Thai traffic police to get tough with truckers after accident kills 1

webfact

Traffic police to get tough with truckers after accident kills 1
The Nation

30226254-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok traffic police plan stringent enforcement of traffic laws on truckers following a recent accident in which a loaded container from a truck fell from a tollway onto a van below and killed the van driver.

Police Maj-General Chirasan Kaewsaeng-ek, commander of Traffic Police, said yesterday he had instructed traffic police officers on elevated and normal roads to punish motorists and the commercial trucks that were guilty of violations like driving recklessly; driving at illegal speeds; using trailer trucks with deteriorated links; and those carrying loads beyond permissible weight and height.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-07

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Considering that many trucks in Thailand have faulty Twist-Locks that secure the container to the truck frame, and/or the Twist-Locks are not actually locked by the driver, this sort of <deleted> is bound to happen.

Only 10% of the Thai truck fleet would pass a safety inspection. And that may be a hopeful exaggeration. coffee1.gif

less than 10% would pass any modern pollution emmisons test either

same for the bkk buses

• Like 1

Last days i 've seen the police very busy with this on the highways in BKK. They are on every highway lately and stop all the big trucks. Those sand or concrete-trucks ruin all the roads in my area. They are full of big cracks where a motorcycle wheel easy fits in the crack. Also the drainlids all break by their heavy weight.

Also i see truckers driving the fast lane full speed no matter when or what they just want to go fast. Good that the Police is working on this.

re

instructed traffic police officers on elevated and normal roads to punish motorists and the commercial trucks that were guilty of violations like driving recklessly; driving at illegal speeds; using trailer trucks with deteriorated links; and those carrying loads beyond permissible weight and height.

and bald tyres ?

dave2

Those tyres have the semblance of tread remaining. I've seen worse.

I got the biggest shock seeing a brand spanking new Hino with a full set of knackered bald and mismatched tyres. The mind boggles as to where the new original tyres wound up - probably fitted to an old broken down heap of a 1972 Mercedes L-Series somewhere up in Nakon Nowhere.

• Like 1

re

instructed traffic police officers on elevated and normal roads to punish motorists and the commercial trucks that were guilty of violations like driving recklessly; driving at illegal speeds; using trailer trucks with deteriorated links; and those carrying loads beyond permissible weight and height.

and bald tyres ?

dave2

there not bald tyres, they are slicks

Last days i 've seen the police very busy with this on the highways in BKK. They are on every highway lately and stop all the big trucks. Those sand or concrete-trucks ruin all the roads in my area. They are full of big cracks where a motorcycle wheel easy fits in the crack. Also the drainlids all break by their heavy weight.

Also i see truckers driving the fast lane full speed no matter when or what they just want to go fast. Good that the Police is working on this.

You don't get it do you?

Why just Bangkok? Isn't it time truck drivers were held accountable all over Thailand? Or is that nowhere else is important? sad.png

They are continuously allowed to drive on the wrong side of the road, allowed to take ownership of the fast/overtaking lane, amazingly allowed to spill muck, sand, concrete and stone over the deck and obviously allowed to drive high as a kite!

Oh, one minute, they're not speeding, that's why they get away with being the most dangerous things on the road (a long with the buses IMO).

Mid to late month (I wonder why that is) the BIB are busy with 'speeding' cars, the 'real' danger on Thai roads (and also the biggest earner) whistling.gif

Another crackdown that will obviously amount to nothing.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Did the driver not have the 1 month sticker pass that the Highway police allegedly give out to trucks once they've paid their fees?

Paste this into google: "They alleged Pol Maj-Gen Noraboon had sold stickers for 3,500 baht each to truck operators. With the sticker, an overloaded truck could operate for one month. Trucks without the sticker were subject to searches for contraband and pulled over for other "violations"."

Edited by Khon Thai Ben Khon Dee
  • Like 1

Did the driver not have the 1 month sticker pass that the Highway police allegedly give out to trucks once they've paid their fees?

Paste this into google: "They alleged Pol Maj-Gen Noraboon had sold stickers for 3,500 baht each to truck operators. With the sticker, an overloaded truck could operate for one month. Trucks without the sticker were subject to searches for contraband and pulled over for other "violations"."

Nice little earner. biggrin.png

The only people that lose out are ALL the other road users.

Their greed knows no bounds.

• Like 1

I think the Thai understanding of "crackdown" must mean that the police continue to sit on their a*& with their crack facing down on a chair (probably while getting drunk). The next vehicle I see pulled over for a violation will be the FIRST one I see in Thailand. Thai officials must believe that "talking about" things is the same as "doing". Traffic law enforcement in Thailand is a horrible joke.

QUOTE:

"Traffic law enforcement in Thailand is a horrible joke."

No, it isn't.

Why worry about bald tires when the driver has 2 or 3 amulets hanging from his neck?

It's Thainess.