New Zealand teen jailed in Thailand

webfact

The perp was stupid to resist arrest. Otherwise, he could have settled out of court with the taxi driver (10,000 Bht to drop charges).

As it is, he probably hit some bobbies, so there could be assault charges too.

How do you know about the assault, wouldn't that have been reported if it happened anywhere but your imagination?

What would you think -resisting arrest would mean assault, if the bib wanted to press charges, not imagination or do you think the bib would not pull that one ??

Resisting arrest is not assault. Suggesting he committed assault when no-one else but tx22cb mentioned it is speculation or imagination whether you like it or not.

We always seam to get adrift in what I'm saying. I am quite aware that resisting arrest is not assault.

I used this term because the POLICE could turn it into assault because he was resisting arrest. have I now cleared things up. ??

Please look how I posted and the meaning to it.

I didn't suggest it --I said the bib could have grounds to suggest it.----get it now. please do not distort posts,

tx22cb only mentioned COULD---not WAS

Edited by ginjag

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

where does an 18-year old get the money to go on the p&%s in Thailand? When I was 18 my paper round money wouldn't buy me a bus ticket to the airport.....

He has to be 20 to buy alcohol and hangout in bars in Thailand.

Anyway I know a few 18-19 yr olds earning 55K in Australia (cops) 18 yr olds can earn good money.

We had a thief breaking into our building at night. We gave of video evidence of the CCTV system to the police. The video showed him climbing through the window on the second floor, it clearly showed his face, it showed him running out of the building. The neighbors recognized him on the video. I went to see him at his home. It was him, he said he had already spent the money on going out.

I gave the video of the thief, the name of the thief and a map of where he lives to the police.

The police did nothing at all, although he broke into many building around here. Even contacting a higher level officer had no effect at all.

The thief must have been the same age as this guy.

The justice system might be not corrupted but the police is totally corrupt on all levels.

Did you pay the police?

They are not a charity organisation like Oxfam.

Even Oxfam, you have to pay for the 2nd hand clothing.

There's literally thousands of these little creeps running around Kiwi land and Oz, most with the same crap attitude (& Facebook photo to boot) as this kid. Hopefully a short stint in a real jail will make him wake up to himself.

Little turds all round the world should realise that once they depart their little nanny states with weak judicial systems that they are fair game in other parts of the world & should behave accordingly. With a bit of luck the coming weeks the Thai system should straighten him up a tad and perhaps he will arrive back to NZ a better man for it.......in the meantime I will continue to play the worlds smallest violin for him wink.png

Aren't all the Kiwis living in Australia now?smile.png New Zealand is almost another state of Australia.

There's literally thousands of these little creeps running around Kiwi land and Oz, most with the same crap attitude (& Facebook photo to boot) as this kid. Hopefully a short stint in a real jail will make him wake up to himself.

Little turds all round the world should realise that once they depart their little nanny states with weak judicial systems that they are fair game in other parts of the world & should behave accordingly. With a bit of luck the coming weeks the Thai system should straighten him up a tad and perhaps he will arrive back to NZ a better man for it.......in the meantime I will continue to play the worlds smallest violin for him wink.png

Aren't all the Kiwis living in Australia now?smile.png New Zealand is almost another state of Australia.

I this the Kiwi call Australia "West Island".

• Like 1

Nah he will probably go back and strut around like a hero, stating to his mates "I've been in the Bangkok Hilton Bro and it was easy, ran the place, if you can do the Hilton then you're the man"

• Like 2

Get a grip. He is 18 and did a silly thing. Was probably a 600baht phone. Of course he needs to cop a penalty but no need cut off his hands of nackers. We have all made mistakes and bad choices. Cut some slack and get of your high horses

It's not a "mistake", it's a serious crime. A mobile phone has a far greater value than the purchase price to most peo

You are right. It's a taxi driver who might have many returning clients that have his phone number.

Loosing your business phone number is of far greater value than the phone itself.

BTW these days I don't see that many Thais with phones of only 600 baht... And I doubt this guy would have stolen the phone if it was only worth 600 baht, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm surprised to read that so many on here tell that they've been young and are insinuating that they did things that they consider equally bad. Hope you all turned into good people...

Even more shocking is somebody saying that the 'poor' guy was drunk so we can't blame him. If you can't get your act together when drunk than stay away from alcohol. He should get additional punishment for being drunk while commiting the crime.

I do agree that quite a few Thais seem to get away with punishments that don't reflect the seriousness of the crime, but that's the same back home where I'm from (Western Europe). I agree that should change. Even worse the biggest criminals in my country get away because they have enough money to pay the best lawyers that always seem to find a procedure mistake made by the police during the investigations, and therefore the evidence can't be used in court, even though everything proofs them guilty.

But anyway I hope Thailand will sent out the right message that this behaviour is not tolerated, not by foreigners and not by locals.

It's about time that sentences given will be closer to the maximum stated in the law. But I doubt this guy will ever end up in jail...

These incidents reflect badly on all foreigners visiting Thailand, even though it is an individual committing the crime, on a subconscious level in the Thai public mind these crimes tarnish the image of all visitors. We are honoured guests, and as guests should behave properly and maintain high personal standards regardless of how the local corruption situation may be.

