Locked Out Of Car? Call This Guy!

JetsetBkk

This guy saved my bacon tonight - 0896 481818.

What happened:

Parked outside Rawai Hardware.

Remote stopped working, couldn't open door using it, so used the key in the lock.

That triggered the engine disabler so couldn't start the engine using key in ignition.

Fiddled with remote and battery to no avail.

Went to get a new battery for remote, forgetting keys were in the ignition.

Pickup doors automatically locked after 20 seconds.

Totally b*ggered.

Thank you Mr. "Key Man", even if you did charge 700 baht!

New battery fixed the remote, enabled the engine, all sorted.

Tomorrow off to Chai Autosound on bypass road to rip out the engine disabler, or replace the whole system.

Good to know - but if you have a spare at home you can send the signal down your mobile. Ask the mrs to press the button next to the hand set & you are good to go

I'm going to have to try that now even though it sounds far fetched.

It will work if the person phoning you is actually standing next to you.

Otherwise there's as much chance of it working as the remote blockers which stop your car from locking whilst maintaining all the indicators that it is physically locked.

Bandwith and PRF's spring to mind.

Jerry

• Like 1

Good to know - but if you have a spare at home you can send the signal down your mobile. Ask the mrs to press the button next to the hand set & you are good to go

I can just picture a load of guys standing next to their vehicle, holding their mobiles up to it and shouting to their partners!! biggrin.png

I think the frequencies are too high for a mobile, but worth trying I guess. Normal POTS systems only guarantee 300 to 3000 Hz.

As for my spare, that's the one I'm using! The first one died about 5 years ago so this one probably hasn't got long to go. I'm treating it very carefully now while I try to get a duplicate - not available when I tried a few years ago - or get a learning programmable remote car fob.

Didnt try also, just happened to read it on one of those life hacker sites.....

If you could do that with your phone there would be a app on the market I would definitely buy it

Maybe some day you will open your car with your phone or fob.

• Like 1

Thanks JetsetBKK.

The car companies really try to screw us up.

This business of getting locked-out of the car with the key in the ignition is a total screw-up by the car companies.

You could have a kid or a dog in there while you open a gate or something.

Can this be disabled???

Tomorrow I'm getting a new system installed. But I will ask them to include a hidden switch that bypasses the engine disable function, so if the remote breaks and the engine gets disabled, I can flip the switch and get going again.

Don't know if they can do that, but it ought to be possible.