Thai banks say why they reject rice loan auction

webfact

It comes from good old Forbes, not from Sondhi.

"Controversial former prime minister lives in Dubai as a fugitive from Thailand to avoid corruption charges. His influence over sister Yingluck, Thailand's current prime minister, whom he nominated for the position, is said to be waning. Ousted in 2006 coup, Shinawatra disclosed to FORBES in October that Thai authorities had returned to him close to $1 billion of his $2.3 billion in frozen assets".

http://www.forbes.com/profile/thaksin-shinawatra/

Now that's the right way to reply! Details and no vitriol. Thank you.

Unfortunately those details have been interpreted wrongly and to be perfectly honest that quote is from the original statement from Thaksin which was reported by AFP and then picked up by the BBC, The Guardian, The Economist and seemingly, Forbes. See post #60.

Fab4. You're so funny. To do so many posts about a sarcastic joke (albeit one with truths)

People were just replying to your assertion that it was a lie. It wasn't money was indeed returned to Thaksin.... get a sense of humor!

PS: can't find a reference to WHEN he got his money back... His party spokesperson was saying that the amnesty was not for Thaksin to get his 46 billion back ... discrepancy!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"He suggested that the caretaker government solve the problem for rice farmers through short term solutions during the period where the prices of produce are lower than expected. He also said both the Pheu Thai Party’s rice pledging scheme and Democrat Party’s price guarantee scheme should be scrapped because they were proved to be failed policies"

Look at the bold type there. this proves it is not just ONE party's fault.

In the mean time we're discussion the Pheu Thai led government's disastrous scheme which manages to spent and spent and spent till 660 billion is not enough and 130 billion more is needed.

BTW caretaker Commerce Minister Niwatthumrong Boonsongpaisan said the government managed to sell 1 million tonnes of rice from its total stockpile of 10 million tonnes in January, where's the money?

"But we had to send Thaksin 30,000,000,000 baht,"

You've mentioned this a couple of times now and I couldn't think where this ridiculous lie came from, and then it clicked. It's so obviously anti Thaksin, where else could it come from, good ol' sondhi's antithaksin.com

You do know the rules on this forum about not posting "any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law"

You might want to consider that and certainly think of a more reliable source for your posts.............................

"Controversial former prime minister lives in Dubai as a fugitive from Thailand to avoid corruption charges. His influence over sister Yingluck, Thailand's current prime minister, whom he nominated for the position, is said to be waning. Ousted in 2006 coup, Shinawatra disclosed to FORBES in October that Thai authorities had returned to him close to $1 billion of his $2.3 billion in frozen assets".

As usual, never a "thank you for enlightening me ... sorry, you're right, I'm wrong" from fabbie; he just throws in his incorrect ten cents worth and then runs off to another topic to post more nonsense...!

You haven't enlightened me. As usual, you have posted without thinking or any kind of research or comprehension.

So, george0,mosha,dru2,skywalker69 and the the 2 others, (you know who you are) try reading post #60

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/701175-thai-banks-say-why-they-reject-rice-loan-auction/page-3#entry7382272

Any time you want to apologise for flaming is fine by me.

Flamed you where?

• Like 1

Unfortunately those details have been interpreted wrongly and to be perfectly honest that quote is from the original statement from Thaksin which was reported by AFP and then picked up by the BBC, The Guardian, The Economist and seemingly, Forbes. See post #60.

Fab4. You're so funny. To do so many posts about a sarcastic joke (albeit one with truths)

People were just replying to your assertion that it was a lie. It wasn't money was indeed returned to Thaksin.... get a sense of humor!

PS: can't find a reference to WHEN he got his money back... His party spokesperson was saying that the amnesty was not for Thaksin to get his 46 billion back ... discrepancy!

I'm sorry, I don't like being called a liar without very good reason, something siampolee has alluded to before but doesn't follow up with facts.

Now if you read my post #60 you'll see that ramrod did make a reference to when Thaksin got his money back by linking the fact that the Yingluck government couldn't pay the farmers because they had paid Thaksin back the 30 billion dollars. By definition this implies that this can only have happened during the duration of the Yingluck government.

You see, this is where a good knowledge of English Language comprehension comes in handy.

Edited by fab4

I'm sorry, I don't like being called a liar without very good reason, something siampolee has alluded to before but doesn't follow up with facts.

Now if you read my post #60 you'll see that ramrod did make a reference to when Thaksin got his money back by linking the fact that the Yingluck government couldn't pay the farmers because they had paid Thaksin back the 30 billion dollars. By definition this implies that this can only have happened during the duration of the Yingluck government.

You see, this is where a good knowledge of English Language comprehension comes in handy.

If you go back and read Forbes you will see that Thaksin's fortune 2013 grow from 600 miljon USD to 1,7 biljon USD.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

fab4 post # 67.

Splendid comment fab 4 but indeed far fromthe truth. Just highlight and quote any post in which I used the word liar in reference to you.

You indeed do have a somewhat vivid imagination and you do seem to get trifle carried away with your self professed superiority and self importance too.

However your future is assured should you ever wish to tread the boards as a comedian in vaudeville based upon the humorous content of your posts.

• Like 1

So when DID he get the money back?

" Shinawatra disclosed to FORBES in October that Thai authorities had returned to him close to $1 billion of his $2.3 billion in frozen assets."

Explanation please!

Edited by casualbiker

As I sit here and read these stores, forgive me for likening it to the Labor party just ousted in the last election in Australia. They ramped up a debt of over $600billion zfter starting with about $80 surplus some 6 years ago. I am wondering that perhaps they sought the advice of Thaksin. Miss Thaksin and her team of bunglers.

