New Zealand teen jailed in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<deleted>. A lot of these posts talk about thieves as the lowest criminals in the food chain. How about an 18 year old who king hits someone or one that drives over 0.05. So many xxxxxxx on here giving self serving advice about this kid. What a STUID comment from chokka ..he did crime here and deserves Thai punishment. Clearly this dill has never broken any law in his younger years and now gets to pontificate about some mistakes we make . The resisting arrest was probably saying "no I not comingto police station" So many dills on this web site it never ceases to amaze.

Edited by metisdead
Insulting comment edited out.

The kid got drunk with buddies and after splitting up earlier in the evening, he hired a Pattaya motorcycle taxi to take him back to his hotel. It was only after the the motorcycle taxi got back to his rank that he noticed his phone was missing so used a friends phone to call his 'missing' mobile. A Thai girl answered and after ascertaining she was with the drunk kiwi kid in his room, the motorcycle taxi guy called the cops and they went and arrested him. I never heard about any resisting arrest but the kid was pretty f*cked up apparently and can't recall very much about the event or 24 hours after he was arrested.

Anyway, Pattaya's finest managed to get him to sign a confession (written in Thai) that the kid can't remember. He admits that it is his signature but had no recollection on the arrest or the 'confession', court appearance and immediate detention. They took him to court where the whole night crime versus day crime scenario was revealed and he was remanded to Nongplalai prison, not back at Soi 9. It was only after probably 2 or 3 days that he was eventually tracked down as neither police nor the court could state where he had been taken. The police and the court made no effort to use any of the farang volunteer police, get him any legal representation or notify his embassy despite the fact that they had his passport (in the room when arrested). They knew his name, age and nationality but didn't bother to make contact with anyone who may have been able to bail him out or assist in any way. He was fast-tracked through court within hours of the events and he wasn't allowed to try and contact anyone.

The kid is indeed half Maori and is pretty much aware how badly he has screwed up but he wasn't afforded any assistance or protections; just banged up, shunted from jail to jail without even a proper paper trail. The kiwi embassy is now very much involved and I guess that is now the reason he is locked up in Bangkok.

There's no denying he 'stole' the phone but he was totally drunk and incapable of remembering anything. Sure enough the Thai law does make a crime committed during darkness more serious than the same crime in daylight but for an 'international' city where it isn't unusual for farangs to fall foul of law enforcement due to excess alcohol or drugs, why were the cops so anxious to try and lock this kid up and apparently try and throw away the key?

That interests the kiwi authorities apparently. He may very well be a 'punk' from a broken home with more money than sense but I disagree with how the local authorities handled this

foreigner should be aware, this kind of story is over and over common, this is how the thai crooks act to extort money from tourist, they make you sign a confession and then they lock you up in nongpalai redemand prison for weeks. They will free you, when you agree to pay the money they want!

And i am pretty sure, the mobile phone was a cheap one, as i dont think taxi motorbike can afford iphone 5S. So this story is completely fishy!

Where is the picture of the taxidriver pointing at the boy with the stolen phone???

Do you remember the 7 taxi who did beat the maltese tourist with steel pipe, do you think these 7 thugs sleep at nongpalai prison??? of course no!

• Like 1

Maybe the drunken young man was mistakenly taking the taxi driver's phone.

Or did he steal it out of his pocket ?

Somehow I cannot believe he really meant to steal a phone from a taxi driver.

Don`t tell me; this is going to be another case of one big misunderstanding and miscarriage of justice.

I wonder if we should start a free the punk campaign and stand protest outside the jail in which he is held?

Anyone interested?

These incidents reflect badly on all foreigners visiting Thailand, even though it is an individual committing the crime, on a subconscious level in the Thai public mind these crimes tarnish the image of all visitors. We are honoured guests, and as guests should behave properly and maintain high personal standards regardless of how the local corruption situation may be.

Shameful.

coffee1.gif

Nah, I think Thais are smart enough to distinguish the antics of a drunk (whatever the nationality) vs normal tourists.

I wish that were the case, but that's not how stereotyping works. We are more prone to attribute negative qualities to the 'other' (whomever that might be) than to our own group. This is especially true in the case of minorities: we are more likely to associate infrequent behaviour (e.g. theft) with numerically smaller groups (the "illusory correlation"). This is exacerbated by the fact that it's mostly criminal behaviour that gets into the news... the good things that a typical westerner does in Thailand just aren't newsworthy. All this conspires to create a negative stereotype of a minority group, in this case 'farangs'. Just reflect on your first reaction to seeing a middle eastern male with a long beard, white cap, and robe and sandals in our post-911 world.

