17 Inch Laptop?

rogerdee123

I'm in a neighboring country and need a new 17 inch laptop.

Not necessarily for media or graphics but prefer the big screen ... mostly for desktop use. I don't care how much it weighs. I have another I travel with.

On the net I've seen HP Pavillion dv8000 & Toshiba Satellite M65 which meet my specs. The HP has dual hard drives which would be handy.

Anyone know if these or comparable are available in Bangkok at Panthip or elsewhere.

I've looked at the Bangkok web sites for HP and Toshiba but I think they don't update them regularly.

I remember seeing Sony & Acer notebooks with big screens being sold in Thailand. Don't recall seen a big-screen HP.

I don't see the advantage of a notebook over a desktop, if you want a big screen and don't need to travel with it. I remember my friend's big-screen sony... the screen *was* nice, but it was a *pain* to upgrade. With a desktop, you can get a *really* good system and a huge 24" LCD for less than the price of that notebook. If you are going for a notebook, at least look for one that has the new expresscard slot, or maybe eSATA and HDMI.

Edited by Firefoxx

I would go for the Toshiba, actually I already did. High performance, great design, high quality.

Toshiba do have great designs and are fully equipped. Higher prices are common here than in the US -the lifespan of a Toshibe is a lot to be desired. To many issues i had during the past 5 years on Toshibas. And even worse, their Service .....

You'll be better and cheaper of with another Brand but Toshiba ...altough the qosmio still looks tempting....but is in fact crap...same as it's predecessor the P25...

rcm :o

Edited by rcm

anyway, if money it's no problem, I would sure go for an Alienware, that's real hardcore, too bad they don't have any shops in Thailand :o

If money isnt a problem the macbook pro 17'' is really a nice laptop :

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...nclm=MacBookPro

With bootcamp (free from apple ) you can install windows xp along with macosX so if you are

disapointed by osx you can still go back to xp.

Just got the MacBook Pro 17" myself, and if you really want/need the big laptop, it is hard to beat. It doesn't have dual hard drives, but it has a dual-layer dvd burner internal.

Boot Camp (for dual-booting) is nice if you are a gamer, but the flexibility of Parallels Workstation to have a full-speed, non-virtualized Windows when you need it is much more attractive to me.

While the MBP is beautiful and great quality, like all 17" laptops, antually putting it on your lap will quickly result in cramps.

Personally, I went the 17" route because they run much cooler on the surface than smaller laptops, although I do like having a more compact 12" around as well.

Thanks for the good advice and input ...

I have desktops and other big screens and other notebooks ... believe me I've thought about all this and I want the 17 inch laptop to use as a desktop for this application ... mainly because of power (i.e poor electricity) issues .. OK I know someone is going to say get a UPS, so before that happens I'll also say I've got several UPS systems and also intend to use a UPS with this laptop.

I also have some Macs (and prefer them) and I've now got a friend in the US trying to run my accounting program on his intel Mac running bootcamp. But it doesn't just need to run it has to work on a Lan and has to read/write to external disk drives formatted for Pee Cee's. And before someone advises me that a Mac can read and write to PeeCee formatted HDs .. rest assured I know to what extent that works and doesn't work and it sometimes doesn't work.

But anyway ... don't mean to sound testy .. really I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks :D

Also thanks for the advice re the Toshiba.

Does anyone know if the 17 inch HP dv8000 (or variations thereof) is available at Panthip? Otherwise I'll have to spend the extra money and go to Singapore to get it :o