Perhaps someone can confirm or refute a story related to me the other day, Thai Finance Minister went to World Bank with hand out for loans, was told that they had to get their revenue in order first by 1. raising VAT (or whatever they call it), 2. Abolishing rice buying scheme.

When interviewed said Finance Minister (term is used loosely) stated that they did not know what they were talking about and did not understand Thailand?????

Good answer dude!

same in the UK the conservatives have put us over £900 bil in debt

So in summary the caretaker government headed by Yingluck are trying to do something illegal (no surprises) and the banks are hesitant to participate in illegal activity.

Where are the police to arrest Yingluck? Ahhhh. Silly question.

Your ability to misunderstand is quite stunning.

Well done.

Simple fix. Devalue the Thai baht by 20% and dump all the rice on the market. Vietnam and India can't handle that kind of competition and soon the money will be flowing into the country from sales of all the rice that is supposed to be stored in the warehouses around the country. Two problems might be that the rice that is supposed to be stored is far less than the government has said (fat rats abound near the warehouses- both the two and four legged varieties) and the eventual effect of a sudden depreciation of the currency will have marked impact on the economy.

By the time the shit hits the fan, Yingluck will be long gone and Thaksin will be back in power with his cronies and they can paper the whole thing over. Short term benefit will be to the ex-pats who will bring foreign currency into the country and buy the baht making up for the beating many took last year on the exchange rate.

id like that scenario but cant see it ever happening.

Now that's the right way to reply! Details and no vitriol. Thank you.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/thaksins-confiscated-cash-goes-to-thai-national-debt-repayments/article421270.ece

"He suggested that the caretaker government solve the problem for rice farmers through short term solutions during the period where the prices of produce are lower than expected. He also said both the Pheu Thai Partys rice pledging scheme and Democrat Partys price guarantee scheme should be scrapped because they were proved to be failed policies"

Look at the bold type there. this proves it is not just ONE party's fault.

Nope. The current catastrophic rice policy is down to PT alone.

• Like 2

If you go back and read Forbes you will see that Thaksin's fortune 2013 grow from 600 miljon USD to 1,7 biljon USD.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, so what's your point?

fab4 post # 67.

Splendid comment fab 4 but indeed far fromthe truth. Just highlight and quote any post in which I used the word liar in reference to you.

You indeed do have a somewhat vivid imagination and you do seem to get trifle carried away with your self professed superiority and self importance too.

However your future is assured should you ever wish to tread the boards as a comedian in vaudeville based upon the humorous content of your posts.

You do understand the word "allude" don't you? From Webster; to make indirect reference - synonyms: imply, insinuate, infer

So I did not say you used the word liar in your posts, you just make indirect reference to me being a liar and then try and be disingenuous about it afterwards.

After my posting this

"You do know the rules on this forum about not posting "any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law"

You replied:

"Coming from you with your expertise those comments caused me to spill my coffee due to the humour that you introduced to the thread"

and then followed up with this in another post:

"Just to help fab4 understand the truth and not his flights of fancy I have posted the start of the article and the link so as fab4 is both reassured and educated as to the truth of the matter"

Could you suggest any other way for me to read your comments other than to deduce you were alluding to me being a liar i.e not telling the truth?

So when DID he get the money back?

" Shinawatra disclosed to FORBES in October that Thai authorities had returned to him close to $1 billion of his $2.3 billion in frozen assets."

Explanation please!

tuzki-bunny-emoticon-023.gifI gave you two links in my post #60!

Here they are again:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/feb/26/thaksin-shinawatra-abuse-power-ruling

http://www.economist.com/node/18775121

Hint: the clue is in the date of the first article and the last two paragraphs of the second article, but you do have to read them....................

fab4 post # 80

Could you suggest any other way for me to read your comments other than to deduce you were alluding to me being a liar i.e not telling the truth?

I like others here fab4 do not have any interest in how your mind(s) works, if you feel that you are being maligned perhaps you should look at the comments you make. perhaps your self esteem is at a low ebb thus you see comments in a different light to others.

It seems as if you want one rule for yourself and one rule for others who dare to disagree with you and therefore ignore your profound self importance on all matters.

Perhaps in a previous incarnation you were an Oracle at the Temple of Delphi, hence your self importance ?

fab4 post # 80

I like others here fab4 do not have any interest in how your mind(s) works, if you feel that you are being maligned perhaps you should look at the comments you make. perhaps your self esteem is at a low ebb thus you see comments in a different light to others.

It seems as if you want one rule for yourself and one rule for others who dare to disagree with you and therefore ignore your profound self importance on all matters.

Perhaps in a previous incarnation you were an Oracle at the Temple of Delphi, hence your self importance ?

I wasn't asking you to be interested in how my mind works , I just don't like being called a liar either directly or by inference.

And don't alter my posts.

30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

Thats one rule for ALL of us, or do the rules not apply to you?

Delusional behavior pattern fab 4.

Your post was not altered, modified whatever you may say or think in your minds. I quoted the one line you wrote The bottom line post # 80.

I and many others too presume you wrote it anyway.

If you don't like the responses that you receive as a reaction to your posts perhaps you might be well advised to not read others posts that disagree with your stance upon matters.

Clearly you have a sensitive nature and as such a creative artistic mind therefore any critical comments that go against your views tend to be an emotional upset to you, hence the advice proffered above in order to hopefully minimize the impact of the emotional injury that you claim to suffer.

The issue is now closed now as far as I am concerned.

What a sad state (pun intended) when the government doesn't have the money to pay its own bills.

If I was thinking in an underhand way, I'd wonder if the banks run by Bangkok business people were trying to sabotage the red shirt election voters.

No they have a legal obligation to protect their clients money.

I think they would be more concerned about their shareholders than their clients.

Well if their customers withdraw their funds then share value is likely to fall substantially or more likely even collapse totally.

So step by step: take care of depositors to protect share value.