, permanent secretary of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration. Ninnart said they would be replaced and she did not think Sunday's voting would be affected.

Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan, who is also leader of the ruling Pheu Thai Party, yesterday said he has instructed provincial governors to campaign for eligible voters to turn out in large numbers this Sunday.

The Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order has assigned four agencies to take possible legal action against people and organisations that provide financial assistance to the PDRC, Department of Special Investigation chief Tarit Pengdith was speaking after a meeting yesterday.

The Army has sent its soldiers to help maintain peace and security for both officials and protesters, Army deputy spokesman Colonel Winthai Suvaree said.

Soldiers would conduct patrols around the protest sites and there were rapid-deployment units in case of emergency, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-30

• Like 1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whilst I supported Sutheps goals to begin with, he is now becoming an embarrassment for all who followed him..

It has become obvious (though not to him) that continued protests are not really achieving that much, as the government has the combined intellect of a 3yr old.

If he just stood aside and let the people of the country vote, he might be surprised at the results ??

"The Army has sent its soldiers to help maintain peace and security for both officials and protesters."

What about protection to voters from the protestors.

The Thai army is a creature of Thai "officials" and designated protesters masquerading as a democratic protest. protecting average ordinary Thai people is not their normal charter. Just look at the number of deaths and injuries in the Thai south, and you can see the Thai army's diligence, willingness, and competence in protecting ordinary Thai people or voters.

• Like 1

Whilst I supported Sutheps goals to begin with, he is now becoming an embarrassment for all who followed him..

It has become obvious (though not to him) that continued protests are not really achieving that much, as the government has the combined intellect of a 3yr old.

If he just stood aside and let the people of the country vote, he might be surprised at the results ??

If this government has an intelect of a 3 year old what does suthep have? a1 year old? I guess you want a dictatorship also? Becuase that is what he wants.

"The Army has sent its soldiers to help maintain peace and security for both officials and protesters."

What about protection to voters from the protestors.

The Thai army is a creature of Thai "officials" and designated protesters masquerading as a democratic protest. protecting average ordinary Thai people is not their normal charter. Just look at the number of deaths and injuries in the Thai south, and you can see the Thai army's diligence, willingness, and competence in protecting ordinary Thai people or voters.

Surely it's the job of the police not the army? The army is there to protect the country from outside attacks etc, not to protect idiots who willingly put themselves in harms way by denying their neighbours and fellow countrymen the right to vote

• Like 2

Jesus Christ.. Thailand has 400 000 Policemen?? What a gigantic number!

I just checked on Wiki... My home country of Germany has 220 000, with a larger population (82 mln)

... And the last time I looked, they managed their job slightly better than their collegues here in the LOS.

Thailand has all sorts of police forces, Immigration, Municipal, Border, Tourist, etc. Traffic as well as the Royal Thai Police. I think the number 100 000 may not be far off the mark.

Suthep might be surprised at the results ?

I'm convinced that Suthep knows that if there was no blocking of poll booths, right, if all those who want to vote are going to be allowed to vote, (and all those who want to stay at home and not vote can stay at home) well, the result will make him look pretty silly. That's WHY he is trying to stop the vote !

If there's going to be an election with nobody being prevented to travel to the polling booths, well, the Tkaksin party will win. They always do.

Yes, anti-Thaksinites on TV have always claimed that the Tkaksin party wins because of " a 500 baht payment, and populist policies that will bankrupt the nation". Those anti-Thaksinites will not say that the Thaksin party will lose, that's because they know that the Thaksin party won't lose !

smile.png

I didn't say the PTP wouldn't win a fair and decomcratic election...

I think he will be surprised that the election will be a complete disaster even without his intervention.

There is no chance that this election can produce a result, so therefore he will get more bonus points for stepping aside and letting it run it's course :)

• Like 1

So now Suthep has come out and admitted he has no interest in democracy; "Don't regret losing out on your rights [from not voting]," he said. His only interests are what his masters tell them they should be, you know, the ones that want to get their snouts back in the troughs that Thaksin pushed them out of

• Like 2

So now Suthep has come out and admitted he has no interest in democracy; "Don't regret losing out on your rights [from not voting]," he said. His only interests are what his masters tell them they should be, you know, the ones that want to get their snouts back in the troughs that Thaksin pushed them out of

i was wrong.........he can be honest. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

And this man has the Gaul to include the word DEMOCRACY in his party yet is now prepared to prevent THE RIGHT TO VOTE for the people of Thailand this Sunday. I hope that once the new government is elected and we all know the outcome already that they have the courage to place this guy under arrest for the damage he has caused to the good folk of Thailand. I would love to see him exported for a couple of weeks to North Korea or to the salt mines of Russia Goodbye and Good riddance Suthep !!!

• Like 2

Democracy, doesn,t work. Is it a Democracy when voters are disenfranchised ,like the Florida voters, in GW Bushes 2nd Term Election. Is it a Democracy when the vote is paid for by the Winner, or Corporate Sleeze Bags. No. Democracy is an unobtainable Goal. In CM the Opposition can,t raise their voices, lest they be attacked by the so called believers in Democracy. Let the people vote and give Amnesty to all the Crooks, I for one dont call that Democracy, I call that being sucked in.

• Like 1

And this man has the Gaul to include the word DEMOCRACY in his party yet is now prepared to prevent THE RIGHT TO VOTE for the people of Thailand this Sunday. I hope that once the new government is elected and we all know the outcome already that they have the courage to place this guy under arrest for the damage he has caused to the good folk of Thailand. I would love to see him exported for a couple of weeks to North Korea or to the salt mines of Russia Goodbye and Good riddance Suthep !!!

Jesus, Dont some of the posters Read, After the Election a Government cannot be formed as there aren,t enough Ministers . Shortly after this the caretaker government will be Kicked out of Parliment for trying to Usurp the Constitution. Any vote is just a sham, to show the people that yes, we won the Election but can,t sit as most of us are Criminals. United Dupes of Democracy sounds more like it

• Like 2

Further actions of this kind seem to be to provoke civil war to the extent that the army is forced into action .

People should understand that the Thai armed forces are not a fighting force to protect Thailand and her people .

They are to protect the King , to enhance royal prestige , a show of armory , to make a display on colourful parades .

Give Suthep and his followers enough rope and they will hang themselves .

Further actions of this kind seem to be to provoke civil war to the extent that the army is forced into action .

People should understand that the Thai armed forces are not a fighting force to protect Thailand and her people .

They are to protect the King , to enhance royal prestige , a show of armory , to make a display on colourful parades .

Give Suthep and his followers enough rope and they will hang themselves .

Very true.post-168936-0-74453200-1391051803_thumb.

• Like 2