Foreign female tourist killed in hit and run on Koh Samui

Foreign Female Tourist Killed In Hit And Run

A driver of a 6-wheeled water truck crashed into a foreign female tourist who was riding her motorbike. The truck driver cut the corner and collided with her killing her instantly before fleeing the scene at speed.

SURAT THANI – February 3, 2014 [PDN]; at 3.20 a.m the radio centre officers of Bor Phood police station, Surat Thani province were notified that there was a foreign tourist who had been crushed to death by a truck on the road in front of Ban Bor Phood public health center, Tambon Bor Phood so the officers let Pol. Capt. Anumat Ruenphanich (Investigation officer of Bor Phood police station, Surat Thani province) go to inspect the scene. The accident occurred in the middle of Ban Plai Laem – Bor Phood T-junction road, in front of Ban Bor Phood public health center , Moo 1 Tambon Bor Phood, Amphur Koh Samui.

At the incident the officer found the corpse of an unknown female foreigner, she was slim with white skin and long blond hair approximately 165-170 cm tall, aged approximately 25-30 she was found with no ID. Nearby was a red-black Yamaha Meo motorbike, license number KHOR KOR YOR 991 Surat Thani, which belonged to deceased.

Upon questioning the eyewitnesses the police perceived that the hit and run driver was driving a white 6-wheeled-truck that was loaded with water. They didn’t get the number plate because it sped off at high speed. They said it was travelling at high speed when it approached the curve and collided with the deceased driving in the opposite way. The truck then accelerated to flee the scene in the direction of Ban Plai Laem. However, the officer will rush to inspect the CCTV in order to follow up to arrest the truck driver to prosecute further according to the Thai law.

Source: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2014/02/04/foreign-female-tourist-killed-in-hit-and-run/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2014-02-04

Warning: Original source contains a graphic image

/Admin

• Like 1

Killed via Thainess. :(

Almost went over a local a few days ago who instead of doing the normal u-turn on his scooter, stopped at the start of the by-way as there is a small footpath over the verge and rode his bike over that instead.

Saved himself a whole 30 seconds by not driving 50 meters down to the actual u-turn and instead just had to stop on the road with moving traffic behind him and then cut into moving traffic in the opposite fast lane. Thainess.

• Like 1

Why do I get this depressing feeling?

Is it because I have heard the same coward incident many times before?

Is it because I heard of so many deaths, because of arrogant drivers?

Is it because police may never find the culprit as before?

RIP, young Lady, hope you find a better world up there.

Oh, they'll find the culprit because it costs serious money to buy a water hauler and that means deep pockets for the tea money. It would seem to hinge on how much value the owner of that truck places on the guy that was driving it.

Obviously in this case the driver fled the scene for obvious reasons.

In Thailand if a motorist in involved with a collision that results in the death of the other party he/she is immediately arrested and charged with causing the death whilst the case is investigated. That means that even if you did nothing wrong you will find yourself charged and then in theory the charge will be dropped when the case is investigated properly.. however it's back to front and against natural justice so it's kind of understandable that in some instances people flee the scene.

It should be noted that not all Thai drivers flee the scene of a fatal accident, even if they are at fault and there is no witness. My neighbour was killed by a Thai pick up driver who stopped and reported the incident to the police despite there being no other witness, it was a accident and the pick up driver was not really to blame, but it's wrong to suggest that all Thai drivers are cowards.

I don't believe anyone suggested all were, just too many of them are.

• Like 1

Tips for newbie scooter drivers here: Watch traffic at all times (also from behind by using mirrors), keep both hands on brakes (or foot and hand), don`t just your blink when you turn right but also wave your hand, beware dogs, -children and -backing trucks on the side of the road, keeps your eyes peeled for fast approaching motorbikes, -trucks, -cars and water trucks, watch out for the curves as there might be overtaking vehicle on your lane, don`t drive too fast (over 60) or too slow (depending on situation) as this will multiple increase the chance of getting hit by something and during night time, use a moto taxi if you plan to drink...

R.I.P for an other hapless soul lost on the streets of Samui

p.s. I know there`s more tips...

Nice advice apart from taking your hand off the throttle to indicate? That isn't going to help your general control of the bike so would (given the amount of times you'd have to do it) make life more difficult.

The best piece of advice for people riding in Thailand is not to do it unless they are experienced and confident. Even then you must assume NOTHING here as you will always be proved wrong. Wear a helmet and accept the inevitable - you really don't know when your time will come.

