Khao Yai visitors told to beware of 'giant crocodile'

webfact

After a narrow escape when an elephant walked trough our tent at night I will not camp there anymore!

It stepped in my sons armpit, crashed a basket with some small stuff and than hit me in the face to wake me up looking at the stars just to hear the elephant trumpet while walking away in the dark.

The guard that was supposed to be at the campsite........ wasn't there at that moment.

drunk asleep ...?

I have seen this crocodile from a distance on at least 3 occasions, always lying dead still in the sun on that fallen tree-trunk. When I went out there late last year though, it was off its perch, reportedly absent as a result of being harassed by visitors. To be honest, I always felt vulnerable even observing a wild crocodile from 15 or so meters. Only the brave or stupid would get close to a ferocious predator that can explode into top speed in a fraction of a second, let alone provoke it in some way.

Years ago I was told, by a reliable source, that it was one of several crocodiles introduced to the area as juveniles, in the hope of starting a wild population of the endangered wild Siamese crocodile. So I'm not sure why park officials are now questioning its origin.

As someone mentioned earlier, the signage along the trail approaching the riverside needs to be drastically improved. Almost laughable, some of it, but you best laugh quietly...

I spotted this fellow a few years ago but slightly smaller then. This was down by falls they said in the article. By the time officials got there he had slipped under the water and disappeared. "Crocs" are NOT native to Khao Yai or Thailand for that matter. So someone must have dumped it as a young one years ago. he's a danger to anyone who walks along the river in that area. And to the native animals also.

That's either a small croc or a very very large tree trunk.

Not up there with 'sweetheart' caught in the Northern Territory of Australia.

If wild (highly unlikely imo) it should be a freshwater croc, so if they are right about it's age it's probably at most 2m, however if it's a released one from a croc farm it's probably a hybrid, freshie/saltie as they have the best skins for selling and could be a tad bigger. As wild siamese crocs are like the proverbial rocking horse poo, I have to assume it's been planted there by someone. It won't be living in the forest either, it will be at a water source like an ox bow lake. Having watched and filmed several in the wild I know how nervous they are, so if they are taking tourists down to see them, as some TV posters are suggesting, I am utterly convinced its a farmed croc.

It was there 4 years ago, and there were at 2 others at that time. I saw them walking along next to river, there were signs and ropes then, so if dumped they were dumped a long time ago, its nicer for the crocs than a farm, free range monkeys to eat , the travellers I met in khao yai smell bad so crocs probably not interested .

I wonder what happened to the others? I got a video of them from back then somewhere, all very still laying on opposite side of river

I have seen this crocodile from a distance on at least 3 occasions, always lying dead still in the sun on that fallen tree-trunk. When I went out there late last year though, it was off its perch, reportedly absent as a result of being harassed by visitors. To be honest, I always felt vulnerable even observing a wild crocodile from 15 or so meters. Only the brave or stupid would get close to a ferocious predator that can explode into top speed in a fraction of a second, let alone provoke it in some way. Years ago I was told, by a reliable source, that it was one of several crocodiles introduced to the area as juveniles, in the hope of starting a wild population of the endangered wild Siamese crocodile. So I'm not sure why park officials are now questioning its origin. As someone mentioned earlier, the signage along the trail approaching the riverside needs to be drastically improved. Almost laughable, some of it, but you best laugh quietly...

The signs are ok I think, there is tigers etc in that park. In South America you get a little wooden sign sometimes with pictures near your surfing spot - look out for cayman and a (cartoon) picture of it with half a leg in its mouth, I stared at the little pond a long time trying to see it in between surfing

I spotted this fellow a few years ago but slightly smaller then. This was down by falls they said in the article. By the time officials got there he had slipped under the water and disappeared. "Crocs" are NOT native to Khao Yai or Thailand for that matter. So someone must have dumped it as a young one years ago. he's a danger to anyone who walks along the river in that area. And to the native animals also.

Geez. How about a reality check?

Crocs are very much native to Thailand, Or should I rather say WERE. They were hunted to extinction. There used to be salt water crocodiles in coastal regions too. I saw the scull of one of the last remaining specimens on Koh Tarutao. It was killed in the mid 70`ies.

Siamese crocs still remain, but probably only a handful or so in Thailand.

Yes, they are "danger to native animals" as they have to EAT! So do tigers, leopards, etc. As do you!

This croc is no danger to anyone. It is most likely scared shitless when spotting people.

• Like 1

They caught bigger crocodiles (>4m) than that during the floods.

The local entrepreneurs have been crossing the local (not too dangerous) species with the (very dangerous but faster growing) saltwater crocodile, and god knows how many of them got loose in the floods, and now presumably inhabit the Chao Phraya. Coming to a Khlong near you...

That's either a small croc or a very very large tree trunk.

Not up not up...Yes...but 40 years ago! So you'r disqualified, sorry crazy.gif

No mate, bigger than that croc is alive today. Cassius the croc in a croc farm is near 6m and if you google giant croc in NT, there's 1 they got next to a land rover and it is the fattest ugliest croc I have seen.

After Googling giant croc in NT (wow) the jury unanimously re-qualified youwai.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Geez. How about a reality check?

Crocs are very much native to Thailand, Or should I rather say WERE. They were hunted to extinction. There used to be salt water crocodiles in coastal regions too. I saw the scull of one of the last remaining specimens on Koh Tarutao. It was killed in the mid 70`ies.

Siamese crocs still remain, but probably only a handful or so in Thailand.

Yes, they are "danger to native animals" as they have to EAT! So do tigers, leopards, etc. As do you!

This croc is no danger to anyone. It is most likely scared shitless when spotting people.

Learn something every day....thought they were always brought in. As far a danger to humans? You often see "humans" wadding in the rivers and ponds all the time. I doubt they are afraid on much. So I'd say humans are in danger if a croc happens to be around, wouldn't you?