Those with high school physics and common sense dont react much to seeing middle eastern muslim men in their traditional garb in the post 911 world.

Really, I believe I have a modicum of intelligence . When I was a young man, many years ago, I would see Moslem people and think nothing, now I am extremely wary around these people. I think the main reason is the possibility of being killed. I do not feel mistrust when I walk in the streets of Thailand, I am just careful not to offend, in other words I am polite. Perhaps if the followers of the Moslem faith actually stood up and 'excommunicated' (so to speak) those that besmirched their faith I might regain a level of trust. I had a similar feeling about ALL the Irish when we were undergoing 'The Troubles' in the UK. Not now, they are not randomly killing Brits any more, the Moslems are randomly killing non-moslems tho (sometimes fellow Moslems too).

Some posts in violation of forum rules have been removed:

In using Thai Visa I agree:

1) To respect fellow members.

3) Not to post in a manner that is vulgar, obscene or profane.

4) Not to flame fellow members.Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

<deleted>. A lot of these posts talk about thieves as the lowest criminals in the food chain. How about an 18 year old who king hits someone or one that drives over 0.05. So many xxxxxxx on here giving self serving advice about this kid. What a STUID comment from chokka ..he did crime here and deserves Thai punishment. Clearly this dill has never broken any law in his younger years and now gets to pontificate about some mistakes we make . The resisting arrest was probably saying "no I not comingto police station" So many dills on this web site it never ceases to amaze.

Yes your right I have never committed a criminal offence in my life. Stealing someone else's personal possessions is not a mistake it is a criminal offence that even carries a prison term in Australia. Thieves shouldn't be rewarded they should be punished. You sound very pro criminal element and very anti law.

If respecting the law makes me a Dil as you say then that is your opinion. I have spent years cleaning thieves of the streets and seeing many locked up and will continue to do so.

Edited by chooka

I do not understand why so many of these posts are screaming for this kids blood. I am not pro crime or soft penalties. Especially for harm caused to others. I'm just saying ,get a grip, he is accused of stealing a cheap cell phone. Sounds like he signed something, probably while still half pizzed. Subsequently gets detailed in a lockup.For heavens sake this is at best petty crime. Yet read back of some of members comments. Such as "hope they throw away the key ...give him 3 years...." These are the mild ones. One from a supposedly X cop saying...cleaned scum like this off the streets for years...oh dear me! Maybe make some of you judge and jury and we can really fix up the world. Oh and forget about this kids rights. I would like to hear posts from these members if it was subsequently found out that the whole thing was a set up.

Nah your right he is just a punk so he has prob done something befor so stitch him up anyway.

• Like 2

Oh here is a much more sensible approach from the rednecks . Only 2 years in a cell. Umm theft of a $20 cell. Resisting arrest ??? That can became statement of "I'm not going to police station " . Anyway make it 5 years. That will sort him out.

Roll my eyes!!!

• Like 1

I do not understand why so many of these posts are screaming for this kids blood. I am not pro crime or soft penalties. Especially for harm caused to others. I'm just saying ,get a grip, he is accused of stealing a cheap cell phone. Sounds like he signed something, probably while still half pizzed. Subsequently gets detailed in a lockup.For heavens sake this is at best petty crime. Yet read back of some of members comments. Such as "hope they throw away the key ...give him 3 years...." These are the mild ones. One from a supposedly X cop saying...cleaned scum like this off the streets for years...oh dear me! Maybe make some of you judge and jury and we can really fix up the world. Oh and forget about this kids rights. I would like to hear posts from these members if it was subsequently found out that the whole thing was a set up.

Nah your right he is just a punk so he has prob done something befor so stitch him up anyway.

"Oh and forget about this kids rights"

What rights would they be, the right to steal without the victim complaining and the police arresting him? To be able to freely steal is not a right. The phone to you may be cheap, but was it a cheap phone to the thai? It is also one of the main tools of his trade. The kid broke the law and why should society turn a blind eye?

• Like 1

11 pages and not one poster pointing out: what the hell was the family thinking when they allowed the kid to travel to Thailand ?

Do you really think that this kid was a choir boy back in NZ and that he suddenly turned into a gansta when he got here ?

I think not and if it costs the family a fortune to get the punk out of jail that is what is commonly referred to as the cost of doing business

This kid is just the beginning of a new generation of delinquents post the NZ anti smacking laws.

