German couple rescued after hours in dark Phuket forest

webfact

What I find odd is....since PKT is an island...hence fairly "circular"

and surrounded by water on all sides....and not that large...how does

one actually get lost...even at night? Oh well...I was a Boy Scout

once and know how to at least find North even at night...but when

I was a Scout we didn't know what magic mushrooms were....

I take it you have never had to make your way through tropical rainforest on hilly terrain in the dark in utterly unsuitable clothing. Provided you can maintain a straight course you might be able to progress between 1 and 2 km per hour if you are lucky. The diameter of Phuket is about 11 km from East to West.

I agree. Although the jungle is not the thickest up there between Ton Sai waterfall and Bang Pae waterfall on the east side, there is a maze of trails in the area and easy to wander onto the wrong one.

Like someone said earlier, even the Thai guides get lost up there.

Most likely the ones saying that it's next to impossible to get lost in Phuket's jungles, haven't been up there.

Well, he had his Robinson and she had her Friday... biggrin.png

I have found some Thais getting totally lost knowing where they are and a map given to them. After that all bets are off...once I was traveling with a lady in her car and I was trying to give advice which ramp to go (this was in Bangkok) but she refused to listen to me since I am Farang and can't understand...then she asked a taxi driver to drive in front of us to the hotel where we were going and surprise it was where I told it to be (driven in BKK quite often and normally found my way).

How this applies to this case? Well, I suppose there might have been few signs there and here showing wrong direction and after that no signs and no path to follow and just simply lost in the forest (I believe it not to be a huge jungle).

Inefficiency and no proper marking of routes does not surprise me. This couple was probably more used to German use of logic and leisurely walks in something that I would not call wilderness. rolleyes.gif

I have never met a Thai yet who even knows where north is on a map or knows what North means. Fact.