Protesters seize ballots in Thailand's South

webfact

Protesters seize ballots in Thailand's South
By Digital Content

1391226816591.jpg

SONGKHLA, Feb 1 – Anti-government protesters in five southern provinces have continued blockading Hat Yai postal centre to prevent postal workers from delivering ballots to polling stations in nearby provinces.

Hat Yai postal centre is responsible for supplying ballots to the five southernmost provinces of Songkhla, Satun, Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat.

Preecha Sukkasem, core leader of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) in Songkhla, officially declared the protesters’ insistence to seal off the postal centre, despite negotiations with Election Commission (EC) officials from Narathiwat.

He said PDRC supporters in five southern provinces were holding a peaceful demonstration, and not disrupting the elections.

He said the elections will pave the way for the present government to return to power and escalate conflicts in the country.

In Ranong province, over 100 PDRC supporters set up tents and a stage in front of Ranong police station to prevent police from moving ballot boxes from the storage room to be delivered to EC officials in five districts.

A similar incident was reported in Prachuab Kiri Khan where more than 1,000 protesters and rubber farmers blockaded Bang Saphan police station, where boxes and ballots for three constituencies were kept.

In Chumphon, the EC’s storeroom in Ban Nong Muk School was forced opened, and ballot boxes and election equipment were stolen and thrown into a canal in Thung Kha sub-district.

Police said the boxes and equipment were to be delivered to 720 polling stations in three districts.

In Nakhon Si Thammarat, PDRC supporters rallied in front of the 42nd Border Patrol Police Commander in Thung Song district after they were informed that border patrol policemen would be assigned to deliver ballots to four provinces: Nakhon Si Thammarat, Trang, Pattalung and Krabi.

The Thung Song postal centre was also sealed off by protesters, resulting in traffic congestion in nearby areas. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-02-01

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much for legitimacy of this election. As many had predicted, just a big waste of money. They should have used it to pay some of the rice farmers instead!

So it is acceptable to stop people from doing what the law says they can do? Right. Do you vote? I hope not. The King authorized this election. Now to me that makes it legit.

• Like 2

I bet all the red shirts wish they were are smart and educated as this mob whistling.gifclap2.gif

Truth is they dont need Thaskin to play underhand to undermine their cause, they do that all by themselves

I suppose you live in the yellow sitrs area? And I guess you have never been to the north or the northeast of Thailand. Because if you had you would not be saying that as you would have learned different. The protests are ignorant and doing the bidding of a mad man.

• Like 2

Dont thai to me.

Preecha Sukkasem, core leader of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) in Songkhla, officially declared the protesters’ insistence to seal off the postal centre, despite negotiations with Election Commission (EC) officials from Narathiwat.

He said PDRC supporters in five southern provinces were holding a peaceful demonstration, and not disrupting the elections.

The Hippocratic attitude of these people saying one thing but doing the very opposite in actions and lying when they open their mouths make me sick............. bah.gif

• Like 2

I bet all the red shirts wish they were are smart and educated as this mob whistling.gifclap2.gif

Truth is they dont need Thaskin to play underhand to undermine their cause, they do that all by themselves

I suppose you live in the yellow sitrs area? And I guess you have never been to the north or the northeast of Thailand. Because if you had you would not be saying that as you would have learned different. The protests are ignorant and doing the bidding of a mad man.

I think he was being sarcastic

• Like 2

this Suthep lunatic is nothing more than a lying piece of <deleted>. How can they let this happen?? where is the Law in this stupid country?

What Law

I thought this was one of the reasons the protestors are on the street

if you not want things to chage are you really saying the reason you left your own country was to many laws

so you want Thailand to have no lwas so you can be happy

Edited by tezzainoz
  • Like 1

So much for legitimacy of this election. As many had predicted, just a big waste of money. They should have used it to pay some of the rice farmers instead!

So it is acceptable to stop people from doing what the law says they can do? Right. Do you vote? I hope not. The King authorized this election. Now to me that makes it legit.

Come into the present day

all legal document are these day rubber stamped

stop using the name of the King to make an argument this is against TV Rules

Edited by tezzainoz

Again this is 2014 you still living in the past to make you self importance

Yellow shirts as a party where disbanded years ago

Tourists are the once who wear yellow shirts in respect of our beloved King, are you saying its their fault

These are Thai people protesting again all the corruption you Pr Government backers want to keep in Thailand

Edited by tezzainoz

Dont thai to me.

Preecha Sukkasem, core leader of the Peoples Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) in Songkhla, officially declared the protesters insistence to seal off the postal centre, despite negotiations with Election Commission (EC) officials from Narathiwat.

The Hippocratic attitude of these people saying one thing but doing the very opposite in actions and lying when they open their mouths make me sick............. bah.gif

I agree with you 100%

we are talking about the Government are we not

Edited by tezzainoz

i think if you lived in the north and north east of Thailand you would have been told different

you would not have been asked or maybe you would have learned but only at the point of a gun

if you don't believe me, hang a democrat support poster in your window

see how long it takes for a red to come round and tell you to take it down or suffer the consequences

Red democracy in the provinces, red or dead

• Like 1

Kurt, you are talking nonsense again. This election is a mandated one by the constitution and aknowledged by the head of state.