In other words if they're under 18 parents cannot give them a good boot up the arse without the risk of being legally prosecuted,

I have to admit I was no angel in my day

To be fair some posters have over exaggerated the level of the crime

or maybe some have just gotten old & grumpy :-)

Same in Australia, you are not allowed to tell your children they are doing wrong. It is a restriction of their rights to make their own decisions.

Are you serious? You cant smack or tell your child off.. talk about nanny it up. blink.png

yep definitely can't smack your child as that is assault. You must talk to them and let them respond with their opinion. You can not deny them their rights to make their own decisions.

Had many kids in Melbourne as young as 10 who turn up at a police station reporting assaults by parents, slap on the arse. You take a report interview the parents who generally admit it so you charge them with unlawful assault and report the incident to human services who then take control of the child. Standard protocol and you as a cop can be charged if you don't follow this protocol.

What happened to 'lawful chastisment' or 'lawful correction' defence to Assault in Australia, chooka?

I am aware that New Zealand removed this defence back in 2007.

Irregardless, this is Thailand and young whateverhisnameis will need to jump thru all sorts of hoops in the coming weeks before he is eventually deported back to the land of the haka and strange sheep rituals...... No doubt at the cost of the New Zealand taxpayer.

I don't think the thaivisa bleeding hearts need to get so worked up about it, he's going to be alright eventually and as for the ones suggesting he's been set up, I'm not sure that's in line with what was being reported, but if you like we can await the results of the upcoming court case ( at around which time most of you will come up wi some conspiracy theories ) before I tell you. "I told you so" .

Have a little respect for local laws when visiting other countries is the lesson here. Worked for me, here is LOS over the last 40 years or so, nothing's changed.

• Like 1

The kid got drunk with buddies and after splitting up earlier in the evening, he hired a Pattaya motorcycle taxi to take him back to his hotel. It was only after the the motorcycle taxi got back to his rank that he noticed his phone was missing so used a friends phone to call his 'missing' mobile. A Thai girl answered and after ascertaining she was with the drunk kiwi kid in his room, the motorcycle taxi guy called the cops and they went and arrested him. I never heard about any resisting arrest but the kid was pretty f*cked up apparently and can't recall very much about the event or 24 hours after he was arrested.

Anyway, Pattaya's finest managed to get him to sign a confession (written in Thai) that the kid can't remember. He admits that it is his signature but had no recollection on the arrest or the 'confession', court appearance and immediate detention. They took him to court where the whole night crime versus day crime scenario was revealed and he was remanded to Nongplalai prison, not back at Soi 9. It was only after probably 2 or 3 days that he was eventually tracked down as neither police nor the court could state where he had been taken. The police and the court made no effort to use any of the farang volunteer police, get him any legal representation or notify his embassy despite the fact that they had his passport (in the room when arrested). They knew his name, age and nationality but didn't bother to make contact with anyone who may have been able to bail him out or assist in any way. He was fast-tracked through court within hours of the events and he wasn't allowed to try and contact anyone.

The kid is indeed half Maori and is pretty much aware how badly he has screwed up but he wasn't afforded any assistance or protections; just banged up, shunted from jail to jail without even a proper paper trail. The kiwi embassy is now very much involved and I guess that is now the reason he is locked up in Bangkok.

There's no denying he 'stole' the phone but he was totally drunk and incapable of remembering anything. Sure enough the Thai law does make a crime committed during darkness more serious than the same crime in daylight but for an 'international' city where it isn't unusual for farangs to fall foul of law enforcement due to excess alcohol or drugs, why were the cops so anxious to try and lock this kid up and apparently try and throw away the key?

That interests the kiwi authorities apparently. He may very well be a 'punk' from a broken home with more money than sense but I disagree with how the local authorities handled this.

And these "facts" have been substantiated by whom?

Not supporting his choices, but how many ladyboys in pattaya spend time in a slammer for picking pockets/cellphones?

SL,

Plenty of them get locked up, often the crackdowns are published in the news.

The Thai jails are full of Thais, make no mistake about it, all 3 genders !

The point is, foreign people in the country should take extra care, simple as that. And as for the pathetic, "I was too drunk! don't remember excuse" ...... Pathetic, one must be responsible for ones action when putting the beer down ones throat. Especially when in a foreign country.

• Like 2

Not supporting his choices, but how many ladyboys in pattaya spend time in a slammer for picking pockets/cellphones?

SL,

Plenty of them get locked up, often the crackdowns are published in the news.

The Thai jails are full of Thais, make no mistake about it, all 3 genders !

The point is, foreign people in the country should take extra care, simple as that. And as for the pathetic, "I was too drunk! don't remember excuse" ...... Pathetic, one must be responsible for ones action when putting the beer down ones throat. Especially when in a foreign country.

and dunkeness is not a defence, well under the Westminster system anyway in which thai law is based.

