I Dont Understand Why Rich Thais In Bangkok Buy Expensive Cars

crazyguyinthailand

I don't want to be mean to the OP because I think his sentiment expressed is a common one, which is that Bangkok traffic is terrible and sitting in traffic appears boring and tedious however as a Bangkok driver, I can assure him that it is much more relaxing sitting in my freezing air conditioning than walking around in the blistering heat, getting in and out of crappy taxis, riding with the BTS jammed in like sardines and breathing in germs or on a motorbike in the heat and exhaust fumes and battling the elements.

It will hurt OP's feelings but he has no frame of reference.

If he had the opportunity he would find out that there is really no going back.

there must be more than a dozen threads, not only concerning cars but other subjects too, in which bitterly frustrated and financially handicapped expats not only vent their displeasure and judgment but adding strong insults based on pure stupidity.

in housing threads i read more than once utmost silly comments such as "why would i need a house with two bedrooms? i can only sleep in one!"

Naam, surely not all of the posts are from these financially handicapped farangs/expats. Indeed, I doubt there are many TRUE expats (as opposed to immigrants) who are so handicapped. I know I'm not.

Would you argue against my earlier points that there is an aspect of some Asian culture and certainly Thai culture whereby FACE is the driving force behind these scenarios? Be honest and argue your point. I think I can keep up with you intellectually, and I will honor your replies by responding in debate form to every single one of them.

no PaullyW i wouldn't argue and admit that "face" is one (but not the only one!) driving factor behind it. having said so i would like to point out that "face" or whatever you call it is not limited to Asian or Thai culture. you find this or similar factors in virtually all countries and societies, starting with "keeping up with the Jones's".

our discussion is interesting but i think we are quite off topic because the focus is the derogatory and silly core of the opening post "driving a Benz equals shitty life!"

please don't tell me you believe that this was what the OP really thought when waiting for his free bus.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big giveaway in the OP is when he claims the rich guy looked at him and had an epiphany about how much wiser the OP was for walking through traffic fumes to Big C than he was sitting in his car.

Apparently that was a really telling look he gave OP, the mind reader.

Edited by farang000999
  • Like 1

I don't want to be mean to the OP because I think his sentiment expressed is a common one, which is that Bangkok traffic is terrible and sitting in traffic appears boring and tedious however as a Bangkok driver, I can assure him that it is much more relaxing sitting in my freezing air conditioning than walking around in the blistering heat, getting in and out of crappy taxis, riding with the BTS jammed in like sardines and breathing in germs or on a motorbike in the heat and exhaust fumes and battling the elements.

there must be more than a dozen threads, not only concerning cars but other subjects too, in which bitterly frustrated and financially handicapped expats not only vent their displeasure and judgment but adding strong insults based on pure stupidity.

in housing threads i read more than once utmost silly comments such as "why would i need a house with two bedrooms? i can only sleep in one!"

and rent out the other :)

• Like 1

The big giveaway in the OP is when he claims the rich guy looked at him and had an epiphany about how much wiser the OP was for walking through traffic fumes to Big C than he was sitting in his car.

Apparently that was a really telling look he gave OP, the mind reader.

I don't think I ever said wiser. but what I meant was: How it sucked not to really be able to drive that car.

Edited by crazyguyinthailand

I agree the OP is ridiculous.

Maybe that hi-so in the benz is enjoying himself.

If that's the only time in the day when he has a minute to himself then maybe he couldn't give a dam_n how long he's stuck for.

How would you know?

I cant know 100% but I decided to write this post after I've seen a lot of Benz inside Bangkok stuck in the jams for long time.

Edited by crazyguyinthailand

Image is everything. Particularly so here. If your image is not sufficiently rich in prestige, you will not get the co-operation (read: favours) of the people you have to deal with. That is the way this society is.

There are exceptions of course, many business owners might try and hide their wealth (think Silom Chinese shophouse trader or Phetchabun Hmong market gardener) as the people they have to deal with would consider a flashy car as an opportunity to press for a better deal.

