Thai-Indian business tycoon to be deported for protesting

Lite Beer

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about all the Thai/Chinese who were protesting?

They are Thai citizens. This guy is a foreigner.

I hope they do the same to all the farang douchebags who have joined in the protests as well.

What about the "farang douchbags" who have a legal business and pay taxes to the government, they should be denied a voice? What's the point of paying taxes if you're not allowed to voice your opinion.

Sounds fair.

Paying taxes has nothing to do with having rights or not.

If you pay taxes it is because you make money in this country.

If you make money you should be grateful to the country and grateful that you are allowed to stay here to make money.

The fact that you pay taxes does not give you the right to join criminal anti-democratic protests.

I also hope that all farangs who joined the protests will be deported.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Paying taxes has nothing to do with having rights or not.

If you pay taxes it is because you make money in this country.

If you make money you should be grateful to the country and grateful that you are allowed to stay here to make money.

The fact that you pay taxes does not give you the right to join criminal anti-democratic protests.

I also hope that all farangs who joined the protests will be deported.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"If you pay taxes it is because you make money in this country."

I believe you're mistaken, on this particular point, as I myself don't do business or make money in Thailand, but I do pay a certain amount of VAT when I purchase things here, I pay excise-duty on alcohol & tobacco-products, I pay duty whenever I buy diesel/petrol or an airplane-ticket, and so on.

I am happy to do so. I like being a guest here, and do expect to contribute, even though I make/made all my money elsewhere.

I enjoy observing, and commenting (with other farangs) on what happens here, and try to learn more & understand Thai culture and society. It bears many similarities, to the country in which I was born & raised, but also has many interesting differences too. This is fun as-well-as educational.

But I would agree that joining-in a street-protest, especially after being warned clearly of the consequences, would be foolish ... some things are for the local people, not guests or short-term tourist visitors.

In this particular case, a long-term guest who has clearly contributed personally to Thailand over-the-years has got carried-away, and has received a stern reminder. I would hope that, after allowing time for the lesson to sink-in, some leniency might be exercised by the authorities. I believe this would be well-received in India, and amongst the Indian community here, as well. wai2.gif

• Like 2

If India went all berzerk because one of their consular employees in NYC got caught up in human smuggling and arrested, imagine how they could gin up this incident, especially since it involves a (smaller) neighboring country.

There is a LOT of folks in this thread whining about how the poor foreigner got screwed by politics - that's simply not true.

He broke the law! We were all warned! WE ALL KNOW WE DO NOT HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS AS THE LOCALS!

Seriously - what if you (whiners) were back in your homeland and a foreigner was told NOT to do something, but they did it anyway - you would all be screaming for their heads!

Common sense people - the law is the law. It's not always fair to us - but as a resident - you learn to accept the shortcomings - or you can GTFO!

I agree with you but the guy has been here apparently 55 yrs and is now 70yrs old so he came when he was 15. Probably has Thai Children, Grand Children and Great Grand Children.

Mr Sehgal was born in India, but all four of his siblings were born in Thailand. He has never become a citizen, but said he was Thai at heart.

There is a LOT of folks in this thread whining about how the poor foreigner got screwed by politics - that's simply not true.

He broke the law! We were all warned! WE ALL KNOW WE DO NOT HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS AS THE LOCALS!

Seriously - what if you (whiners) were back in your homeland and a foreigner was told NOT to do something, but they did it anyway - you would all be screaming for their heads!

Common sense people - the law is the law. It's not always fair to us - but as a resident - you learn to accept the shortcomings - or you can GTFO!

Broke the law?? Please show me a link. Just because an agency says something does not make it a LAW! Come on, deportation laws exist and have to be reasonable - if the government came out tomorrow and said "If you're caught with a prostitue you'll be deported" Im sure many on TV would be "outraged" and spouting how ridiculous Thailand is (By the way prostitution is a REAL crime in Thailand).

• Like 1

He was looked upon as a PDRC protest leader and planned to go to Chang Mai, with a group, to berate the red shirts.

Joining the protests is clearly illegal for falangs, however initiating a confrontation is another.

What law.... clearly illegal. Why?

Link to your suggestions that PDRC people wanted to go to Chiang Mai.. thanks!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Serves him right, we were all warned about the possibillity of deportation if we joined in with any of these silly protests !