I tended to go with pulling over to the left and stopping if there is any chance of having to stop and wait to turn right. Then wait until clear and effectively go straight over from the point you've pulled over to.

• Like 1

At the incident the officer found the corpse of an unknown female foreigner, she was slim with white skin and long blond hair approximately 165-170 cm tall, aged approximately 25-30 she was found with no ID. Nearby was a red-black Yamaha Meo motorbike, license number KHOR KOR YOR 991 Surat Thani, which belonged to deceased.

A small point -

If they do not know who she was, how do they know it was her mc?

• Like 2

Obviously in this case the driver fled the scene for obvious reasons.

In Thailand if a motorist in involved with a collision that results in the death of the other party he/she is immediately arrested and charged with causing the death whilst the case is investigated. That means that even if you did nothing wrong you will find yourself charged and then in theory the charge will be dropped when the case is investigated properly.. however it's back to front and against natural justice so it's kind of understandable that in some instances people flee the scene.

It should be noted that not all Thai drivers flee the scene of a fatal accident, even if they are at fault and there is no witness. My neighbour was killed by a Thai pick up driver who stopped and reported the incident to the police despite there being no other witness, it was a accident and the pick up driver was not really to blame, but it's wrong to suggest that all Thai drivers are cowards.

So you know of ONE occurrence where the driver did not flee the accident scene...

Wonder how that tally up % wise, flee, not flee....

A small point -

Why oh why so many stupit question's if you are a DoctorG get your thinking cap on.

A small point -

Your a brain surgeon eh...........rolleyes.gif

RIP.

So sad with all the people loosing their lives on Samui in traffic accidents :(

It's insane how many people are getting killed on such a small island.

One of my biggest fear when visiting Samui is for me or my GF, getting smashed in a traffic accident, so we never rent a scooter and always use the overpriced taxis.

Off course Taxi's crash too, but i just hope it's safer than riding a motorbike.

I'm wondering if the fatalities would drop if the taxi's started to running by meters, so more people would use them and drop the motorbikes.

• Like 1

Tips for newbie scooter drivers here: Watch traffic at all times (also from behind by using mirrors), keep both hands on brakes (or foot and hand), don`t just your blink when you turn right but also wave your hand, beware dogs, -children and -backing trucks on the side of the road, keeps your eyes peeled for fast approaching motorbikes, -trucks, -cars and water trucks, watch out for the curves as there might be overtaking vehicle on your lane, don`t drive too fast (over 60) or too slow (depending on situation) as this will multiple increase the chance of getting hit by something and during night time, use a moto taxi if you plan to drink...

You missed the best tip....DO NOT DRIVE IN THAILAND....PERIOD!

• Like 1

Nice advice apart from taking your hand off the throttle to indicate? That isn't going to help your general control of the bike so would (given the amount of times you'd have to do it) make life more difficult.

The best piece of advice for people riding in Thailand is not to do it unless they are experienced and confident. Even then you must assume NOTHING here as you will always be proved wrong. Wear a helmet and accept the inevitable - you really don't know when your time will come.

Well, naturally you play it by situation. Waving your hand few times when turning to right is just additional precaution. I wouldn`t stop completely in midsection of the road in heavy traffic. That`s just the worst place to be as you might get slammed into from back or front. As was said - go to left on side of the road to wait traffic to clear and shoot over. Hesitation can kill a cat so "reading the traffic" can truly safe your life here.

Well, naturally you play it by situation. Waving your hand few times when turning to right is just additional precaution. I wouldn`t stop completely in midsection of the road in heavy traffic. That`s just the worst place to be as you might get slammed into from back or front. As was said - go to left on side of the road to wait traffic to clear and shoot over. Hesitation can kill a cat so "reading the traffic" can truly safe your life here.

Admittedly I don't ride in Samui (but have ridden KPN to BKK) but ride Bangkok every day. It is a different story entirely depending on the place. My suggestion is merely that riding with your hand off the throttle is inherently more dangerous than riding with your hand off the clutch as you are committed to deceleration which limits your options massively wherever you are.

Too many Thais are cowards who have no idea how to drive or take personal responsibility for their wrong-doings!!

Poor girl; tragic.

I suppose the problem is compounded because there is no such thing as vicarious liability or any liability placed on the employer of the driver.

In proper countries the employer would eventually get sued but would have insurance, resources etc to assist in the defence of both the driver and the company.

Employers in Thailand don't give a tuppenny <deleted>#$ about employees and cut them adrift as soon as it suits them.

Add the obligatory tea money they'd pay to the cops to keep their noses out and it's game over.

Poor girl indeed

• Like 1