Chiang Mai Airport expanding to 24 hour operation in April

jaiyenjohn

Just an FYI for my fellow Hang-Dongians. According to one major English language paper in Bangkok, as part of the new airport expansion, CNX will be open to flights 24 hours a day starting in April to accommodate increased Chinese tourism. Currently the airport shuts down between midnight and 6pm.

There is a link to this article that mentions it in Chiang Mai City Life.

We are already getting flights in the middle of the night. Several landed around 3-4AM the past couple nights.

Yes, and lately some takeoffs after 1am as well.

Most China-bound flights takeoff heading north, and then veer East/NE over Sansai.

• Like 1

Surely it must be worse in the Nimmanhemenan (Sp?) area. That's the direction most flights take off and they're at their noisiest.

They certainly seem to be running well after midnight and start before dawn. Fortunately, the Suthep area West of the airport doesn't get much noise.

• Like 1

If true, it won't be changed unless a Thai VIP wants to get involved. Complaints from Thai peasants and ex-pats won't have any affect.

It may work in my favor. I'm not bothered by aircraft noise, and this may lead to an exodus of high-end condo owners and renters in the Nimmanhamin area, with a corresponding drop in prices.

I'm curious if any of the people who paid deposits on the under-construction condos are aware of this.

Yep, no real biggie; pumping car stereos, tuk-tuks, dogs, cock-a-doodle-doos in the small hours are far more disturbing than a low, steady rumble, but (as convenient as it is) it really is about time the airport was booted out of town.

Yep, no real biggie; pumping car stereos, tuk-tuks, dogs, cock-a-doodle-doos in the small hours are far more disturbing than a low, steady rumble, but (as convenient as it is) it really is about time the airport was booted out of town.

Airport is fine where it is. Time to start a company selling double glazing. Where to find a list of phone numbers on the flight path to call around dinner time.....

No big deal. People are all ready use to the noise of as plane or they will get use to it. Can't be as bad as a neighbor dog barking all night.

Yeah northernjohn but you can't poison a plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"you can't poison a plane"

Although that guy down at Swampy had a good try, with his flammable suitcase of fertiliser, last week ! whistling.gif

This development is really acknowledging what's already been happening IMO, especially during the winter high-season when there seem to be more small-hours charter-flights in/out of CNX. Probably the hotels used by package-holiday tourists will also have to adjust their check-in/check-out policies.

The airlines need to use their planes efficiently, so a late-evening departure from China/Japan/Korea/Taiwan to CNX, turning-round and getting back home ready for the first early-morning departure of the new day, makes excellent economic sense. So it is likely to continue to grow.

In much the same way in the UK charter-airline industry, we used to schedule 3-4 hour overnight-routes to Greece or the Canaries, to leave LGW or MAN or wherever late-evening (before it closed for operations) & return early-morning (when it re-opened). And passed-on the efficiencies, in the flight-price, 'Club 18-30's cheapest-offers were invariably mid-week/overnight !

One minor point of comfort, for those affected by the flight-noise or take-offs, is that these airlines are nowadays typically using modern narrow-bodied aircraft like A319/320/321s or B738/9s, which are quieter than older narrow-bodies or heavy wide-bodied long-haul aircraft, and no doubt noise-reduction approach/departure patterns are already in-use, especially at night. If not, then they should be, might be worth lobbying to ensure that they're enforced ?

I recall about ten years ago viewing a strangely-empty moo-ban, of attractive traditional Lanna-style houses, about half-way between Chiang Mai & Hang Dong. We couldn't understand why they hadn't had more sales, until a Thai-Airways Jumbo-jet took off & flew over us, climbing out after a long take-off run ! I love planes & flying, but that was a little too much to want to live with, even for me !

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 2

As the new capital of Thaksinland to be, they need to expand their operations.

They, also, have to buy lots of red carpet for his Excellency, when he arrives.

yea you have to bring Thaksin into don't you? this is not about your political bias it's about the airport

• Like 1

As the new capital of Thaksinland to be, they need to expand their operations.