Do any of you know what the word hypocrite means?

When just by the mere fact of commenting on a forum with your opinion about the situation politically you are joining In the protest, are you not?

So we are all just as guilty as this man, what's the difference?

Tell me how i'm wrong

And lee b I'm so glad you think these protests are SILLY, it's just helps confirm my opposite opinion to you, let's face mate your not the sharpest tool in the box are you?

Just by calling these protestors SILLY you are joining in the protest are you not? and according to the government you deserve to be deported.

Soooooo...following through with your opinion, everybody who is commenting on Thai -politics, somewhere in the world, could be banned from entering the kingdom?

TAT will not be happy!

This is an international forum- how am I joining the protest, when I am commenting on it?

I am not a part of ManU's last match, just because I have an opinion on it and voicing it!

Excellent news.

He broke the law, and he will get deported.

This is what makes me laugh about the PDRC, they say Thaksin can never have an amnesty, and yet some of their people break the laws over and over again and yet they expect not to be prosecuted for it, as if they win they will all get an amnesty, a de-facto amnesty by no prosecution.

They are one big bunch of hypocrites.

Anyway, glad this Indian guy is being deported for breaking the law - add him to the immigration black list as well. And why does the PDRC have foreigners in their midst ? Or are they so desperate to get people they will take anyone in ?

All in my opinion of course.

• Like 1

This gent has been in the country for over 55 years and considers himself to be Thai.

He has sat on the Thai side in negotiating trade deals with India for many years and has been instrumental in increasing trade between the 2 countries.

He Has done far more good for Thailand than Chalerm and Tarit combined and now they want to throw him out because he speaks out against corruption.

Give me a break. He's a businessman. Described as a "tycoon", in fact. Helping Thailand ink trade deals with India most likely helps his pocketbook as well. People make him out to be such a charitable guy, and perhaps he is. But I don't see the evidence of it. What are people lauding him for? For working to provide a million framed portraits of the king to the poor of the country. Because, yes, that's what the poor really need....

• Like 1

Broke the law?? Please show me a link. Just because an agency says something does not make it a LAW! Come on, deportation laws exist and have to be reasonable - if the government came out tomorrow and said "If you're caught with a prostitue you'll be deported" Im sure many on TV would be "outraged" and spouting how ridiculous Thailand is (By the way prostitution is a REAL crime in Thailand).

He was clearly involved with a protest movement after the SOE was in place, which is against the law.

Thats it, no need to elaborate or try to make excuses.

The SOE prohibits all protests and gatherings. So if there is one and you are involved in it, especially when considered a "leader", then unless you are Thai and fall under the protection of Sutheps backers (for now) then you will get deported for breaking the law.

its quite simple.

Break the law - be prosecuted. If you are a foreigner, be deported.

• Like 1

I agree with you but the guy has been here apparently 55 yrs and is now 70yrs old so he came when he was 15. Probably has Thai Children, Grand Children and Great Grand Children.

Mr Sehgal was born in India, but all four of his siblings were born in Thailand. He has never become a citizen, but said he was Thai at heart.

55 years and not gotten his citizenship? I'm sorry - but I feel even LESS for the guy's plight now!

Oh, but he is "Thai at heart" - well at heart, I'm the King of England! This doesn't make it any more real! At some point people need to take responsibility for their actions and grown up!

I am a resident currently of South Korea - but I do *NOT* have all the rights their citizens have. The mindset of one's physical presence being enough to guarantee one's rights is ABSURD! Every country has laws, they can differ greatly! You *MUST* respect that countries laws or you should leave!

This isn't about politics, its about the rule of law and I applaud Thailand for ONCE trying to enforce it!

Edited by JeffreyWitty
  • Like 1

He was clearly involved with a protest movement after the SOE was in place, which is against the law.

The SOE prohibits all protests and gatherings. So if there is one and you are involved in it, especially when considered a "leader", then unless you are Thai and fall under the protection of Sutheps backers (for now) then you will get deported for breaking the law.

its quite simple.

