Dead Foreign Bike Rider Found on Road in Chiang Khong – Identity Unknown, Help Needed

mania

Saw this on FB Chiang Mai City News

If anyone knows the man please help

License plate is Chiang Mai 888

I did not post the pic of the body but it is a partial shot & on FB

Does not show the face

Dead Foreign Bike Rider Found on Road in Chiang Khong – Identity Unknown, Help Needed
Feb 3, 2014
Others
CityNews – Pictures have surfaced on Facebook of what seems to have been a hit and run and the resultant death of a foreign man.

The person who posted the pictures has asked the public if they know of anyone who might have been travelling in Chiang Khong, Chiang Rai District, over the last two days. The bike he was riding is thought to be a GS1200.

Chiang Mai residents and bikers groups have already spread the message, yet it’s still thought the man’s identity is unknown.

The man can be partly seen in the photograph, as can the bike. The link to the page is here, but please be aware that the photographs are very graphic.

This news is just in and as yet we don't know which police station is dealing with the accident. If you think you know the man's identity please respond to the Facebook page, or send information to CityNews.

1000962_632966450108407_427776835_n.jpg

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

It looks like he wasn't wearing a helmet, and it appears a head injury was the cause of death- RIP, fellow rider, and hopefully a few people will learn from your example and make more of an effort to protect themselves.

He was also wearing tennis shoes (which stayed on his feet) and jeans that were split from shin to hip, completely exposing his leg.

Not to turn it into a CSI deal but I find it odd they needed help with identity.

When I see a bike such as the one here I tend to think the rider is experienced.

As such I tend to think he would have a helmet & also a wallet with ID

That big BMW with touring boxes etc. suggest the rider did distance.

I do not see this type of bike/rider without helmet/wallet

I just thought it was odd.

^

Did you see the accident pics? If he'd been wearing a helmet, it would probably have been destroyed (and certainly filled with blood) based on the condition of the rider's head- I very much doubt anyone grabbed it (unless it was attached to the rear with a bungee cord or been in one of the cases and escaped major damage- I really don't think the rider was wearing it based on the photos of the injury).

I would certainly believe someone took his wallet, though.

Edited by RubberSideDown

Did you see the accident pics? If he'd been wearing a helmet, it would probably have been destroyed (and certainly filled with blood) based on the condition of the rider's head- I very much doubt anyone grabbed it (unless it was attached to the rear with a bungee cord or been in one of the cases and escaped major damage- I really don't think the rider was wearing it based on the photos of the injury).

I would certainly believe someone took his wallet, though.

Yes I saw those pics but just thought it odd given the bike type.

Mainly the wallet I was thinking but as you said could have been stolen.

But also normally at least here in the North I do not think I have ever

seen this type of rider without a helmet

All the more odd given his bike jacket, gloves etc.

RIP though & hit & run is a terrible deal.

I also feel badly for the guy, but, looking at it objectively, his footwear and pants were useless as safety gear, and his gloves weren't very good either (one came off his hand, which wouldn't have happened with gauntlets with a dual wrist-closure set-up).

I also find it strange that he wasn't wearing a helmet (if that was indeed the case), but that's how it appears- it could have been a half-helmet that was torn off in the impact, but it's not in evidence in the pics, which showed a fairly large area around the crash.

I'm not trying to be morbid or disrespectful of the rider, but the way he was geared-up and how that may have affected the outcome is an important point for motorcyclists.

• Like 1

Does anyone have the links to the Facebook page or pictures. I would like to see.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Follow the links in the OP. Here:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=235943269924674&id=100005270083538

Thanks. IMO the helmet could be anywhere. It looks like the accident took place a distance away from where he ended up. His shoes weren't boots but didn't seem like typical trainers.

I hope that the reason he doesn't have a wallet isn't that who ever hit him came back to see if he was okay and then saw that he was gone for sure and took what ever he/she could before finally fleeing the scene.

It's sad to hear of these stories. When ever your out traveling in the country you should try to ride in a group, it's understand about you can't always ride this way. Everyone keep safe on these streets.

RIP

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Thanks. IMO the helmet could be anywhere. It looks like the accident took place a distance away from where he ended up. His shoes weren't boots but didn't seem like typical trainers.

I hope that the reason he doesn't have a wallet isn't that who ever hit him came back to see if he was okay and then saw that he was gone for sure and took what ever he/she could before finally fleeing the scene.

It's sad to hear of these stories. When ever your out traveling in the country you should try to ride in a group, it's understand about you can't always ride this way. Everyone keep safe on these streets.

RIP

One possibility is open faced helmet was removed for photos

because remember they were originally posted to ask for help identifying.

But in any case yes sad affair

What you say about riding with someone is true,

I mainly ride alone & in mountain areas that are not populated.

If I went off the road it could be awhile before I got any help if needed.

Yes safe riding wishes to all

• Like 1

Sadness - RIP.

Always wear a full face, its as important as the life saver glance over ones shoulder when changing direction (not that you often see this done on Thai roads).

Condolences to his family.

• Like 1

It's a BMW and the number plate is 888. I am pretty sure it's the same bike I saw in Pattaya a few...maybe 6 months ago. The number 888 sticks in my mind.

It's sad for the guys family. RIP adventure rider guy.

RIP fellow rider....

No disrespect,but it is mind bugling how did it happened....it looks to me,and somebody mentioned that before,that he could of being hit while standing by the road...that would explain having no helmet...and only 1 glove.The bike also looks like been hit from behind...sorry,only speculation...I never have seen anybody riding a bike like this without a helmet...

• Like 1

RIP Ghostrider, such a tragedy we can't emphasize enough how dangerous is driving here even if the driver experienced there could be containers falling from sky...

Im not a thaivisa detective but i saw a very similar bike from Chiang Mai for sale recently:

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/bmw-1200-gs-adventure-259955.html

Just posting, might be a clue to help identify...

Stay safe on the roads fellow riders! wai2.gif

I think perhaps the bike was sideswiped from the right rear. If it was a head-on, I would expect to see badly bent front forks and a broken headlight.

What I see is a luggage trunk pushed forward, severe damage to the right side of the engine, damage to the back of the fairing which broke loose...

The apparent road surface may not be the road but rather where the bike landed after being knocked a significant distance.

I agree that he may have been off the bike, standing on the right side of it with a glove and helmet off. He might have parked on the left shoulder of the road, got off, and then got hit really hard. Getting off on the right side would be normal.

Just a guess. RIP

I find it hard to believe he would ride without a helmet as well (though if he wasn't wearing one, the helmet might be in the intact pannier, which could be why it's not visible in the photos)- as said before, he could also have been wearing a less-protective 3/4 helmet- it's also possible he was struck when he was off the bike- we'll probably never know for sure.

It's a sad situation regardless.

Note it's been reported he was identified and his family had been notified.