Visiting UK with our son - but his British Passport is already in UK - Help please

Hi guys,

Just after some advice facepalm.gif

My parents were here (in Thailand) not long ago and after they left we realised they had taken my son's British passport back to the UK with them by mistake.

We have decided to visit my parents in the UK in April and so as per what we normally do; leave Thailand on his Thai passport and enter England on his UK passport. Problem is we don't have it!

Obviously I could have his UK passport sent over, but there is always a risk it will go missing (sent recorded or not), so I was wondering, could we arrive in the UK and my parents be waiting with his UK passport?

This would save the risk of posting it to us before we leave but I'm not sure if this is something that would be allowed, strictly speaking.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thank you thumbsup.gif

So you expect your parents to be allowed to wait at immigration with the boy's passport laugh.png.

Get a grip on reality and get it sent over.

Photocopy/scan all the pages first in case it goes missing. Do it sooner rather than later and your backstop is getting a replacement passport before April.

• Like 1

if you can prove at your embassy that he is dual citizen, you might get a destionation only temporary passport for the kids, or a visa without fee...

i am not from the UK, but another EU country, and had both done in the past years.

( for that matter, also the exit with thai passport, enter the EU one).

why dont you talk to your embassy about it first?

• Like 1

Ok guys thanks for all the replies, I will have it sent over by a courier such as DHL thumbsup.gif

I have a theoretical question though;

What would I have done if me and my son were due to fly back to England on a flight the day after my parents accidentally took his passport. We could have boarded the plane using his Thai passport and not known about my parents having his British passport until we got to immigration in England.. At that point I would have phoned my parents and we would have realised they had it with them.

Just a thought.... coffee1.gif

As said above, without his British passport then unless your son had a valid UK visa in his Thai passport the airline would not let him onto the plane.

If he did have a valid UK visa then he could enter the UK with his Thai passport.

Your parents would not have been allowed airside to meet him at UK immigration.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

Per above post. Or you get him a UK visa or you get his passport from the UK. by registered mail. Don't use a courier, that can be a problem with passports.

Since HMPO use DHL to send new passports from the UK to us Brits living here, I would have thought them to be a safe bet in this instance.

Per above post. Or you get him a UK visa or you get his passport from the UK. by registered mail. Don't use a courier, that can be a problem with passports.

Since HMPO use DHL to send new passports from the UK to us Brits living here, I would have thought them to be a safe bet in this instance.

Indeed, and expensive too! Just checked a couple of quotes and DHL came in cheapest at £37 quid. Expensive considering the size and weight of a passport..

Nice thought but they wouldn't let him board the plane without

1) An Emergency Travel document

2) Visa in his Thai Passport

3) British passport

Just use DHL or FED-EX to send the passport over.

With respect, that should be:

1) An Emergency Travel document, or

2) Visa in his Thai Passport, or

3) British passport

• Like 1

Indeed, and expensive too! Just checked a couple of quotes and DHL came in cheapest at £37 quid. Expensive considering the size and weight of a passport..

Cheaper than a visa though.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Cheaper than a visa though.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In any event, should it not be for your parents to pick up the tab rather than you, bearing in mind that it was their apparent stupidity which gave rise to this unfortunate situation?

They are picking up the tab. I was merely pointing out that £37 is expensive given the size and weight of a passport. Got us by the short and curlys I reckon..

(P.S. my parents are far from stupid)

Edited by mattk1