Thai opposition seeks to annul election, disband ruling party

webfact

Thai opposition seeks to annul election, disband ruling party

BANGKOK, February 4, 2014 (AFP) - Thailand's opposition is set Tuesday to demand the annulment of last weekend's election and the dissolution of the ruling party, in a legal offensive that threatens to intensify the kingdom's political agony.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra called Sunday's snap election in a bid to defuse mass rallies that have dogged her government for three months, sparked deadly violence in Bangkok and thrust the kingdom into prolonged political turmoil.

The latest legal move by the opposition, which plans to file a legal challenge to the polls in the Constitutional Court later Tuesday, came as the United States warned against any moves to stage a military coup, in the most outspoken remarks yet by a major ally.

"We certainly do not want to see a coup or violence," US State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said after opposition protesters prevented voting at thousands of polling stations on Sunday, prompting election authorities to withhold results until ballots are cast in all constituencies.

A lawyer for the opposition Democrat Party said their complaint to the Constitutional Court will pivot on a state of emergency, announced in the run-up to polls because of worries over political violence after a spate of gun fights and grenade attacks at protest sites.

The Democrats claim the decree also sought to muzzle critical media and promote pro-government news outlets, breaching the constitution.

"This meant the election was not free and fair," Virat Kalayasiri told AFP late Tuesday.

"We also seek the dissolution of Puea Thai (ruling party) and a political ban for its executives," Virat said, accusing the government of also acting unconstitutionally by using the emergency decree to seek power.

Interventionist judiciary

Thailand's interventionist courts have been closely watched for signs they may enact a "judicial coup" to topple the government.

The country's bitter polarisation hinges on the influence of Yingluck's older brother Thaksin, who lives in self-imposed exile yet draws adoration by the rural northern poor but is loathed by the Bangkok middle class and southerners.

The billionaire-turned-politician and his allies have won every election since emerging onto Thailand's political stage more than a decade ago.

But he was deposed in a military coup soon after his second electoral win in 2006 and two elected Thaksin-backed parties were subsequently dissolved by the courts.

Yingluck's government now faces a slew of legal challenges, including over alleged corruption linked to a controversial rice subsidy scheme and an effort to remodel the make-up of Thailand's senate to make it fully elected.

"It's a political game to discredit Puea Thai and Yingluck's government," said party spokesman Pormpong Nopparit, adding the use of the emergency law was legitimate.

Observers say Thailand's powerful army is reluctant to step in this time, despite calls from anti-government protesters for it to resolve the crisis.

"We remain concerned that political tensions in Thailand are posing challenges to the democratic institutions and processes of Thailand," Psaki told reporters.

Some 10,000 polling stations were unable to open on Sunday, affecting several million people, mainly in Democrat strongholds in Bangkok and the south.

But Puea Thai have hailed Sunday's election as a victory for Thai democracy after ballots were cast by nearly half of those voters whose local polling stations did not close.

Yingluck will remain in a caretaker role with limited power over government policy until elections are held in enough constituencies to have a quorum in parliament.

The protesters on Bangkok's streets want her ousted and her government replaced by an unelected "People's Council" to enact vaguely-defined reforms before new elections.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-02-04

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yingluck will remain in a caretaker role with limited power over government cheesy.gif She has been in that role the day the PTP came to power.

Respect for the law can really be a bitch. This is expected when an unelected criminal fugitive who's money came of the back of the 1992 coup is running things.

Look at the Shinawatra charge sheet. It reads like a crime novel. Time to add a new chapter.

• Like 2

Every year? And then?
No bi-yearly demonstrations anymore?
No meeting relatives in BKK?
No parties anymore?
No free underwear and noodle soup??
Destroiing old established tradditions?
C'mon, that's just not on!
At least, hold elections at every two years,
then Thais still have a chance to see BKK.

I would like to see Yingluck and co up before the courts and their passports confiscated until the court rules on all the charges they should be facing. I know its not going to happen and they will off to Dubai sooner or later. Will big brother will speak to her for failing to hold on to power?

Every year? And then?

No bi-yearly demonstrations anymore?
No meeting relatives in BKK?

No parties anymore?

No free underwear and noodle soup??

Destroiing old established tradditions?

C'mon, that's just not on!

At least, hold elections at every two years,

then Thais still have a chance to see BKK.

Sorry got a bit confused with annul, annual and probably anal too.

Time to upgrade my spectacles ;-)

• Like 2

Thai opposition lawyer asks court to annul poll, disband ruling party

BANGKOK, February 4, 2014 (AFP) - A lawyer for Thailand's opposition party on Tuesday urged a key court to annul last weekend's snap election and disband the embattled ruling party of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

"I submitted the petition... the court will inform us later if they take the case or not," Democrat Party lawyer, Virat Kalayasiri, told reporters.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-02-04

• Like 1

Yingluck will remain in a caretaker role with limited power over government cheesy.gif She has been in that role the day the PTP came to power.

Respect for the law can really be a bitch. This is expected when an unelected criminal fugitive who's money came of the back of the 1992 coup is running things.

Look at the Shinawatra charge sheet. It reads like a crime novel. Time to add a new chapter.

I doubt it will end with.

"and they all lived happily ever after"

"The Democrats claim the decree also sought to muzzle critical media and promote pro-government news outlets, breaching the constitution.

"This meant the election was not free and fair," Virat Kalayasiri told AFP late Tuesday."

Strange, I thought blue sky was transmitting bile 24 hours a day from the stages. Perhaps I imagined it?

'bile'?

