China cancels Thailand rice deal amid probe

webfact

China cancels Thailand rice deal amid probe

(BBC) Thailand has announced that a contract to sell more than a million tonnes of rice to China has been cancelled.

The Ministry of Commerce said the Chinese government pulled out of the the deal to buy 1.2 million tonnes of rice because of an ongoing probe.

Thailand's Anti-Corruption Commission is investigating PM Yingluck Shinawatra over a rice purchase policy.

The policy has been a factor in the anti-government protests that have sparked Thailand's political crisis.

The deal with China would have been the first stage of what the Thai government was hoping to be a larger shipment of 700 million tonnes of rice this year.

"China lacks confidence to do business with us after the National Anti-Corruption Commission started investigations into the transparency of rice deals between Thailand and China," Thai Commerce Minister Niwatthamrong Bunsongphaisan said, announcing the cancellation. [read more...]

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26028335

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-02-04

• Like 2

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rice scheme burns out. Tablet maker bankrupt. First time car buyers not getting their rebates. That's 0/3 for the Shin populist promises! Well done!

The spin meister is back ...surely not even you could blame YL for this. Blame here is squarely with Suthep. No other explanation warrants consideration.

• Like 2

Well the blame is with the NACC for investigating this BS in the first place, a deal to buy rice from Thailand-the NACC calls 'corruption' the things this sham tribunal calls corruption is unbelievable

Going on a cooking show is corruption

Voting to amend the constitution so that the upper house is elected not appointed is corruption

Buying rice is corruption

The rice pledging scheme, aka a farm subsidy is corruption

Edited by pkspeaker
  • Like 2

The blaming of one person on this is wrong. She had alto of other people working the process. The whole scheme was to get the Shin Dynasty back in power, and to put large amounts of money into the hands of corrupt politicians.

More weak reporting and biased with it.

Taking for granted that the Chinese government was involved rather than some Chinese company that has nothing to do with rice.

Trying to blame the protesters when the only thing preventing the farmer payments is for the government to fund the BAAC.

Useless Mr. Head.

Not even Google journalism

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Rice scheme burns out. Tablet maker bankrupt. First time car buyers not getting their rebates. That's 0/3 for the Shin populist promises! Well done!

Yeah, too bad the misnamed Democrats don't want an election where they can campaign on the issues. Who knows, if they focused their energy on winning an election instead of overthrowing the government through street protests, they might win.

• Like 2

So even the big brother China shows his pride, at least for their own sake....

not such a surprise

Soon Suthep won t be needed to pull PT out, their voters will do it for him

You mean,... the rice farmers... the rest of Pheu Thai voters who are not affiliated with rice business couldn't care less.... clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Well the blame is with the NACC for investigating this BS in the first place, a deal to buy rice from Thailand-the NACC calls 'corruption' the things this sham tribunal calls corruption is unbelievable

Going on a cooking show is corruption

Voting to amend the constitution so that the upper house is elected not appointed is corruption

Buying rice is corruption

The rice pledging scheme, aka a farm subsidy is corruption

It is the job of the NACC to investigate corruption, that's what one of the Cs stands for.

They found some. (and nothing to do with subsidies)

What would you have them do, keep quiet about it.

• Like 2

not such a surprise

Soon Suthep won t be needed to pull PT out, their voters will do it for him

I think the voters who support PT don't really care much about these things. They are influenced in other ways.

I agree. I speak to teachers at my issan school who have never heard of the rice scheme.

I wondered why Yingluck was the chairwoman of the rice mortgage committee scheme, after all her knowledge about rice is probably limited to cooking.

Apparently it was considered appropriate and a chance for the fledgling PM to bask in the glory of this revolutionary ingenious scheme to help both Thai farmers and push up the world price of rice.

She must be cursing big brother now. I wonder if he is burying his head in the sand of Dubai?

I wondered why Yingluck was the chairwoman of the rice mortgage committee scheme, after all her knowledge about rice is probably limited to cooking.

Apparently it was considered appropriate and a chance for the fledgling PM to bask in the glory of this revolutionary ingenious scheme to help both Thai farmers and push up the world price of rice.

She must be cursing big brother now. I wonder if he is burying his head in the sand of Dubai?

".......after all her knowledge about rice is probably limited to cooking."

I fear you give the lady too much credit. Although she has been photographed stirring noodles in a wok, I venture that the closest she has got to cooking rice has been when she's popped down to the cooks kitchen at home to ask when dinner will be served.

• Like 2