Deportation threat: Indian business chairman Satish to seek justice from Thai court

webfact

I seem to recall reading long ago that the "Thai" people are an ethnic group that moved down here from China, displacing the darker skinned (usually) natives. So how about deporting all of them while we are at it? More chicken poop silliness. They were so quick to grab this guy, but meanwhile Suthep gets to run about, stir things up, incite and provoke yet not report for his warrant because he is "too busy". Alice in Land of Smiles.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He is not Thai. He used to get elected to the GC of RBSC under the foreign quota. Perhaps that is why he never applied for Thai nationality. Doesn't seem much point in remaining Indian if you live your life in Thailand. They can get INO status which means they right of abode and can buy land in India.

Since he has Thai PR the decision to deport him is not up to CMPO or the

DG of Immigration. It has to go to the Immigration Commission which is senior officials from different govt agencies who make a recommendation to the Interior Minister.

Satish will certainly have retired police generals he knows from RBSC and the Indian Embassy rooting for him. He won't get deported but it will cost him.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Australian citizens can't be deported. Full stop.

Only if it has been shown that they have obtained that citizenship fraduently. Other than that, the have every right to enter Australia without restriction.

Australian citizens may, in certain cases, be denied passports for travel, but that is a totally seperate issue.

I would beg to differ.

From the Australian Government website - there is a whole heap of stuff about application fraud and prior convictions, but there is also this catch-all

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/losing_citizenship/

• it would be contrary to the public interest for you to remain an Australian citizen.

This has been used in the past to deport people who were convicted of SERIOUS crimes after becoming a citizen.

Do I believe this guy has committed a serious crime and needs to be deported? Maybe not. But the measure is not up to me. I am just saying that it can be done and has precedent, at least in some countries.

If per the article he is truly a Thai citizen, as it appears he states then they cannot deport him, and if they do it is a violation of international human rights......PTP democracy in action again it seems

The article does not state that he is a Thai citizen. It states that he has lived in Thailand for 50 years. Many foreigners can reside in Thailand for decades but not take out Thai citizenship. It would be nice to have an actual definitive statement as to whether or not he is an actual bonafide Thai national.

If he is, then yes you are correct. However, if he is not, then he can go bye bye.

Australian citizens can't be deported. Full stop.

Only if it has been shown that they have obtained that citizenship fraduently. Other than that, the have every right to enter Australia without restriction.

Australian citizens may, in certain cases, be denied passports for travel, but that is a totally seperate issue.

I would beg to differ.

From the Australian Government website - there is a whole heap of stuff about application fraud and prior convictions, but there is also this catch-all

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/losing_citizenship/

• it would be contrary to the public interest for you to remain an Australian citizen.

This has been used in the past to deport people who were convicted of SERIOUS crimes after becoming a citizen.

Do I believe this guy has committed a serious crime and needs to be deported? Maybe not. But the measure is not up to me. I am just saying that it can be done and has precedent, at least in some countries.

I think a full quote from that page is required.

Revoking citizenship

If you became a citizen by application you can have your citizenship taken away if you are found to have committed a serious criminal offence prior to gaining citizenship. Australian citizenship can be revoked if:

• you have been convicted of making a false statement or representation in relation to your application to become an Australian citizen
  • you are convicted of a serious criminal offence at any time prior to becoming a citizen involving a sentence of 12 months or more
  • your approval to become an Australian citizen was gained as a result of migration-related fraud
  • your approval to become an Australian citizen was gained as a result of third party fraud; for example, fraudulent conduct by a migration agent in the citizenship application

An Australian citizen by birth cannot have their Australian citizenship revoked. Similarly, a person conferred citizenship, after fully disclosing all relevant factors, cannot have their Australian citizenship revoked.

People who have their citizenship revoked can be removed from Australia.

In this case again they are REVOKING the citizenship and as you are no longer an Australian Citizen you must leave. Due process must be followed for this.

Edited by harrry

So special laws for Indians ?

He was warned like all foregners .

Thai leaders/voters were not arrested ,yet as the Police and government stated it may exacerbate the tensions.

If this guy was so well respected/connected it could not happen ,I hope his supporters have deep pockets.Good riddance to law breakers they only make lifeharder for us who play by the rules,the foreign drug dealers pimps boiler room scammers,if you can't do the time don't do the crime,I am minded the authorities are sufficently corrupt that he'll pay off and shut up if he knows what's good for him ,Lord Buddha was Nepalese and Indians are pretty near the bottom in Thai thinking as anyone familiar with local "nicknames" jek,kek and falang will know..

