The little things that make Thailand a nice place to live

Saan

My favourite event was when one of the guests at my wife's guesthouse went for a walk and got lost

She went into a 7-11 to ask for directions and one of the guys behind the counter popped her on the back of his scooter, drove her back (about 2km) and wouldn't accept any recompense from either the guest or my wife

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Same thing happened to me last week. I bought a reel of computer cable at Computer City near KSK. It was a bit heavy, but I could have easily managed to bring it back to the car and told them so, but a store clerk insisted on carrying it for me to the car.

Thailand wouldn't be Thailand without Thai people. Or something like that.

I went into a Thai restaurant that I go into some nights. It was morning and all the booths were full I was invited to sit at one by an elderly Thai gentleman. We could barely communicate because of the language differences but it was an enjoyable meal. I was having trouble navigating one day coming up the stairs from the rest room at the theater. No I had not been drinking or drugging. I had a cane and one of the ushers saw me and held my arm while I came up the steps and up the ones into the theater.smile.png

There are so many little things that I tend to take them for granite. There is the occasional big thing but I just remind my self that it is not my country or way of doing things and leave. I will admit that once I did over react before I left. If I had known about Thai Visa I would have come home and posted about the abuse I had received at the hands of a travel agent doing things the Thai way and not the American way.

It would have garnered me lots of sympathy.facepalm.gif

A few years ago my bike broke down - a Thai guy saw me pushing it down a highway and stopped - he was an ex-army engineer (he told me) and said the spark plug was knackered. He then proceeded to push me with his foot on my rear peg from his bike for a good 10km to my home - he would take nothing for his trouble. He was perhaps late 20s and this was in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

A few years ago my bike broke down - a Thai guy saw me pushing it down a highway and stopped - he was an ex-army engineer (he told me) and said the spark plug was knackered. He then proceeded to push me with his foot on my rear peg from his bike for a good 10km to my home - he would take nothing for his trouble. He was perhaps late 20s and this was in Chiang Mai.

Seen this before with two Thai guys, wondering what they were doing.smile.png

Edited by lmfao

Some years back left my wallet on a bench in the Northern Thai shopping Pavilion at the Airport Plaza. Thought, oh well, cancel the credit card. Two days later got a call to my condo and within 20mins a Thai family on a motorcycle drove-up to deliver my wallet.......with everything inside including the 600 baht cash!!.....couldn't believe it, I just smiled and gave all the cash to the guy on the bike who was clearly not well-off in appearance. We all parted ways with a big smile.

Time and time again I experience the least corrupt people being at the lower socio-economic strata.

I lost my UK driving license - could not find it anywhere. Six months later, in the bank (Bkk Bank BigC Hang Dong 1) sitting at the security desk to fill in a form, I spot it sitting in an open shallow box (tissue box size) staring up at me - I suddenly remembered that I had used it in the bank all those months back (I had stuck my mobile number (sim card sticker) on the dust jacket and needed the number to fill out a form). It had sat there in the open for 6 months - perhaps no real value, but I can guarantee if I had done the same back home, some b'day would have nabbed it and used it as ID!

In November I went to the Hot Springs. Whilst in the changing room I spot a phone on the floor - all alone. Its a new Nexus, still on, but locked and all in pictograms (Chinese/Japanese/Korean - hard to tell as it was a stylised font). I picked it up and kept it with me while I swam - some time later two teenage tourists (boys - may have been Chinese, Japanese or Korean) appeared very agitated around the changing room. They were obviously looking for something and were very worried. By the time I had got out the pool, they were gone. After I changed, I saw them again still frantically searching along the shrubs by the side of the roads, and asked in English if they had lost a phone. They understood English enough to look up expectantly and almost shout "yes". They were extremely pleased when I handed them the phone. I was really trying hard to work out what to do - my first instinct was to pick it up and see if anyone came looking (which luckily they did) - having had several phones stolen here and at home I was loath to leave $500+ phone on the floor - I was wondering what to do if no one did come back (yes keeping it did cross my mind - devil on my shoulder - but I decided I could not do that if I could find the owner). I did consider posting here to see if anyone had lost it - but worried that Asians might never look here. I also considered turning it over to security or the police, but guessed that it would either go in a draw or a pocket.

Seen this before with two Thai guys, wondering what they were doing.smile.png

Its quite a thrill - going about 40 kmh, but no control of speed etc, and having to turn together and resist breaking :) - bit like being short-rope-towed for the first time.

