Auto Trivia

bazmlb

Ferrari GTO - Gran Turismo Omologato, (English "homologated") was to signify that the vehicle conformed to an agreed set of racing specifications.

It would seem that Pontiac had no idea of what the "O" stood for it just seemed a nice name.

BTW - what does "Ferrari" mean? (the clue is in the badge)

Prancing Horse

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ferrari GTO - Gran Turismo Omologato, (English "homologated") was to signify that the vehicle conformed to an agreed set of racing specifications.

It would seem that Pontiac had no idea of what the "O" stood for it just seemed a nice name.

Prancing Horse

a CLUE is in the badge. .....not the answer

Prancing Horse

I cheated........ blacksmith

BTW, I think JZD knew exactly what GTO stood for.

Prancing Horse

The Chemical symbol for iron is Fe from the Latin Fer, feris. So literally Ferrari means iron worker.....which in English would translate to Blacksith or rather "Smith" which I think is hardly the name you's associate with a super car.

"What kind of sports car is that?"

"It's a Smith"

Just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

As for GTO - Pontiac probably knew what it stood for but checked to see if it was a registered trademark and found it wasn't....so they took it. I think you'll find a MR Delorean is somewhere behind this. I very much doubt if the true meaning of GTO applied to the Pontiac.

Edited by wilcopops

Back to Citroen. I looked it up they are called herringbone gears. Apparently crucial for the advent of steam turbine ships as there is no axial load.

"The Citroen Double Chevron badge is much more than one of the most famous brand marks in the world, it is constant reminder to every other car maker that their products rely on a Citroen invention: The Helical Gear, which is used in every vehicle on the road. Before the helical gear, gearboxes were noisy with constant whining, gears were difficult to engage and, once engaged, they provided a far from reliable transfer of power. Andre Citroen changed all of that. His family company Engrenages Citroen, invented, licensed and produced the first helical gears and their distinctive herringbone teeth provided the company with its first and enduring badge, one that has just been given a facelift for the new Citroen C5 and Citroen C4."

Prancing Horse

The Chemical symbol for iron is Fe from the Latin Fer, feris. So literally Ferrari means iron worker.....which in English would translate to Blacksith or rather "Smith" which I think is hardly the name you's associate with a super car.

"What kind of sports car is that?"

"It's a Smith"

Just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

As for GTO - Pontiac probably knew what it stood for but checked to see if it was a registered trademark and found it wasn't....so they took it. I think you'll find a MR Delorean is somewhere behind this. I very much doubt if the true meaning of GTO applied to the Pontiac.

JZD = Delorean

Back to Citroen. I looked it up they are called herringbone gears. Apparently crucial for the advent of steam turbine ships as there is no axial load.

"The Citroen Double Chevron badge is much more than one of the most famous brand marks in the world, it is constant reminder to every other car maker that their products rely on a Citroen invention: The Helical Gear, which is used in every vehicle on the road. Before the helical gear, gearboxes were noisy with constant whining, gears were difficult to engage and, once engaged, they provided a far from reliable transfer of power. Andre Citroen changed all of that. His family company Engrenages Citroen, invented, licensed and produced the first helical gears and their distinctive herringbone teeth provided the company with its first and enduring badge, one that has just been given a facelift for the new Citroen C5 and Citroen C4."

Like I said Herringbone.

Citroën[edit]
220px-Herringbone_double-helical_bevel_g
magnify-clip.png
Citroën Type A final drive herringbone pinion and crownwheel

The logo of the car maker Citroën is a graphic representation of a herringbone gear, reflecting André Citroën's earlier involvement in the manufacture of these gears. Early Mors and Citroën cars used a herringbone bevel gear final drive in the rear axle.[3]

Austins Devon and Somerset,. Bristol Cars.Austin Westminster. Morris Cowley.Ford Anglia.Vauxhall Wyvern.

How's about just "Vauxhall"?...... Bedford, Thames...Humber although that was the founder's name. Aston, Caterham, BSA?

Edited by wilcopops

How's about just "Vauxhall"?...... Bedford, Thames...Humber although that was the founder's name. Aston, Caterham, BSA?

Although there are many Astons in the UK, the Aston Martin was not named after any on them. Technically Aston Hill is more of thing than a place name. It doesn't appear as a name on any maps I have found.

How many cars can you find with British place names?

e.g

Morris Oxford, Austin Cambridge

Ford Anglia

Lincoln

Austin Healey Silverstone

Cadillac Fleetwood

Jowett Bradford

Edited by MMarlow

Was Jeep based on GP from General Purpose?

That's what I was lead to believe, but there are other stories....one about army slang for something new/untested.....whether that had initials too I don't know..............time for Google?Probably, , the reason I asked is that it really isn't that clear.........