Flying a drone in Thailand

Hi there

I follow the prominent Thailand based blogger Richard Barrow on Facebook. He has recently been posting some pictures he has taken using a drone - shown on his thailandfromabove.com website.

I think these pictures are great and that a drone would be good fun.

However, I do have a few questions regarding the flying of a drone in Thailand.

Does anyone know if you need any kind of license or permit to fly one?

And are there any restrictions to flying one in Thailand.

Does anyone have experience in flying a drone in Thailand, does anyone own one?

Hey, if Richard Barrow is reading this you might be able to help!!!

Any info much appreciated.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought a "drone" was a military item, whereas a remote controlled helicopter or airplane with a camera attached to it was an entirely different thing, mainly due to operating range, size and weight, therefore fuel to be used.

One being operated remotely within say 500 metres, the other capable of being controlled from another country !

Edited by CharlieH

The second one looks like the temple at Songkla ?

The second one is in Samut Prakarn, Wat Phra Samut Chedi

https://www.google.co.th/maps/preview/@13.5982253,100.5864199,979m/data=!3m1!1e3

correct.

last one is Giant Buddha at Wat Muang in Ang Thong

psst dont tell anybody i cheated http://www.thailandfromabove.com/wat-muang/#more-28

satellite images look out of date http://goo.gl/maps/xJHWs

streetview is more upto date http://goo.gl/maps/hQQwK

Edited by lunar horse

I'm not so sure that the thing you're describing here is a drone since there are typically three different types of quadcopter in the RC community.

• A normal quadcopter radio controlled with the pilot watching the vehicle from the ground. This is cheap to get into.
  • "FPV" First Person View where the pilot wears a video headset. A typical FPV setup can cost $1000+
  • "drone" there is no pilot, the craft is controlled via computer. These are typically custom build costing a lot of money.

I'm assuming the guy posting these photos is using a quadcopter with a camera attached to it and flying it from the ground without any special equipment.

Depending upon what type you're talking about there are most likely going to be slightly different laws as there are in the US. I've previously tried looking into the subject however, I haven't found anything concrete as to actual laws on the subject.

I'm assuming that the laws regarding FPV RC are similar to those of the US. Under 500 feet, not near airports, must have line of sight at all times of the drone, etc. Basically the same laws as normal RC.

As from specific laws for drones in the US most of the community interprets that they are legal as long as the drone is being controlled from the base station with commands being sent to the craft and that the craft can manually be piloted at any time. Drones must also be piloted by experienced RC pilots, which means it's not something you start out on, you must have to have the ability to take over control of the craft in the event of a technical failure. All the other RC laws previously also apply.

RC can actually be quite dangerous and the community typically frowns upon people using any type of RC around people. Even though they look small having a 1-3 kilogram quadcopter fall on you can be fatal and the blades in even the smaller ones can damage. It also tarnishes the whole community which are constantly worried about their hobby being regulated out due to irresponsible people.

From what I have looked into most people fly their RC crafts at private airfields at specific times and days in Bangkok for the reasons previously stated.

I'd suggest however you should get a small micro copter to begin with since you need to get the basics down on flying the thing, and they can be flown indoors which is nice when starting (no wind). They can be extremely difficult to fly if you've never flown one before, and theres no point spending lots of money on an expensive RC with camera mounting if you're just going to crash it into the ground.

You can buy RC stuff from param 9 fortune town. There is a small shop on the basement floor i believe. They'll be able to set you up with something, but just a warning I don't think they speak english there.

Edited by andrewfenn

I'd suggest however you should get a small micro copter to begin with since you need to get the basics down on flying the thing, and they can be flown indoors which is nice when starting (no wind).

Another option is a simulator. These use an actual R/C radio that connects to your PC via USB that you will need anyway for when you get a multi-copter. Allows you to get a feel for it and practice and whether you want to go further into the hobby. A popular one Phoenix-Sim and one I've been considering getting.

While there are no formal regulations in Thailand at the moment, if you are planning to fly a quadcopter or other UAV you should adhere to a few common sense principles. Don't fly above 400 feet AGL, only fly line of sight and have a second person available as a safety pilot, don't fly over crowds etc.

What most people refer to as drones are really only RC toys capable of capturing aerial images and videos. It only really becomes a drone when you remove the operator and it flies autonomously. I have been using both for a while now.

Sent from my GT-S5300 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Norrad

While there are no formal regulations in Thailand at the moment, if you are planning to fly a quadcopter or other UAV you should adhere to a few common sense principles. Don't fly above 400 feet AGL, only fly line of sight and have a second person available as a safety pilot, don't fly over crowds etc.

What most people refer to as drones are really only RC toys capable of capturing aerial images and videos. It only really becomes a drone when you remove the operator and it flies autonomously. I have been using both for a while now.

Sent from my GT-S5300 using Tapatalk 2

As you said, a drone is capable of autonomous flight. There is a person here in Thailand manufacturing orthocopters with autonomous capability using the open source based Arducopter software. Several retailers in Bangkok for everything from autonomous to FPV and standard RC orthos.

I think quadcopters are the rage at the moment as they have an undercarriage that fits a gopro camera.

I just ordered this upgraded unit with built-in camera (Phantom 2 Vision) and will pick it up in USA next month and bring it back to Thailand. Personal drones are getting cheaper and cheaper and you'll be seeing more and more of them in the air in the next few years ... probably to the point that they will eventually be government regulated.

The unit I'm buying can be flown via an iPhone that attaches to a long-range RC unit and you can see on the iPhone's screen what the drone's camera is capturing. You can also pre-map out a course or grid via GPS and the drone will fly it exactly without your control. And if the drone gets out of RC range or the battery is running low it will automatically fly itself back and land within a foot or two of the spot from where it took off. This is a very high-tech toy/tool for only $1,200.

BTW, these days the word "drone" is being used to describe any and all unmanned quadracopters ... including the cheaper hobby models.

Edited by HerbalEd

Here is my flight in Chiang Mai with a video camera on my electric airplane at our flying club. See

Enjoy,

Randy

looks good! can you give me the exact location of the model airplane airport in sanpatong? I would like to join!

Regards,

Hans

Edited by hansbak

I think quadcopters are the rage at the moment as they have an undercarriage that fits a gopro camera.

I just ordered this upgraded unit with built-in camera (Phantom 2 Vision) and will pick it up in USA next month and bring it back to Thailand. Personal drones are getting cheaper and cheaper and you'll be seeing more and more of them in the air in the next few years ... probably to the point that they will eventually be government regulated.

The unit I'm buying can be flown via an iPhone that attaches to a long-range RC unit and you can see on the iPhone's screen what the drone's camera is capturing. You can also pre-map out a course or grid via GPS and the drone will fly it exactly without your control. And if the drone gets out of RC range or the battery is running low it will automatically fly itself back and land within a foot or two of the spot from where it took off. This is a very high-tech toy/tool for only $1,200.

BTW, these days the word "drone" is being used to describe any and all unmanned quadracopters ... including the cheaper hobby models.

Mine is in the mail:-) If you want to have live view you need a video transmitter but with the price you quote, your's should already be included. I also included a gimbal head. Can't wait!