Shutdown Positives?

JusMe

I've just begun wondering if underneath all the chaos and anarchy and violence, there might be some positives in the basic fact of government shutdown.

The Americans don't seem to have figured it out from theirs. Perhaps it didn't last long enough.

And I doubt many other nationalities would, either, but can't remember others having the opportunity.

Will there be some Thais who figure out that despite so many government departments being shut down, their own lives are functioning and moving ahead as they were before?

Yes, some government functions are essential, such as passport issuance, and basic law, and customs, etc.

But with so many bureaucrats being inactive, despite occupying active positions, will enough Thais figure out that many many more bureaucrats should become inactive and sent off to actually work to earn a living?

Decrease the size of the interfering government?

with the massive police force off the streets i havent noticed much of a change

thats a department where you could fire 75% and nobody would notice the differnce

except the remaining 25% who might actually have to <deleted> work instead of hanging out in

pool halls or playing cards in bars when theyre "working " in the middle of the day

Edited by speedtripler

I wonder how well the Farmer's lives are moving forward with the govment shutdown ?

Not so good, my mom and dad are still waiting to be paid for their rice they sold to the government.

However, if the shutdown had occurred before the implementation of that abhorrent scheme, ….

What I'm asking is not the simplistic view of how a few minor things seemed to be good during the shutdown, but if Thais can see through it to the fact that they could be much better off without the heavy load of much of the government.

The American shutdown wasn't long enough nor clear enough for Americans to come to the realization. I don't know of any people who has.

I do know that after every Canadian election, the cabinet grows, more departments expand, bureaucrats extend their empires, all despite political promises before the election. We've got agencies overseeing agencies which are investigating other agencies!

Societies do need some government, but will any citizens realize that perhaps a minimalist government could serve them best, a localized and much smaller (and less expensive) government?

Thais have the chance at the moment. Anyone think they might see through the chaos and try for some minimalization after they figure out that they didn't use most of the government services during it, and a lot of the trouble has been caused by the government itself!

I wonder how well the Farmer's lives are moving forward with the govment shutdown ?

Not so good, my mom and dad are still waiting to be paid for their rice they sold to the government.

However, if the shutdown had occurred before the implementation of that abhorrent scheme, ….

What I'm asking is not the simplistic view of how a few minor things seemed to be good during the shutdown, but if Thais can see through it to the fact that they could be much better off without the heavy load of much of the government.

The American shutdown wasn't long enough nor clear enough for Americans to come to the realization. I don't know of any people who has.

I do know that after every Canadian election, the cabinet grows, more departments expand, bureaucrats extend their empires, all despite political promises before the election. We've got agencies overseeing agencies which are investigating other agencies!

Societies do need some government, but will any citizens realize that perhaps a minimalist government could serve them best, a localized and much smaller (and less expensive) government?

Thais have the chance at the moment. Anyone think they might see through the chaos and try for some minimalization after they figure out that they didn't use most of the government services during it, and a lot of the trouble has been caused by the government itself!

I get your point, but Thais aren't known for their efficiency. I am not sure having less bureaucracies would do them any good. Beside what is the alternative for those whose job will be eliminated? Go find farang husband?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Somsrisonphimai

I would say less tourists. Unfortunately, Chiang Mai is buried in tourists at the moment.

Are people not allowed to come on holiday and experience Thailand. Thailand certainly welcomes their presence and their satang. When you first came I expect it was as a tourist though you will probably have some other long winded reason.

Really we are all tourists here.

• Like 1

I was around asok last night bar hoping, less noisy smog-spewing traffic so when you sit at that outdoor garden near koreatown it is more pleasant, less traffic down sukhumvit where i live, the Siam area turns into a big festival with vendors everywhere, i'd say that the 'protesters' are in the minority especially at night( in the daytime there are virtually no protesters, just guards and stages) and most are just people out for the night like me, this is a big production that costs 10million baht a day according to the papers, it's a free nationalistic festival hosted by the Bangkok money elite complete with free food for thai's and live music.

