Good New Bar/Restaurant In Nongprue

patsfangr

The owners of the old 'Rendezvous' Restaurant on Mabprachan Lake have relocated to a much more convenient spot for those of us on the Darkside. The owners are Paul (Holland) and his wife Sa (Thai). I've eaten there 4 times, and I haven't been disappointed with any of the 4 different menu items I've tried: Fish and Chips, BBQ Pork Ribs, Croquette with Tomato Soup, Cheeseburger. All were, IMO, well above average for this area, and the Cheeseburger was one of the best I've had here. The menu is extensive (western and Thai), so I've got a long way to go to get through trying all of the items that appeal to me.

It's located on the north side of the bend in Nernplubwarn (Muslim Road), about 700 meters up from the temple (Wat Suttawat) at the east end of the road. It's directly across from the car wash; so it's a good opportunity to get your car washed while having lunch. :-) Parking for a few cars inside their gate; or you can pull around corner, and park alongside the road.

As I said, it is a "bar/restaurant". There's a small bar, plus a pool table, if you just want to drop in and check the place out. For dining, there are a few tables both inside, and on the attractive, off the road, outside patio area. Both Paul and Sa are very friendly folks, who will make you feel welcome, and are happy to hear your opinions and/or suggestions on their food.

I just met Paul and Sa for the first time when I stopped in to check the place out a couple of weeks ago; so this is a totally objective opinion and report.

George... Is the name still Rendezvous? Do they have air con? What are the hours?

Basic info like this would be nice to get in these restaurant reports. Also, don't forget to add it to the Darkside dining thread.

OOPS! Major miss by me there. Thanks for the catch, OMGIminPattaya.

The name is now "Cheers", and that is displayed prominently on a large sign that extends over the sidewalk beside the gate. Really hard to miss it at that turn.

With the weather as cool as it's been, there has been no need for aircon in the early afternoon hours that I've been there. They have several fans inside which make it quite comfortable. Now, I have to add that I did not see any aircon equipement in there. That could become an issue when we get to the hot months ahead. But the place is large enough to get by with it, I believe.

I've never seen the point of a review/report that doesn't include some indication of prices.

What can I say? Prices are consistent with any decent Farang restaurant around here for the western food in a nice facility. The Thai food is just a tiny bit above what you'd pay at a Thai mom and pop shack.

The key for me is that, IMO, the quality and quantity of the food served makes it a definite value. The beer is also pretty standard for this area. I believe it was 60 baht for a Tiger.

Tried it recently very average food not good enough to go again.

Prices were higher than warranted by the quantity/quality.

Service was good and place is nicely done out with quality furnishings just need to get a better chef.

Edited by chaiyapoon

George... Is the name still Rendezvous? Do they have air con? What are the hours?

Basic info like this would be nice to get in these restaurant reports. Also, don't forget to add it to the Darkside dining thread.

OOPS! Major miss by me there. Thanks for the catch, OMGIminPattaya.

The name is now "Cheers", and that is displayed prominently on a large sign that extends over the sidewalk beside the gate. Really hard to miss it at that turn.

With the weather as cool as it's been, there has been no need for aircon in the early afternoon hours that I've been there. They have several fans inside which make it quite comfortable. Now, I have to add that I did not see any aircon equipement in there. That could become an issue when we get to the hot months ahead. But the place is large enough to get by with it, I believe.

Ok...so it is the old Rung Thip/Huge Food location, for people who remember those places. Wish me luck...there's some established competition now with Courtyard, Holland (both locations), and Lucky Time in the immediate vacinity. Unless they have some unique cuisine or really good food, it's going to be tough.

Tried the new Nai &Ten place...cheap prices...makes me scared of the food quality. Think this place is more aimed at the local Thais.

Prices are consistent with any decent Farang restaurant around here for the western food in a nice facility. The Thai food is just a tiny bit above what you'd pay at a Thai mom and pop shack.

The problem with Pattaya is that often enough prices in farang places arent consistent at all. I've eaten very good farang dishes for 150B or less and I've also had very bad dishes for double that. And the quality of the service and surroundings is often better in the cheaper places to boot.

The beer is also pretty standard for this area. I believe it was 60 baht for a Tiger.

Well, that's certainly a price and as such enables one to compare. The darkside place I go to for Sunday lunch (150B) charges 55-60B for a large beer but I know that is below average.

• Like 1

The Cheers guy had the bar (Cheers) next to the Rendezvous restaurant. At some point in time he rented the restaurant I think. That Cheers bar is now another name, last time I was in the Rendezvous bar the restaurant was closed due to staffing issues. The ever changing world of the Dark/Lake-side.

I stopped in there just recently during the day to grab a quick bite of Kaprow gai and when they told me it was 100+ thb I said thank you and walked out.

Of course maybe it was something very special but I was looking for what I then went and got for 35thb just up the street and had no complaints.

I've never seen the point of a review/report that doesn't include some indication of prices.

What can I say? Prices are consistent with any decent Farang restaurant around here for the western food in a nice facility. The Thai food is just a tiny bit above what you'd pay at a Thai mom and pop shack.

The key for me is that, IMO, the quality and quantity of the food served makes it a definite value. The beer is also pretty standard for this area. I believe it was 60 baht for a Tiger.

