A slap in the face: Thai politics

webfact

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

donkey votes do not help anyone ...it adds to the problem ....it is very clear that due to lack of a real ( i say real) opposition party , the reds will continue to rule the govt ..its a simple numbers game .... until they wake up and form a real party, with real policies to gain more followers ,more votes we just go round and round ....no govt is perfect in any country and u need opposition parties to keep the ruling party in order( on behalf of the people) what is more dangerous than an imperfect Govt ? a Caretaker Govt !!!! Thailand is on very shaky ground imo and i fear the worst for this great country ....

This opinion piece makes more sense than most in the Thai press. Thais just don't seem to get it. Most of their programs and policies are inept, but even in the rare case when they get one that benefits the Thai people it falls flat over time. What the Thai press don't seem to get is that it's not about policies and programs at this stage, but rather "enforcing and managing law" rather than always shooting themselves in the foot in order to sabotage something they didn't initially sponsor.

And hopefully, this elected government will learn that national interest must come first and that they should not repeat the previous government's mistakes. Only then can it complete a four-year term and Thai nationals can feel proud of their government.

We can all hope, but putting the national interest first means saying no to corruption. I'm not optimistic, can you imagine Chalerm turning down another Bentley?

somewhere between silly and naive...no one will take notice of no votes.

Agree or disagree with Suthep but if you want political reforms Suthep is the only one who might do it. With no votes there won't be reforms in the next 100 years...

Here here for once a piece of reason coming from The Nation..

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, totally agree that both sides are not worth voting for. However, the writer does not offer a way out.... If everyone keeps on using the "No Vote". There will never be a government.

Very easy to say everything that is quoted in this article, but not so easy to offer a solution that people will accept.

Good to see somebody exercising their right to vote but unfortunately, if a government is formed from this mess, it will most likely pay absolutely no notice to what created the mess and continue to implement policy to line their own pockets while giving the Thai people a sugar coated, gold plated, bird.

Along with many of the international press who had decided what Thailand should be, before there ever was an election.

Fortunately, not all the checks and balances could be eroded and there still is several corruption charges pending.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

If you voted yesterday you voted for Thaksin.

Hope you are happy with him and what he does when he returns to claim his stake.

Or you "no" voted against him.

Some people who voted voted for other parties too - I don't know their names, but one has Chuwit as the head.

An resume of the current situation that YL is facing, on CNN iReport

LOST LEGITIMACY, PIGHEADED, UNABLE TO MAINTAIN AUTHORITY

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1080553

The caretaker government of Yingluck Shinawatra has entirely lost its legitimacy to govern the country. It has seriously violated the law and the Constitution. It has caused damages but would not take any responsibility.

1) Although Yingluck is from election, once she gets to form a government to govern the country, she brakes the rules, has malice against the nation, violates the rule of law, transgresses Constitution provisions of the Kingdom of Thailand, corrupts, embezzles, misbehaves, and betrays public trust. All of those have rendered her illegitimate to remain in state power.

Election is not a permit for anyone to defraud people or violate the law and the Constitution.

.../... http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1080553

Edited by MGP
  • Like 1

just a waste of time and money...keep on voting for corruption you fools:whistling:

It was not all a waste of money and time, it will help see how the people feel

This was not an election

But a chance for the people to decide do they want

1) Taksin in for a dictatorship, as there was only 1 major party to vote for

2) A chance for a better Thailand by getting rid of ALL the corrupt politicians FROM both sides

As we have idea which one will get the most response, so we need to wait

Wife was told by a friend whose sister was working in a polling booth counters where amazed how many blank voting forms where put into the boxes.

Just maybe you can fool some Thai's some of the time

But I will be happy when you can not fool All the Thai people all of the time

Except if your the one we are counting on to get Thailand moving

and you can not even put your vote into the right box

We all understand Big brother was not there to tell her what to do

Aaaaahhh...so much time has passed, since we heard of the well- being of your wife!

By the way: you missed to make clear, that she is your Thai- wife...we might have forgotten!

Apart from that: you are a fool!

You are complaining that only 1 major-party was to vote?

1) So? There were plenty of other choices!

2) The "other" major party decided all by themselves to opt out! You really want to blame this on the people who exercised their right and duty to vote?

You are laughable and a troll!

Really, really sad!

• Like 1

It doesn't matter who people voted for - they turned out in their millions to peacefully make their democratic contribution. Likewise amongst all the political parties who stayed within the law there are no real winners or losers. They all joined together to peacefully defeat the absurd Suthep and his PAD, PDRC, PDRK - or whatever acronym the current Establishment rent-a mob is calling themselves. The battle was for democracy and it was won.

By far the biggest losers yesterday were the DP. and those who chose to try and deny people their constitutional rights. And it's actually quite amusing to see the convoluted back-pedalling going on this morning amongst the erstwhile supporters of these clowns.

• Like 2

Good to see somebody exercising their right to vote but unfortunately, if a government is formed from this mess, it will most likely pay absolutely no notice to what created the mess and continue to implement policy to line their own pockets while giving the Thai people a sugar coated, gold plated, bird.

The principal opposition party gave two fingers to the Thai people, like the writer of this piece, and showed utter contempt for the democratic process. As a result, the people were left with only one realistic choice for a government. What the Democrat party need to do now is to rejoin democracy and start campaigning to win seats in the next election, whenever it's held. That's not going to be easy for a party that shows it prefers coup to vote, but they have to start.

The first thing they could do is to expel Abhisit and Suthep, both wanted for murder and inextricably linked to the attempted coup.

I see you are now Judge and jury here in Thailand

and your job in the west before you came here was ??????

This may come as a shock to you

but under the law in Thailand you are not guilty until a court of the land finds you guilty

I would love to hear your reasons why the governmemt who take orders from a Convicted Criminal are the best choice

What a Topsy Turvey world we live in

Edited by tezzainoz
  • Like 1

This is a very critical...precarious...time in Thai politics...and young democracy...

There appears to be no real governing body...no definitive leadership...a ship without a rudder...

If there is no one with the power to make the tough decisions to break the political stalemate...conditions are ripe for anarchy, civil war, total disruption of commerce...and the prospect of border countries taking the opportunity to test a weakened Thai resolve...

Has anyone ever seen the results of cutting a chickens head off...it flounders around...going in first one direction then the other...blood letting...until it dies...

I am afraid that if a responsible government is not formed soon...Thailand will become a headless chicken...

• Like 1