• Like 1

I was crossing the Iron Bridge going west. Limping along with my cane when I heard a motor bike coming up behind me. I just stepped to the side to give them room. As soon as he passed me he stopped and asked where I was going and if I wanted a ride. I said no I was not going far I had a friend that I was going to visit and I did need the exercise.smile.png

Truth is I did want the ride but I needed the exercise more.sad.png

I met a really nice guy near the royal palace. He said his friend owned a gem shop and would take me there for free...

Hey, I met the same guy a few years ago at exactly the same place. He even informed me that it was pointless to go into the grounds of the Palace as it was closed that day. What a very nice guy!

• Like 2

Shooting (filming) Songkran in BKK back in 2005 I stepped into a

puddle that turned out to be a 2 foot deep hole; twisted my right

ankle & knee quite badly & everyone within earshot instantly knew

I had great command of 4 and 8 letter compound words. The pain

was immense and so was the help from the patricipants of the worlds

largest wet t-shirt contest. One participant was a doctor who

wrapped both knee & ankle in elastic bandages, another person;

a lady grabbed my TV camera and another person along with

the doctor helped me not only to my feet but to the doctor's car

& off to the hospital for x-rays. No wait at the hospital save for

the X-rays & cleaning of some scrapes and a tetanus shot that

I was willing & able to pay for but no....those fee's were taken

care of by somebody else...the doctor. In the end we all returned

to the festivities with myself none the worse for wear & tear save

for a nasty limp. And a bunch of new friends.

• Like 1

In my Very, Very Long in Thailand, (since the Viet Nam War) the positives far out weigh the negatives, not only here in Thailand but most of S.E. Asia.

Some one needs to put together a list and experiences of the positive side of Thailand.

Keeping in mind if things are not done our way, they are not wrong, many things are baised on experecne and culture. Respect it and move on!

Seems everything lately is negative.

If we had to list the country where the "negative" posters i'de bet most do not live here in The Land of Smiles.!

farang62,

I sent you a PM.

Did you notice how many bicycles are alone on the streets without any chain or lock? Did you notice in America how many bicycles are alone on

the streets without main parts that the owners take home or carry to avoid losing it? Even doing it..I lost 4 bicycles in 5 years, inside my patio, from my car rack, a hotel parking, in a minute of distraction, in San Diego...the "finest city in the US"...

Here..... my wife get very upset if I take a banana hanging outside and abandoned house fence.....

When I sit in the beer bar in my shorts and wife beater on my tenth chang, little kids and old ladies come up and try and give me chewing gum and flowers. I always decline, but it's so nice of them to offer.

And to top it off, the waitress just popped the cap of the next chang ...for me.

in a bar the other night and a young thai man swopped his cane back chair with me and took my stool,nice policeman stopped me for minor traffic offence,and refused to give me a ticket????wink wink.i should well imagin,one could write a book on the every day nice things happen to oversea vistors and long stay guys from the thais,some of them really go overboard to help, please, or assist you,and long may it last.

Nice thread, and lots of great responses. Good to concentrate on the positive occasionally. I like to think that this is the true nature of the Thai people, and that the terrible things we see are mostly in the large tourist traps, where the bad elements of Thailand seem to gravitate because of the concentration of money.

• Like 1

Did you notice how many bicycles are alone on the streets without any chain or lock? Did you notice in America how many bicycles are alone on

the streets without main parts that the owners take home or carry to avoid losing it? Even doing it..I lost 4 bicycles in 5 years, inside my patio, from my car rack, a hotel parking, in a minute of distraction, in San Diego...the "finest city in the US"...

Here..... my wife get very upset if I take a banana hanging outside and abandoned house fence.....

Ha, I lost a bicycle in SD too!! I left it locked up with a cheap cable lock outside Albertson's at University and Louisiana. I came out to see 2 guys, one of them already had a bike, but the other one was casually mounting my bike and preparing to ride away. I knew I could not catch them by running, as I recently had a knee replacement, so I yelled out, get off my bike, MFER! He started to get off, but then saw I could not run, and he got back on, and rode away, saying: It's mine now. I really really wanted to get my hands on those guys, and went loping off after them with my Festus power limp, carrying a gallon of milk. I have learned that in SD, anything not closely attended to WILL be stolen, doesn't matter what it is, or how seemingly worthless.