Shameful.

coffee1.gif

Of course I agree that we should behave properly as guests in this country and to pay the penalty if we don't. However, this story is typical of the gross double standards applying in this country. A young, drunk, stupid foreigner nicks a phone and behaves badly....thrown in jail and left out of contact with those who are looking for him, fearing the worst. A Thai robs, bashes, scams, threatens, stabs (whatever) a foreigner and they are out on bail in Olympic split second timing ( or never charged at all) . Scandalous and disgraceful double standards in the land of scams

Which would mean to stay away from Thailand and its scams. Why didn't it happen to me in more than one decade of constantly living here? Why not?-

A farang resisting arrest, when blatantly caught.

The police will enjoy teaching him some manners, manners for people who aren't rich enough to knock them down and drag them to death in a ferrari of course.

Remember the black guy Simon in Phuket a few years getting cheeky with the immigration official, then instead of going home and back to work he spent the next 2 months in a Thai cell until he found his manners. :rofl:

He is clearly not a "farang" nor would any Thai consider him as such.

Steal a phone and being a foreigner, straight to jail. Being a spoilt brat, kill a policeman whilst high and drunk…go to Singapore for an extended holiday…TIT

They're both spoiled brats and neither will end up suffering any meaningful consequences for their behavior. Like everywhere else in the world, the wealthy and powerful almost always get a different treatment by the justice system. It happens in America and Britain and Australia and Thailand.

Many of you are reacting as if this kid was unjustly accused and forced to serve the five years already.

He traveled to a foreign country for a friend's birthday, got drunk, stole a phone and then, apparently, fought with the police. That's not a spoiled brat??

In what country in what parallel universe would he not be detained by police? Can you imagine some foreign kid in UK or US or Singapore or Saudi Arabia drunk and resisting the police? And yes, in those countries you can also find examples of local spoiled brats committing crimes and never paying for it.

Any comparison between the typical farang in Thailand and the majority of typical Thais and deducing that farangs are suffering from double standards in any meaningful way on any scale of fairness is beyond ridiculous.

"Not even owa, it fell into my hand, true as Bro"...... Nek Minuuuuuuuuute..................... This aint Orewa or Gold Coast where its a slap on tha wrist.................. Ka Kite Maori'.............

Edited by driftpig

Nah he will probably go back and strut around like a hero, stating to his mates "I've been in the Bangkok Hilton Bro and it was easy, ran the place, if you can do the Hilton then you're the man"

LOL. Yeah chooka, uve probably nailed it on the head, this would be one of those little snots that threatens and abuses you thru the closed holding cell door & when you open the door he sits down on the floor & goes magically silent.

Seriously tho, if just a hint of that attitude sneaks thru in the Thai bighouse, he's probably in for a little touch up, at least, something that's probably long overdue ;)

No doubt we will hear more about this thru the bleeding hearts of NZ etc

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more!

Honestly, not much to say here. That's what happens when you steal someone's phone and resist arrest. I don't feel sorrow or sympathy just because he was on vacation, for all I know he could have been a real douche bag who probably stole more than one phone in Kiwiland (given that he impulsively did it again while drunk even though he was ABROAD.)

• Like 1

It will be like liveing in hell for this stupid kid in a Thai jail, especially at night when his cellmates line up for their turn when he's forced to drop his pants!

Thailand is a Buddhist country. Same sex sex is not allowed or practiced.

It will be like liveing in hell for this stupid kid in a Thai jail, especially at night when his cellmates line up for their turn when he's forced to drop his pants!

Thailand is a Buddhist country. Same sex sex is not allowed or practiced.

If they were true Buddhists they wouldn't be in jail. It's deemed more serious if committed at night rather than day giggle.gif

LOL. Yeah chooka, uve probably nailed it on the head, this would be one of those little snots that threatens and abuses you thru the closed holding cell door & when you open the door he sits down on the floor & goes magically silent.

Seriously tho, if just a hint of that attitude sneaks thru in the Thai bighouse, he's probably in for a little touch up, at least, something that's probably long overdue wink.png

No doubt we will hear more about this thru the bleeding hearts of NZ etc

oh yea I have known a lot of those little snots, generally when they are in a cell with others, but we would just tell the others if one is playing up then we turn off the T.V especially during footy season or change the channel to oprah or similar and the other will keep things calm. If they are in a cell by themselves then they are generally pussies eating out of your hand.

These incidents reflect badly on all foreigners visiting Thailand, even though it is an individual committing the crime, on a subconscious level in the Thai public mind these crimes tarnish the image of all visitors. We are honoured guests, and as guests should behave properly and maintain high personal standards regardless of how the local corruption situation may be.

Shameful.

coffee1.gif

"We are honoured guests, and as guests should behave properly and maintain high personal standards regardless of how the local corruption situation may be.

Shameful."

You have got to be kidding!!

He should have said he was part of the anti government protest, and like Suthep tell them he will come in when he is not busy trying to overthrow the government, illegally occupying buildings, blocking traffic, tarnishing Thailand's image, etc.....

"theft in the night, which carries a stiffer sentence than theft during the day, Burns said." There has to be a joke about Indian guys, "massages" and buddy under bed pilfering wallet there somewhere....

Shameful.

coffee1.gif

I wouldn't say we're honoured guests, merely guests and quite possibly a nuisance and worse in most Thais eyes... I do agree we're honoured to be here, but that term usually represents someone who is very much welcomed.

By definition you are not even guest, but a visitor, there is a difference.