So all bar patrons during the SOE should also be arrested since gatherings of more than 5 are illegal as well??? Can't have it both ways

Welcome to the real world! Life is UNFAIR! It *IS* a law! Go ask your local Thai Immigration! Say to them "Is it against the law for falang to protest?" They will happily give you the answer. You want a link? Fine, here you go:

http://imgfave.com/view/74815

So all bar patrons during the SOE should also be arrested since gatherings of more than 5 are illegal as well??? Can't have it both ways

Come on now, if there is a POLITICAL gathering at a bar of more than 5 people at the same table - then yeah, probably. Other than that - don't be ridiculous. I hope you are smarter than that.

• Like 1

its quite simple.

I do not see bar patrons getting up on a stage and slagging off the government of Thailand.

I do not see bar patrons getting up on a stage and stating North/NorthEastern Thais are ignorant and the need to go around and re-educate them all.

I do not see bar patrons getting up on a PDRC stage.

This man has SERIOUSLY broken the SOE law it seems and in order of priority his offense needs to be treated as case 1, with more to follow, yes.

And you are quite at liberty to go to a police station and make a written formal complaint against any gathering of more than 5 people under the SOE effected area. However, if you do not make a police report and make the complaint official the police will take no action. So I guess that no formal complaints have been made about any bars, and so, no action is necessary.

This Indian man has had complaints against him lodged and action is ongoing

So if you want your bars to be shut, make a formal complaint, and if not, then do not.

Edited by LevelHead
  • Like 1

He was looked upon as a PDRC protest leader and planned to go to Chang Mai, with a group, to berate the red shirts.

Joining the protests is clearly illegal for falangs, however initiating a confrontation is another.

What law.... clearly illegal. Why?

Link to your suggestions that PDRC people wanted to go to Chiang Mai.. thanks!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Maybe you missed the memo about falangs joining the protest to over throw an elected government. Check this thread and you will see the warning. I cannot link to the reference about Chang Mai as per TV rules about certain papers.

Edited by JohnP1752

While he feels he doesn't belong to any political camp _ saying instead that he is reacting against injustice _ he was motivated to help the People's Democratic Reform Committee's (PDRC) campaign because.he opposed the way the red shirts took over Silom in 2010.

post-122647-0-83968700-1391569106_thumb.

While he feels he doesn't belong to any political camp _ saying instead that he is reacting against injustice _ he was motivated to help the People's Democratic Reform Committee's (PDRC) campaign because.he opposed the way the red shirts took over Silom in 2010.

588192.jpg

There is more he was not only biased he was a royalist extremist.

From Mr Satish:

I heard that many red shirt people have removed pictures of the King from their houses. I just feel sorry for them. I think the red shirt people are ignorant. They have not been given the total information....

I will go to Chang Mai to educate them.

Sehgal led a group of protesters in Bangkok’s business district and called for the elected government to quit.

He also publicly criticised the government and showed his strong affiliation to the opposition Democrat Party.

• Like 1

Perhaps the answer is already on this very long thread, much of which I have followed; Mr Satish has lived in Thailand for forty years, does he have residency, or does he have to get an annual visa and report every ninety days?

• Like 1

What exactly constitutes protesting?

If I walk down the street that the protest is on; does that mean I am "protesting" and are therefore going to get deported. What if I happen to be wearing a whistle, or happen to have wearing a large foam hand; does that qualify as "protesting"?

Edited by pancakeman

All ex-pats and the tourists as well should be pleased that Mr. Satish says that he will take this matter through the judicial process if an order to deport is issued.

"Anti-govt protest leader Satish Sehgal threatens to take legal action against CMPO for ordering to deport him /MCOT"

Various provincial immigration police agencies issued warnings to foreigners that they could be deported, or their extensions of stay canceled, should they engage in protest activity.

Hopefully, this gentleman has the means to contest the constitutionality of such an order of the immigration police in court. The only basis for such an order is the following language found in the Immigration Act BE 2552, Section 12, Aliens falling into these categories may be excluded from the Kingdom

7. Having behavior which would indicate possible danger to the public or likelihood of being a nuisance or constituting any violence to the peace or safety of the public or to the security of the public or to the security of the nation, or being under warrant of arrest by competent officials of foreign governments.

A court would probably find the immigration act's language is overbroad and ambiguous and could not support the immigration police orders that were issued. Simply being found in a protest area could be used to deport someone, and that wouldn't be supported by the underlying purpose of the immigration act.