Open gift

Somsrisonphimai

Valentine is just around the corner, and I am sure some of you are thinking about valentine gift, giving and receiving. In Thailand, it is not common for a receiver to open a gift in front of a giver. What about in your country? Do you open a gift in front of the giver who is Thai, if so, what type of reaction do you receive?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I was always taught that "not" to open the gift in front of the giver was considered rude.

But here in Thailand I observe they never open it, probably to do with "face" again, not wanting to show they dont like it etc and cause the giver to lose face, but thats just a guess.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 2

I was always taught that "not" to open the gift in front of the giver was considered rude.

But here in Thailand I observe they never open it.

It's almost feel like they put me on the spot when they open the present in front of me. What if they don't like my present? I prefer them not open it in front of me. Unless I am the present (:

• Like 1

It's almost feel like they put me on the spot when they open the present in front of me. What if they don't like my present? I prefer them not open it in front of me. Unless I am the present (:

You are the present ? Does that mean someone else is dumb enough to give you away ?

You are the present ? Does that mean someone else is dumb enough to give you away ?

I was once wrapped myself as a present.

• Like 1

Every Thai I know that gives me gifts always tells me to open them. Usually family members will open gifts in front of each other. It is usually when there are other people there not just the gift giver. For friends and social acquaintances gifts are usually not opened. However just ask can I open now.

• Like 1

Don't think my wife has cultural problems as that.

She opens the gift, before I even give it to her.....if she happens to find it.

Like most traditional customs in Thailand, this too has been changed from generation to the next and not being seen of importance.