They, also, have to buy lots of red carpet for his Excellency, when he arrives.

yea you have to bring Thaksin into don't you? this is not about your political bias it's about the airport

Out of curiosity who owns the land it is proposing they build on it on?

Why move it when it is more than enough to serve Chiang Mai.

Where ever they move it unless it is to some really inconvenient spot there will be business and people around it. The complaints will be the same just from different people. Also the inaccessibility of it will bring even more complaints.

Why not wait until it is apparent that a new one will be needed in the near future then start building it. As it sits that point in time is years and years away.

I wonder what they are proposing to do with the existing land. Do they own it or lease it?

Edit

I lined out a word.

Edited by northernjohn

Planning for Suwannaphum Airport ,Bangkok,started in the 60's and the land was purchased in 1973. It opened about 6 years ago. While the time frame for CM might not be as lengthy, and as big a project, don't hold your breath. AND deals have to be done !

We are already getting flights in the middle of the night. Several landed around 3-4AM the past couple nights.

Yes I get them going over head nightly up until 4am (usually still at my desk - I'm a night owl).

Also seem to be getting lower these days, are they stacking more? Certainly so loud sometimes I have to put my fingers in my ears (or close the balcony door s).

Planning for Suwannaphum Airport ,Bangkok,started in the 60's and the land was purchased in 1973. It opened about 6 years ago. While the time frame for CM might not be as lengthy, and as big a project, don't hold your breath. AND deals have to be done !

I think there is a difference though. Bangkok is an Asian hub for airlines, CMX will not be. A lot of the carriers cannot fly to CMX at all and hand over at Bangkok. With a new bigger, out of town, airport, more carriers could fly direct, reducing the impact on BKK and reducing ticket prices too. The old airport could still be used for cargo and domestic during day hours (where it makes sense).

Also, unlike the capital, CM is not a business draw - a new international airport out in the sticks a little way will bring prosperity to that place without diminishing CM proper (most tourists would still come to CM) - if it was North of the city (mountains permitting), then it could also serve the far north too. A new airport in BKK just meant that other businesses and housing could not be built there - something always would have been.

It could also allow for more budget domestics at CMX (the new old airport :)) and further dismiss the "need" for a new high speed rail link.

• Like 1

You can tell the current flight status at the CNX website. You select the time range and it will tell you all all flights departing/arriving. Saturday shows one arrival (China) at 1:50AM and nothing until 6:00AM. Unfortunately, seems no options to select a specific day of the week, just the current day. http://www.chiangmaiairportonline.com/node/10

Another site - Flightstats

You can tell the current flight status at the CNX website. You select the time range and it will tell you all all flights departing/arriving. Saturday shows one arrival (China) at 1:50AM and nothing until 6:00AM. Unfortunately, seems no options to select a specific day of the week, just the current day. http://www.chiangmaiairportonline.com/node/10

Then what are all the planes everyone hears every night up until 4am? Are they all delayed? Cargo planes? unscheduled??? I do find it strange as when my parents visited in December, they landed at 11pm, but I was late getting there (called them) and when I got there 55 minutes later, they were sat outside with a security guard having been kicked out the airport as it had closed. So always wonder where these people landing are actually getting on/off the plane. However, they ARE there - every night.

Then what are all the planes everyone hears every night up until 4am? Are they all delayed?

As I mentioned, those sites only show the current day, which in this case is Saturday so will need to wait until Monday to check the weekday flights.

Then what are all the planes everyone hears every night up until 4am? Are they all delayed?

As I mentioned, those sites only show the current day, which in this case is Saturday so will need to wait until Monday to check the weekday flights.

I was being serious Tywais - not being sarcastic - the terminal is shut, but the flights are still going overhead for hours after - maybe they do run cargo planes after commercial passenger slot, that would explain it I guess - and they wouldn't be on schedules either I guess.