That interests the kiwi authorities apparently. He may very well be a 'punk' from a broken home with more money than sense but I disagree with how the local authorities handled this.

Nobody on this forum for sure.

My post was from first-hand (non-anecdotal) conversation with my friend of over 30 years who is a New Zealand national, long-time Pattaya resident and was tasked by the boss at the NZ Embassy to find out where a missing kid was. Finding out about the crime just followed on after a couple of meetings with the kid over two days while still in remand in Nongplalai.

or

I am bored sh!tless in Singapore right now and made it all up.

You're all old enough to make up your mind and form your own opinions. I already have regarding this kids guilt and (eventual) punishment. I just have issues, like his governments representatives in Thailand, that it was not handled at all appropriately from the get go.

There's a lot of western words, procedures and terminology that just does not translate into Thai very easily. That doesn't surprise me at all, especially in the Thai legal world. However, I find it hard to believe that the term 'due process' seems to be similarly absent from the lingo of some of the posters herein, especially the ones that (claim they) used to wear badges.

• Like 1

Nobody on this forum for sure.

My post was from first-hand (non-anecdotal) conversation with my friend of over 30 years who is a New Zealand national, long-time Pattaya resident and was tasked by the boss at the NZ Embassy to find out where a missing kid was. Finding out about the crime just followed on after a couple of meetings with the kid over two days while still in remand in Nongplalai.

or

I am bored sh!tless in Singapore right now and made it all up.

You're all old enough to make up your mind and form your own opinions. I already have regarding this kids guilt and (eventual) punishment. I just have issues, like his governments representatives in Thailand, that it was not handled at all appropriately from the get go.

There's a lot of western words, procedures and terminology that just does not translate into Thai very easily. That doesn't surprise me at all, especially in the Thai legal world. However, I find it hard to believe that the term 'due process' seems to be similarly absent from the lingo of some of the posters herein, especially the ones that (claim they) used to wear badges.

NL,

Interesting. The story you have relayed here just goes to show why 'all people' should take EXTRA care when visiting countries overseas,. Foriegners can't rely on the same soft system process that they would be entitled to back in their respective home countries. You couldn't even be sure that basic processes that are in place in these countries are followed, of course none of that would surprise a seasoned expat, but no doubt it would come as a big shock to the unaware traveller.

It wouldn't have surprised me if the story had been that he didn't even take the phone & perhaps he's a victim of yet another scam. Stranger things have happened. Sadly, there seems to be thousands of tourists visiting every year, blissfully unaware? Maybe they're just cocky, it won't happen to me?

Anyway, irregardless of whatever happened ( & there's a chance he's innocent of any crime) his main mistake, one that he seems to have stated himself is that he was too drunk. This is repeated by idiots day in, day out, in Thailand, they consume too much alcohol and then they somehow fall short of the law and find themselves banged up in the monkey house. It's an action fraught with danger in LOS. It seems he was lucky just to get himself into this situation, many foriegners go home in pine boxes.

It doesn't surprise me that the authorities didn't at least notify his embassy, no doubt his family have been worried sick about him. Something should be done about that, but you know how likely that is. Again, none of us here can be assured that even the basics will be followed should something happen to us here.........even more good reason not to drink and run around LOS carrying on like a <deleted>. Despite this you don't have to go far to see idiot farangs behaving badly in places like, Thailand & Indonesia etc etc.

This story will be repeated, again and again, the only thing that will change will be the names involved.

No Doubt there's another version of this story, in fact many versions depending on who you speak to, who knows where the truth lies? Whatshisname claims he can't even remember it........how much alcohol did he drink?

The one thing that is certain however is that in a week or two, young whateverhisnameis is will be back home in kiwi land a whole lot smarter and wiser and perhaps he will be a whole lot more careful when travelling abroad, especially to certain parts of the world. As I said earlier, hopefully his experience will smarten him up and he will become a better man for it.

Of course none of us here have even given any thought to the poor motorcycle taxi rider. He's probably got a family to feed, he spends 12-16 hours a day, moving people around on the back of his scooter bike for a few baht, here and there. A lot of those guys rely on their phones for business, most likely he's paying the phone off on a plan (for years). Surely he doesn't deserved to be robbed by anyone, poor bugger got lucky this time because he got his phone back. Of corse he probably lost income, running around trying to find phone & time spent at the police station etc, nobly here has even given an iota of thought for him.

Sheesh...... No wonder so many Thais think poorly of westerners.