The only concern about legitimacy would be the actions of the "peacefull" protestors trying to disrupt them, which indeed isn't legitimate.

I understand you like councils and have no interest in democracy whatsoever. As I told you before, Birma would be much better suited for the likes of you, who are guests in this country and refuse to aknowledge and follow rhe laws of your host country.

• Like 1

Kurt, you are talking nonsense again. This election is a mandated one by the constitution and aknowledged by the head of state.

The only concern about legitimacy would be the actions of the "peacefull" protestors trying to disrupt them, which indeed isn't legitimate.

I understand you like councils and have no interest in democracy whatsoever. As I told you before, Birma would be much better suited for the likes of you, who are guests in this country and refuse to aknowledge and follow rhe laws of your host country.

When you see Thailand have a true democracy you will see many protestors out there cheering

this corrupt government are far from being democratic

When you see Thailand have a true democracy you will see many protestors out there cheering

But that's the whole point, Thailand is a democracy. The very same people welcomed the tanks in BKK when the militairy staged a coup in 2006, the irony is that the constitution was drafted by the same militairy and amended by Suthep's "democratic" party.

They are effectively complaining about a constitution they themselves have drafted. And then to think they claim many voters in Thailand are "uneducated". Classic !

• Like 1

Unfortunately (for Kurt and his like) Burma is moving towards democracy!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Again this is 2014 you still living in the past to make you self importance

Yellow shirts as a party where disbanded years ago

Tourists are the once who wear yellow shirts in respect of our beloved King, are you saying its their fault

These are Thai people protesting again all the corruption you Pr Government backers want to keep in Thailand

Tezza ol' mate,

Take it easy on that medicine you are taking. Your thoughts and words are getting more disjointed and confused by the day.

First, you are not sure if you are Thai or Aussie. Now you make reference to me living in the past based on my post that I think tullynagardy was being sarcastic?

Taken from Back to the Future - hello, is anybody home??

True Democracy comes from voting, not from blocking elections and intimidating and threatening people who want to vote. If you don't want to vote, then don't vote, but don't prevent others who want to vote from doing so. Democracy is also about respecting other people's rights who may not agree with you. If you do not respect other people's rights, how can you ever achieve Democracy? Democracy built on forced ideology is not Democracy, no matter if you call yourself Democratic Reform or Democrat Party. It's not the name but the actions that matter and the actions of Suthep are clearly not Democratic.

This just adds to the negative press Thailand is getting in the outside world. I wonder if Khun Suthep has ever read Lewis Carroll.

When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.'

Obviously Humpty Dumpy has been assured that he will not fall - but who knows?

Edited by citizen33
  • Like 1

But that's the whole point, Thailand is a democracy. The very same people welcomed the tanks in BKK when the militairy staged a coup in 2006, the irony is that the constitution was drafted by the same militairy and amended by Suthep's "democratic" party.

They are effectively complaining about a constitution they themselves have drafted. And then to think they claim many voters in Thailand are "uneducated". Classic !

You missed the fact that the Thai people voted on this constitution change and got the majority of votes

now you must admit that is democratic

If the constitution laws are democratic, then why does the Democrat party, who signed them, not accept them?

They made the rules themselves, but now refuse to play by them and ask them to be changed again.

Let's remember for a moment here that the current election is happening under laws that Abhisit and Suthep signed.

They were NOT signed and approved by Yingluck.

True Democracy comes from voting, not from blocking elections and intimidating and threatening people who want to vote. If you don't want to vote, then don't vote, but don't prevent others who want to vote from doing so. Democracy is also about respecting other people's rights who may not agree with you. If you do not respect other people's rights, how can you ever achieve Democracy? Democracy built on forced ideology is not Democracy, no matter if you call yourself Democratic Reform or Democrat Party. It's not the name but the actions that matter and the actions of Suthep are clearly not Democratic.

I think you need to wake up, and realise this is Thailand not the country you left because you where sick of to many laws

Now you want to turn Thailand in to the country you left, is that not being a hypocrite

Protesting is accepted and legal in Thailand

part of there culture

I not have to tell you what you can do if your not happy living here

there are many falang who have been living here for ages

and we are like willow trees and bend with the wind

I think you need to wake up, and realise this is Thailand not the country you left because you where sick of to many laws

Now you want to turn Thailand in to the country you left, is that not being a hypocrite

Protesting is accepted and legal in Thailand

part of there culture

I not have to tell you what you can do if your not happy living here

there are many falang who have been living here for ages

and we are like willow trees and bend with the wind

What are you talking about? I am not the one that called for Democracy. I do not want to turn your country, who is stuck in the 15th century, into a Democracy. Read your own posts again. You yourself said people are on the streets calling for Democracy.

Don't call for Democracy if you don't want it. Democracy was not invented in Thailand and you don't get to dictate how Democracy works.

You said it, not me.

• Like 2