50 years here with a Thai family and he's still a foreigner? Wake up and smell the coffee Jack,... you're as bad as the lynching mob in calling for him to hang!

Great to see that you are a "play by the rules" kinda guy,... what would the world do without such pillars of virtue such as you?

If the courts decide that standing on stage speaking on economics and not protesting in being against the Govt then is he not like a newspaper being read but people hear his voice. if you follow my drift then the Govt declaring it is unlawful to speak out could backfire on them. I do agree that all foreigners warned not to join the protest but if one does not protest but provide information that is readily available then does he have a case.

i think that India not accepting dual nationalty made him choose India as being his first priority not Thailand for business reasons

He stood on stage and spoke at a protest, what he spoke about is irrelevant.

He took part in a protest, we had all been warned not to.

Standing on a stage is illegal.

This is a bit of legal minefield I fear.

Standing on a stage is not illegal. It is what you incite whilst standing on that stage which is illegal.

• Like 1

If the courts decide that standing on stage speaking on economics and not protesting in being against the Govt then is he not like a newspaper being read but people hear his voice. if you follow my drift then the Govt declaring it is unlawful to speak out could backfire on them. I do agree that all foreigners warned not to join the protest but if one does not protest but provide information that is readily available then does he have a case.

i think that India not accepting dual nationalty made him choose India as being his first priority not Thailand for business reasons

Standing on a stage is not illegal. It is what you incite whilst standing on that stage which is illegal.

Only after due process in a court has decided that.

Stupid CMPO. Details, details. I wouldn't mess with the chairman of the business association. Threatening him with deportation will just ioen a can of worms. He represents a lot of investment for Thailand and although he may not hold a Thai passport, he and his family have been good standing residents and/or citizens. From a damage control standpoint the Thai government just continues to waste time, energy and money for the wrong reasons. Idiots.

What you say is a clear double standard. If he is important don't mess with him... So then let's not complain about corruption...

Ummm..corruption?! It's all in the context that you make trouble with one guy while trying to make an example to others. You chose a guy who represents a group of respectable businessmen, contributors to society. What corruption are you talking about relating to this Indian dude?

...speaking for himself....he never participated in any anti-government activities....

...unless they have proof to the contrary...aside from dancing or waving a flag....this is a racist....and...fascist act...

post-122647-0-77355500-1391607640_thumb.

Stupid CMPO. Details, details. I wouldn't mess with the chairman of the business association. Threatening him with deportation will just ioen a can of worms. He represents a lot of investment for Thailand and although he may not hold a Thai passport, he and his family have been good standing residents and/or citizens. From a damage control standpoint the Thai government just continues to waste time, energy and money for the wrong reasons. Idiots.

Ridiculous contention.

The USA embassy write something from 6000iles away and they get told to f'off and stop interfering.

But because he is a "khon dee",,everyone must bow and scrape. It is precisely this dual nature of the legal system that is the problem.

The clever thing would be to change the law to confer more rights on long stayers.

Not sure what your argument is. This has nothing to do with outside governments or statements from governments. I'm simply addressing the stupidity of these government officials chosing their fights and their reasoning for it.

I seem to recall reading long ago that the "Thai" people are an ethnic group that moved down here from China, displacing the darker skinned (usually) natives. So how about deporting all of them while we are at it? More chicken poop silliness. They were so quick to grab this guy, but meanwhile Suthep gets to run about, stir things up, incite and provoke yet not report for his warrant because he is "too busy". Alice in Land of Smiles.

That would mean deporting the entire Bangkok elite.

So you are saying he is powerful and one of the elite so let him be? The same goes for the redbull guy. don't interfere with the upper class let them do as they want, who cares if they are involved in corruption, who care if they are involved in criminal activity. Don't rock the boat

Oh my. I must have misread this article. Where did it say that he ran over and killed cop in his Ferrari or was partaking in corruption? I thought this was a 'prominent' business man? From the Indian community or not, the fact is Uncle Chalerm decided to make an example of a guy who represents a group in the business community that promotes trade between two nations.

I think Uncle Chalerm ought to look at his own brood of thugs including his son who killed a cop at the Chaophraya Hotel club years ago and fled like the wind to Cambodia.

Thailand is such the land of double standards including your post. You clearly don't understand the essence of this particular situation.