I was around asok last night bar hoping, less noisy smog-spewing traffic so when you sit at that outdoor garden near koreatown it is more pleasant, less traffic down sukhumvit where i live, the Siam area turns into a big festival with vendors everywhere, i'd say that the 'protesters' are in the minority especially at night( in the daytime there are virtually no protesters, just guards and stages) and most are just people out for the night like me, this is a big production that costs 10million baht a day according to the papers, it's a free nationalistic festival hosted by the Bangkok money elite complete with free food for thai's and live music.

That sounds great for the short term.. But what happens long term? What are the plans for the future if the present (albeit caretaker) government is forced out? Who will fill the void, and what agenda will they bring to the table? Stop corruption? Stop floods? Stop the poverty? These have all been tried before with the same results and that won't change in the foreseeable future regardless of who is in power.

But more to the point, how long would the new government remain in control before some power monger, with his own agenda, decides to protest to the point where they defy the laws of the land and attempts to oust them from seat?

As to what good has it done for Thailand, I hope you can see further than imagined pollution improvement, free food and music on your nights out. This is not a dig at you personally pkspeaker, please don't take it as such, but your impression seems to be the observations of many, nothing changed...............sad.png

• Like 2

That sounds great for the short term.. But what happens long term? What are the plans for the future if the present (albeit caretaker) government is forced out? Who will fill the void, and what agenda will they bring to the table? Stop corruption? Stop floods? Stop the poverty? These have all been tried before with the same results and that won't change in the foreseeable future regardless of who is in power.

But more to the point, how long would the new government remain in control before some power monger, with his own agenda, decides to protest to the point where they defy the laws of the land and attempts to oust them from seat?

As to what good has it done for Thailand, I hope you can see further than imagined pollution improvement, free food and music on your nights out. This is not a dig at you personally pkspeaker, please don't take it as such, but your impression seems to be the observations of many, nothing changed...............sad.png

There are Farang who actually believe in Suthep !

WOW

pkspeaker ; Richard Barrow tells us not to be fooled by the party atmosphere and stay away from protest, bombs don't discriminate.

• Like 1

First understand that the American government shutdown was due solely to a congressional opposition political party not supporting a raise in the nation's debt ceiling that would have paid government civil service and military wages, and government interest on its treasury bonds. That party was holding approval of the debt ceiling as hostage for the repeal of a healthcare insurance program. The shutdown lasted two weeks and cost the country $24 billion. Americans found the shutdown to be an intolerable disruption in their lives and even the party that caused the shutdown complained about the problems it created. The debt ceiling was passed without the repeal of the healthcare insurance program and all government employees were paid retroactively. All the activities related to the shutdown and reconciliation were conducted within the Constitution. The opposition party did not leave the congress nor proceed with an insurrection to force the President and his party to vacate the government.

Well ...the baht has weakened ....so good for when I exchange money!

Because you'll need more baht as prices rise because of distribution problems and because imported items cost more in baht terms.

And if things return to "normal" and you go back to getting fewer baht for your foreign exchange, those prices will most likely not go back down again.

Amen to that! Last year it was 28/29thb per dollar and now its nearly 33... So for every $1,000 your pullin out of the atm, you have a little bonus of 4,000thb which is plenty for a respectful night out. Thanks Suthep wai2.gif

Because you'll need more baht as prices rise because of distribution problems and because imported items cost more in baht terms.

And if things return to "normal" and you go back to getting fewer baht for your foreign exchange, those prices will most likely not go back down again.

I dont like your tone mr negative nancy. lol. just enjoy it while it lasts.

- Easy to walk from MBK to Central World with lots of opportunities to eat and snack.

- Good opportunity for Thais to make an extra buck by selling either food or apparal / accessories.

- Picking up good deals. My GF bought some nice Barbie like dolls for 100 baht each.

- Free concerts.