Try 3x the price... not even close to tiny bit imho.

If you want good farang food for a very fair price try the Noisy Cow on Soi Khow Noi. They have quite an extensive menu to please most.

If you want good farang food for a very fair price try the Noisy Cow on Soi Khow Noi. They have quite an extensive menu to please most.

Where is the Noisy Cow on soi Khao Noi? I can't find any info on that restaurant.

Where is the Noisy Cow on soi Khao Noi? I can't find any info on that restaurant.

Never mind, found it. Had a pork burger and chips for 140 baht, can't say I was impressed.

Never mind, found it. Had a pork burger and chips for 140 baht, can't say I was impressed.

Personally I really like their chicken cordon blue. It's like 140thb or so and is quite a large portion. I have not tried all the menu so can't comment on everything but I've been pleased with what I have tried as well as the friends I brought there have been happy. Of course, different tastes for different folks.

I will say they are usually pretty busy with foreigners if you can take that as any sort of a sign.

Wow...a whole B140; I'm surprised you ever pay more than B35 for a dish!

35-45thb is what kaprow goes for. If you are paying much more than that be my guest.

Cordon blue is a totally different thing altogether. Not sure what you point is trying to compare them. Or are you trying to say since I feel cheated paying 3x the price for a plate of the same food I can get next door that means I won't spend money on food?

35-45thb is what kaprow goes for. If you are paying much more than that be my guest.

Cordon blue is a totally different thing altogether. Not sure what you point is trying to compare them. Or are you trying to say since I feel cheated paying 3x the price for a plate of the same food I can get next door that means I won't spend money on food?

It's just that you were so put-off by the price of that "expensive" kaprow that I thought that B35 was some kind of limit for you or something..

Tell me, is your 35 baht krapow place air-conditioned? Is that price just for stir fried krapow or do you get rice with it? Is it krapow gai, moo, nua, kung? Does it include an egg in top? These are all factors when considering the price of krapow to me...probably why one place was more expensive than the other.

Actually I believe a pad krapow in Carrefour Extra's food court is about 35-45 baht. That includes both rice and air-con and regardless of what it's made of. Egg on top is another 5 baht or so. It is a known fact and understandable that Farang food in Thailand is generally more expensive than Thai food.

Now can we get back to discussing restaurants in Nongprue?

It's just that you were so put-off by the price of that "expensive" kaprow that I thought that B35 was some kind of limit for you or something..

Tell me, is your 35 baht krapow place air-conditioned? Is that price just for stir fried krapow or do you get rice with it? Is it krapow gai, moo, nua, kung? Does it include an egg in top? These are all factors when considering the price of krapow to me...probably why one place was more expensive than the other.

I think you might add "cleanliness" to that list; as well as service. Both get high grades from me at "Cheers". As for the prices, they lease this very nice facility for what I'm sure is a price a lot higher than some little shop house dive. That has to be covered in the price of the food if the place is to survive.

One other note of importance for me in restaurants. Both Paul and Sa will willingly listen to, and often seek your honest opinion of their food, definitely including constructive criticism. They are really trying to make this place a local success, and they care about their customers. Every time I've been there (5 times now) I've had a different menu item; and every time either Paul or Sa (or both) make it a point to ask for my opinion, and for any suggestions I may have. Personally, I'm much more comfortable with that than with a place that just throws the food on your table, and walks away; returning only when you catch their eye, or shout at them across the room for "Check bin".

If none of what I've mentioned here matters to you, it's probably best that you stick with eating in little shop houses. There's nothing wrong with that choice. It just isn't my choice.

I think you might add "cleanliness" to that list; as well as service. Both get high grades from me at "Cheers". As for the prices, they lease this very nice facility for what I'm sure is a price a lot higher than some little shop house dive. That has to be covered in the price of the food if the place is to survive.

One other note of importance for me in restaurants. Both Paul and Sa will willingly listen to, and often seek your honest opinion of their food, definitely including constructive criticism. They are really trying to make this place a local success, and they care about their customers. Every time I've been there (5 times now) I've had a different menu item; and every time either Paul or Sa (or both) make it a point to ask for my opinion, and for any suggestions I may have. Personally, I'm much more comfortable with that than with a place that just throws the food on your table, and walks away; returning only when you catch their eye, or shout at them across the room for "Check bin".

If none of what I've mentioned here matters to you, it's probably best that you stick with eating in little shop houses. There's nothing wrong with that choice. It just isn't my choice.

For 35 baht, more likely it was a food cart!

Stir fried chicken kaprow over rice... the fried egg is 5thb extra. The place is not A/C but neither was Cheers when I went there.

And it was certainly a restaurant that is in a tripple size shophouse on the same road, has tables/chairs and keeps regular hours.

I should also add that I get fine service from the places I frequent and that is from 100% thai owned and operated joints. Maybe that's cause I speak Thai to them. I don't need a farang or his wife running a restaurant to make me feel welcome.

Different strokes for different folks.

To get back on topic... there is a great Thai restaurant that is open from like 5pm-2am on the East side of the Vientenne resturant on Soi Nern Plub Wan. I eat there quite often and never have complaints. Mind you, it's not a western menu so I do go there looking for burgers and other non thai dishes.

Edited by Jayman