So you are saying he is powerful and one of the elite so let him be? The same goes for the redbull guy. don't interfere with the upper class let them do as they want, who cares if they are involved in corruption, who care if they are involved in criminal activity. Don't rock the boat

Oh my. I must have misread this article. Where did it say that he ran over and killed cop in his Ferrari or was partaking in corruption? I thought this was a 'prominent' business man? From the Indian community or not, the fact is Uncle Chalerm decided to make an example of a guy who represents a group in the business community that promotes trade between two nations.

I think Uncle Chalerm ought to look at his own brood of thugs including his son who killed a cop at the Chaophraya Hotel club years ago and fled like the wind to Cambodia.

Thailand is such the land of double standards including your post. You clearly don't understand the essence of this particular situation.

wow you twisted, <deleted>=4ed up and destroyed my post that I don't even know what I said. Mate you are on some excellent <deleted>.

No matter what people think, you can never hide your race as an Indian even if you live in Thailand for a hundred years, A Thai is a Thai and an Indian is an Indian.

A person can change his passport or citizenship but you can never hide or change your racial origin.

The same thing goes to the Shinawatra clan who aspires to rule and control Thailand and the Thais with the help and support of the Chinese whom Thaksin showed allegiance by visiting his father's hometown and acknowledging his Chinese bloodline.

wow you twisted, <deleted>=4ed up and destroyed my post that I don't even know what I said. Mate you are on some excellent <deleted>.

Sorry bro. I drank too much coffee today.

What you say is a clear double standard. If he is important don't mess with him... So then let's not complain about corruption...

Ummm..corruption?! It's all in the context that you make trouble with one guy while trying to make an example to others. You chose a guy who represents a group of respectable businessmen, contributors to society. What corruption are you talking about relating to this Indian dude?

Ok, let me explain better.

You say this is something like make trouble with one guy to make an example to others? That;s your assumption, I call it differently.

I say the guy was not careful and broken an Immigration Police order. And MAYBE (have to see if will happen still) will pay for it.

Right? He was on stage, not one but many times, that should show that he was willing to be part of the protest and supposedly a leader.

What I meant then is many people complains of double standards in this country, then we should treat Mr. Satish differently, from any other foreigner, because he was an important businessman? Because wealthy and did good to Thailand before?

I'd say: no thanks. I would like to know everyone is treated in the same way. Like it happened back in 2010, alright? Those silly guys, protested on stage (the Aussie) and shout violent nonsense on the street (the Brit) and they were deported. GOOD!

Let's make the rules work for everyone not depending on position, wealth, or nationality, or even from how long they stayed in Thailand because that fixes a double standard.

My comparison with corruption is that for many posters here, seems that if it's made from their political side have to proof, is not that much, only few did it, but if on the other side, please kill them'all... Double standard here too if you can see.

And please don't put in the cauldron Suthep and Chalerm, as I am not taking sides and not mentioned any of both sides in my writing.

That's all. Hope it is clear now.

That would mean deporting the entire Bangkok elite.

True, I wonder how many people in Thailand can claim to be 100% Thai, whatever defines that.

The majority have some mix of blood as far as I can make out.

"But Satish questioned the alleged charges saying although he joined the protest stage of the PDRC several times, he never touched on political issues but economical and business issues."

Well maybe just a tad economical with the truth there. This is not likely to help his "defence" if you could call it that

"This is not democracy. It is autocracy... it is a one-man rule," said one of the rally leaders, Satish Sehgal.

"There's massive, rampant corruption in this country. Nepotism. Our objective is to try and get rid of all this," he

said after leading several thousand demonstrators to mass outside the customs department.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/thai-opposition/954028.html

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

Thai leaders/voters were not arrested ,yet as the Police and government stated it may exacerbate the tensions.

If this guy was so well respected/connected it could not happen ,I hope his supporters have deep pockets.Good riddance to law breakers they only make lifeharder for us who play by the rules,the foreign drug dealers pimps boiler room scammers,if you can't do the time don't do the crime,I am minded the authorities are sufficently corrupt that he'll pay off and shut up if he knows what's good for him ,Lord Buddha was Nepalese and Indians are pretty near the bottom in Thai thinking as anyone familiar with local "nicknames" jek,kek and falang will know..

Did you not think that being an Indian citizen is an important criteria in having the title of Thai-India business association. Would you not agree that if you are taking the interests of Thai business over to India, being Indian would be advantageous in a country full of Indian citizens? Good riddance to law breakers!!! Really, i mean are you seriously putting this guy in the same bracket as foreign drug dealers pimps boiler room scammers? I do believe you are of your nut my friend.

