Differences, pros & cons of village marriage vs. legal marriage?

HerbalEd

The Topic Title says it all. I would appreciate any well-meaning input.

I have been in Thailand many years and have had scores of Thai lady friends & lovers, so I don't need warnings or chastisement about marrying a Thai woman. I'm well aware of their good and bad aspects.

Legal Marriage = Legally Binding (can only be dissolved in Court / Amphur)

Village Marriage = Not Legally Binding (can be dissolved by just saying "I Don't love you anymore")

Edit: // Added Ps

Ps:

I did the Village marriage, but only after we got legally married at the Amphur. This village marriage was of great importance to my wife.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

I assume a village marriage is of no advantage for the woman in getting a USA tourist visa. Yes/no?

I wouldn't even mention it in a visit visa application because the event is quite meaningless.

Either get married officially or forever hold your peace.

Edited by wooloomooloo

I assume a village marriage is of no advantage for the woman in getting a USA tourist visa. Yes/no?

I wouldn't even mention it in a visit visa application because the event is quite meaningless.

As I thought. Thanks.

I understand that a Thai woman being legally married to an American is not a guarantee of her receiving a visa for USA. Can any Americans here share your legally-married Thai wife's experience when applying for a USA visa?

BTW, I'm not necessarily looking to get her a residence visa or a green card, and would be happy with her getting a tourist visa and being able to visit USA once ... maybe twice ... a year.

Edited by HerbalEd

If you plan to live in Thailand and maintain contact with the wife's family, you need to do the 'village wedding'. Not a big deal and it gives you an insight into Thai ways and your wife's family.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

As I thought. Thanks.

I understand that a Thai woman being legally married to an American is not a guarantee of her receiving a visa for USA. Can any Americans here share your legally-married Thai wife's experience when applying for a USA visa?

BTW, I'm not necessarily looking to get her a residence visa or a green card, and would be happy with her getting a tourist visa and being able to visit USA once ... maybe twice ... a year.

You would be a lot better of asking the visa related question in the "visa for other countries" forum.

Or just search the forum for the relevant info, there's a heap of information there.

Plenty of info available throughout the forum on this topic.

Village wedding is all about "face", showing off and an excuse for the parents to skin you for what they can get away with under the guise of "sinsod" and the daughter to get it for them. Means absolutely nothing legally or visa wise.

Legal wedding at Amphur is just that "legal & binding". It may help to get a visa but not guaranteed as they take many other aspects into consideration such as length of relationship etc and if the relationship is in fact "real", so as with all immigration issues, usually a case by case basis.

Edited by CharlieH