Anyway BlueSky is private owned, just like the red-shirt channel. What is meant is a mis-use of public broadcasting channels for 'pro-government' news and promotion.

Furthermore an ever-smiling caretaker PM one various inspection tours, telling governors what to do and showing decisiveness and statewomenship worthy of re-election (as party list candidate). Furthermore a constant harassing by the DSI, Pheu Thai MPs and spokespersons, etc., etc., etc.

BTW I'm still waiting for a possible answer on why the Pheu Thai led government deemed an extended period covering the first two Yingluck years necessary for their undemocratic blanket amnesty bill. Also why this no longer caretaking government continues with an extended election. What are they hiding or planning?

• Like 1

Funny and Ironic, the democrats path to power and method is to use the courts and not an election, this isnt the first time. All very sad and pathetic and just serves to destroy all faith in the election process and indeed courts and judicial system.

As for the constitution ? well clearly its a load of rubbish if everyone needs clarification of the courts every 5 mins.

Constitution rubbish? May I remind you that over 90% of the text is identical to that wonderful 1997 people's constitution! Lots of clarifications as well and extended independence for various watchdogs and the general public.

Of course, clarification asked from courts mostly means that the laws which should reflect the constitution do not. Also politicians like to keep courts busy and especially they like to praise any ruling in their favour and protest any ruling against them.

• Like 1

Funny and Ironic, the democrats path to power and method is to use the courts and not an election, this isnt the first time. All very sad and pathetic and just serves to destroy all faith in the election process and indeed courts and judicial system.

As for the constitution ? well clearly its a load of rubbish if everyone needs clarification of the courts every 5 mins.

Well i'm sure if the PTP wasn't so corrupt and breaking laws at every given opportunity, the court route would not be employed...

Or are you suggesting the opposition party (Democrats) shouldn't file cases with the courts when they find wrong-doings... because they haven't won an election recently? And only elected ruling parties can file cases with the court.

They already think as an elected government they can break any laws they like and selectively impose laws when dealing with their own and/or any opposition

• Like 2

"The Democrats claim the decree also sought to muzzle critical media and promote pro-government news outlets, breaching the constitution.

"This meant the election was not free and fair," Virat Kalayasiri told AFP late Tuesday."

Strange, I thought blue sky was transmitting bile 24 hours a day from the stages. Perhaps I imagined it?

Your becoming very boring.

Thailand's interventionist courts have been closely watched for signs they may enact a "judicial coup" to topple the government.

First of all, the CC is obligated to follow the constitution, was voting on a bill that had been altered violate the constitution, if so what were the consequences and the intent, Same with the Senate, what was the intent, if the intent was to load the Senate with family members and friends so that the party had no opposition, i would call that unconstitutional, but i'm not a judge. Either way, i wouldn't call it interventionist, i would say they are doing their jobs. Secondly, the ACC, certainly it isn't intervention to investigate crimes, examine the evidence, assign guilt where they find it and levy penalties where they are called for. These courts must be respected, without laws there is anarchy. By the way, if a Thai government expressed concern about a court decision in another country, would anyone care?

• Like 1

Well i'm sure if the PTP wasn't so corrupt and breaking laws at every given opportunity, the court route would not be employed...

Or are you suggesting the opposition party (Democrats) shouldn't file cases with the courts when they find wrong-doings... because they haven't won an election recently? And only elected ruling parties can file cases with the court.

They already think as an elected government they can break any laws they like and selectively impose laws when dealing with their own and/or any opposition

Actually im suggesting lawyers and courts have got so used to manipulating and twisting any document or wording to suit themselves or pretend ambiguity when there never really was one.

I have no problem with say dissolving a party if its found to be breaking rules but to believe 3 on the trot from the same camp is a bit much this country has about as finer record dissolving parties as it does coups, when the country speaks sooner or later either the army or dems pop up and conspire to enact or engineer a coup by some means to regain power for a few years until forced to again let the people speak......

Therefore its not hard to conclude either the entire political class regardless of side must be flawed as its made up of dissolved party members that cannot read or understand the constitution or dosnt care, and the forces are political or the whole judicial and court system is about as stable and reliable as the rest of the country and just as corrupt along with the constitution not being fit for purpose.

Or of course all of the above.

"to believe 3 on the trot from the same camp is a bit much"

It's just a case of some never seem to learn. The common component could be the 'Thaksin thinks' rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Where does the buck stop passing hands here? Does anyone know how 'clean' the Thai courts and judiciary are, given the widespread and various mis-uses of power alleged against all other institutions I hear? I don't seem to hear the same criticisms levelled at the courts. Are judgements considered neutral, trustworthy, and respected?

passifier.gif dont be so bitter..its not your country or mine..

'bile'?

Anyway BlueSky is private owned, just like the red-shirt channel. What is meant is a mis-use of public broadcasting channels for 'pro-government' news and promotion.

Furthermore an ever-smiling caretaker PM one various inspection tours, telling governors what to do and showing decisiveness and statewomenship worthy of re-election (as party list candidate). Furthermore a constant harassing by the DSI, Pheu Thai MPs and spokespersons, etc., etc., etc.

BTW I'm still waiting for a possible answer on why the Pheu Thai led government deemed an extended period covering the first two Yingluck years necessary for their undemocratic blanket amnesty bill. Also why this no longer caretaking government continues with an extended election. What are they hiding or planning?

Bile = anger or hatred http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bile

Would you like to give examples of the government owned outlets promoting pro-government news?

Your second paragraph is laughable, your third off topic.

• Like 1