What law did he break? I mean not some announcement from the government but an actual law.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thai protestors shut down electricity of a hospital, close down roads for several weeks, police officer gets killed in riots with the mob, protestor storm ministries and government house, protestors prevent election in many places, pro-democracy protestor gets shot, mob beats up a taxi driver, bombs are thrown at the protestors, gunmen shoot at the mob, attempt by protestors to bomb themselves to trigger coup, etc, etc, etc ...

Government and police response to all of this anarchy: well, nothing, basically.

One Thai-Indian guy, a foreigner, gets on a stage and expresses his political opinions:

government takes it very serious and tries to throw him out of the country.

Enjoy your life in the banana republic,

where foreigners rank below monitor lizards in the hierarchy of connections and corruption.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

Can you please prove to us that he is not a Thai citizen?
No country can ever 'deport' it's own citizen. If he was a citizen, they would have used the word 'exile'. In any case it was widely reported in the media, and a simple google search will provide you all the details you need. He is 70yrs old, claims to have come here as a young child but never taken citizenship in the 50+ years he has been here.

Citizens, can be deported. You are confusing a citizen with a national.

My wife is now an Australian citizen, but if she broke the law she could be deported back to Thailand.

I don't care if this guy stays or goes and am not choosing sides, just clarifying a point.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

True, but I believe they would have to revoke her citizenship first. Which, although technically possible at any point ("contrary to the national interest" or some shit), is in reality only a possibility if they find out she lied on the application, or committed some serious crime at some point in time before citizenship was granted.

Specifically, she can not be deported for criminal activity. So you can let her know that she's cool to start breaking the law now.

www.citizenship.gov.au/current/losing_citizenship/

By "national", I'm guessing you mean folks with citizenship-by-birth. Since that can't be revoked, those people can't be deported.

Edited by cocopops

What law did he break? I mean not some announcement from the government but an actual law.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just read along the thread, you will find a post where a moderator wrote about an article of the Immigration Act. ;)

I don't understand.and all the fuzz. The guy is a foreigner and not a Thai and therefore a guest in this country. Nothing more and guest have to follow the host's rules. Is like in your home if a guest is not following what you say you will ask him to leave. He/.shem could. Not claim that he was siting on your sofa for a long time.

Staying here for a long time does not make you a Thai. Especially Indians they never assimilate they always stay as Indian. Even after generation they will be still Indians, wearing their traditional dress, talking in their native language hardly mix with other races. How many Indian do you know getting married to Thai.

5 days or 5 years no difference don't break orders by the government. If you do face the consequences. He was knowing what he did.

Btw I don't thing that he as a director of the chamber of commerce is representing the Indian industry's opinion.

I quote The Nation of to-day

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Im-Indian-but-I-represented-Thailand-in-talks-with-30226134.html

Sathit Segal, a former president of Thai-Indian Business Association, meanwhile, said he immediately stopped speaking from the rally stage after the state of emergency was invoked last month.
"I'm perplexed to learn from the media that the government wants me deported. I do not understand this because what I said on stage was about loyalty to the monarch and the country. I have never criticised the government or the prime minister," Sathit said.

UNQUOTE

So here we have a foreigner who joins an anti-government protest movement to preach to Thai people about loyalty to their country and to their King ...in Western Europe we call this "trying to be more Catholic than the Pope"

Well they will have to check in every word.

He claims he said he was anti corruption and pro reform. I think they would rather have it that being that its illegal to attend. That's what the immigration sign says.

So now is it or is it not illegal to attend?

I don't understand.and all the fuzz. The guy is a foreigner and not a Thai and therefore a guest in this country. Nothing more and guest have to follow the host's rules. Is like in your home if a guest is not following what you say you will ask him to leave. He/.shem could. Not claim that he was siting on your sofa for a long time.

Staying here for a long time does not make you a Thai. Especially Indians they never assimilate they always stay as Indian. Even after generation they will be still Indians, wearing their traditional dress, talking in their native language hardly mix with other races. How many Indian do you know getting married to Thai.

5 days or 5 years no difference don't break orders by the government. If you do face the consequences. He was knowing what he did.

Btw I don't thing that he as a director of the chamber of commerce is representing the Indian industry's opinion.

You should re-quote the bit about staying here a long time does not make you Thai, as a lot of farangs actually be be live it does and even makes them thaier than thai

• Like 1