Horses for courses.

• Like 1

Image is everything. Particularly so here. If your image is not sufficiently rich in prestige, you will not get the co-operation (read: favours) of the people you have to deal with. That is the way this society is.

There are exceptions of course, many business owners might try and hide their wealth (think Silom Chinese shophouse trader or Phetchabun Hmong market gardener) as the people they have to deal with would consider a flashy car as an opportunity to press for a better deal.

Horses for courses.

Thanx Briggsy. of all the people at Thai-visa who loves to call themselves expats and act like they know everything about Thailand. only you and a few others could really answer my question wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

For the first six months after we arrived in Bangkok we had a driver. She was great and knew the city like the back of her hand but I quickly got fed up with sitting in traffic jams for hours just to travel a few kilometres.

Yes, sitting in the back in air-conditioned comfort playing on the iPad is no hardship but taxis, BTS, MRT, BRT and, god forbid, walking can usually get you from A to B in ola fraction of the time. Hulkklk

• Like 2

Posted 2014-02-08 08:47:14

thats the old price.....

http://cars.aol.co.u...ls-for-445-000/

Not a Limo but here in Thailand a SWB 600 for 5.4 million baht. http://www.carkolorclassics.com/

Mercedes Benz 600 SWB Limousine W100

Original V8-engine with 6,332 cm³ and 250 hp.

Black colour and red leather interior.

http://www.thaiautovintage.com/web/home.php often has interesting old Benz cars For Sale

other than that there a a number of early 90s S Class 500 Limousine here eg: http://showroom.one2car.com/carDetail.aspx?car_id=g07100232

Edited by ignis

Because they are rich.

Because they pretend to be? Why is it that Thailand has one of the highest rates of stolen and illegally imported luxury vehicle markets in the world? Because most people can't really afford to buy them clean. There are not many rich Thais.

• Like 1

Because they are rich.

Because they pretend to be? Why is it that Thailand has one of the highest rates of stolen and illegally imported luxury vehicle markets in the world? Because most people can't really afford to buy them clean. There are not many rich Thais.

Where does this info come ? Never heard that people drive stolen benz and bmw here, this is not Europe and it sounds ridiculous to say that because how could they find stolen luxury cars in Thailand when the countries around are not a lot more developed than here...

Proportionately there were more expensive cars on the road pre- Asian crisis.

1996 sukhumvit was flooded..all these rich sitting on the bonnets of their expensive cars..I am sure the op would have liked that.

Cars are a status obsession.

Buy a condo for 6 million, buy a BMW for 3 million...no real logic..

What surprises me is how some farangs who marry Thais buy into this..

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Note that I mean expensive cars ONLY in BKK not in Thailand.

Why do people buy Lexus ? Lots here and go to any border in Cambodia there appears lots...

RX 270 over 4.1 - 4.4 million baht.

Fortuner 2.7 cost 1.2 million baht.

An American guy told me everything about that. I don't remember everything he told me. but If I remembered right most of those Lexus cars comes from the US at a really good price.

this topic just weird, some guy is wating for the stinky, crowed public transit by Big C and sees someone in a fine car in a trafic jam and has a delusion that his life is better, and that had he been a rich thai he would drive a cheap car and walk around ?

you gotta be kiding me man, the difference between a fine german car a cheap asian one is astounding, everything from saftey, seats, motor.. the way the trunk closes.. if you can afford someone well made, go for it, thats the point of making money..

i am sure the guy was looking at the window, maybe the worst part of his day was being stuck in traffic looking at all the poor farang slobs out there trying to swish their way on public transit ?

just saying..

• Like 1

ps.. if i was rich i would be modest as possible and try not to show off, but i sure as hell wouldn't risk my life on a motorcycle or suffer the crap common boring car if i didn't have to..

there is more reasons to own a fine german car then making poor people envy you.. some people don't get that.

I wonder why the persons with nice cars don't put their small kids in car seats ( or even seat belts) in BKK

Because rich or poor they all are stupid brainless ? But the rich have less excuse, they have time and possibility to understand that they are stupid !

most rich people work really hard everyday man... get a grip, where do you think they get money from ? lol.. on the other hand, it's the people who can't afford a good life that really seem to pick at the ones that do well and the 1st chance they get to make some money there they are, worse than anyone in the world about it all.. seen it a million time, just like hippies all sold out, so would you..

• Like 1

Stupid insight. A Mercedes or any expensive car is a lifestyle statement of success not a vehicle to move from point A to point B. The traffic and scooter analogy is totally incorrect .

Impossible is a human invention

it's not true man, trust me i have a 30 year old Mercedes because they are completely awesome, long lasting, well built safe cars... they are well selling good cars period, if your out and about you migh love to know the best engneriing is inside ofyour suspension and the like.. on the other hand ever have a friend that bought and broke down in a kia or ford taurus, or crashed in a honda civic ?

you buy good things because they last longer and do their job better, they cost more and some people are deulusional enough to wonder why people just dont go for the cheap option.

i will ask you why you don't drink the tap water and chooose a cheaper place to fly to like mexico

• Like 1

No big deal. I spend a lot of my time in Singapore and Mercedes are a dime a dozen. Even many of the taxis are Mercedes. The traffic in Singapore is not much better than in Bangkok, but at least in Thailand you have a 'hinterland' where you can go on weekends and open it up a bit. No such thing in Singapore. And to make matters worse, high end cars are much more expensive in Singapore because of a special government tax on vehicles (a Honda Civic will put you back over US$100,000). Yet every day in Singapore you will see people driving around in Porsches, Lamborghinis, etc etc (people who wouldn't be caught dead in a Mercedes). It's part of Chinese in Singapore here... showing off your wealth and success. Perhaps the Sino-Thais of Bangkok are no different...

Traffic in Singapore is significantly better than in Bangkok - and people can actually drive which makes a refreshing break.

That's not my experience of living Singapore. Traffic's better, but not a whole lot. That said, I avoid Bangkok as much as I can. The other thing to keep in mind is that there are functional road cameras along all of Singapore's highways (90kph limit) so even if traffic is light, there's not much you can do. Back in Canada, if you were on the 401, doing 120 would put you in the slow lane.

Are you saying they don't have speed limits in Canada? Sure, it's not as low as 90km/h but 120 being slow sounds a bit far fetched to me.

No big deal. I spend a lot of my time in Singapore and Mercedes are a dime a dozen. Even many of the taxis are Mercedes. The traffic in Singapore is not much better than in Bangkok, but at least in Thailand you have a 'hinterland' where you can go on weekends and open it up a bit. No such thing in Singapore. And to make matters worse, high end cars are much more expensive in Singapore because of a special government tax on vehicles (a Honda Civic will put you back over US$100,000). Yet every day in Singapore you will see people driving around in Porsches, Lamborghinis, etc etc (people who wouldn't be caught dead in a Mercedes). It's part of Chinese in Singapore here... showing off your wealth and success. Perhaps the Sino-Thais of Bangkok are no different...

Traffic in Singapore is significantly better than in Bangkok - and people can actually drive which makes a refreshing break.

That's not my experience of living Singapore. Traffic's better, but not a whole lot. That said, I avoid Bangkok as much as I can. The other thing to keep in mind is that there are functional road cameras along all of Singapore's highways (90kph limit) so even if traffic is light, there's not much you can do. Back in Canada, if you were on the 401, doing 120 would put you in the slow lane.

Are you saying they don't have speed limits in Canada? Sure, it's not as low as 90km/h but 120 being slow sounds a bit far fetched to me.

"Although the speed limit is 100 km/h on most divided highways in Ontario, Klimek said in reality the average speed is already about 120 km/h." http://www.thewhig.com/2012/06/05/calling-for-higher-speed-limits

... average speed is 120 means that 40%+ cars are going faster than you. They will be in the fast lanes. You better stay out of their way.

• 3 weeks later...