Culture Ministry: Undergarments being sold with prints of Thai flag and map

webfact

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to the markets and you can buy under garments with the U.S, British and Aust flags so why get so bloody upset if people are using the Thai one.

Exactly, everyday I see locals walking around with Union Jack shorts. Apparently that's fine, but wearing the Thai flag in such a fashion is disrespectful. Says everything of what is wrong here--hypocrisy and superiority complex (cheesy.gif). Of course, the suits have to be seen to speak up to save face or they're not doing their job. Dear Culture Ministry, did you kick up a fuss when your little people were selling and buying Hitler apparel? pffft!!!

They are that dumb sometimes, maybe they don't know it's a flag.....

I for one don't care what they do with my flag. My country is grown up enough to get past the symbolism of what it's used for.

I worry why they can't trust their people

Edited by Thai at Heart

With all the real problem this country is facing, they waste time oo stupidity such as this….whilst we are at it and since it is such an important issue, lets get Chalerm to go undercover to arrest these people.

Edited by steveyinasia

Thais break these do's and don't's rules every day, right before our eyes. All classes and all ages show all manner of disgusting effrontery to one another with nary a second thought as to convention.

Hell, just get on the BTS during the morning rush hour and you will encounter middle-class Thais behaving in the most egregious fashion towards each other.

Golden rule here is that if you don't know whose @$$ it is you don't have to ki$$ it.

Don't believe me ?

Just watch 'em.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

he said the ministry had produced a handbook "Do's and Don'ts According to Thai Culture"

meanwhile the UN had produced a handbook "Do's and Don'ts According to the World", there is only one single entry:

"don't do Thai on the rest of us"

What Thailand really needs is a handbook for "common sense" and "how to deal with the rest of the world without making a complete idiot of yourself"

• Like 2

he said the ministry had produced a handbook "Do's and Don'ts According to Thai Culture"

meanwhile the UN had produced a handbook "Do's and Don'ts According to the World", there is only one single entry:

What Thailand really needs is a handbook for "common sense" and "how to deal with the rest of the world without making a complete idiot of yourself"

I think you will find most of the reasonable proverbs contained in a well read book.

"Do not do to others what would anger you if done to you by others.

Its quite a widely printed and read book AMD covers all sorts of social conventions and some pretty clever tales to educate people about how to conduct themselves to make society quiet and peaceful.

I like this one about hypocrisy.

You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brothers eye

Can't think what its called. Trust us, our corruption is less than the other guys corruption. What a politocal plan that is.

I think you will find most of the reasonable proverbs contained in a well read book.

"Do not do to others what would anger you if done to you by others.

Its quite a widely printed and read book AMD covers all sorts of social conventions and some pretty clever tales to educate people about how to conduct themselves to make society quiet and peaceful.

I like this one about hypocrisy.

You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brothers eye

Can't think what its called. Trust us, our corruption is less than the other guys corruption. What a politocal plan that is.

"do onto others whatever you want and then run away, or pay a 500bt fine"

Apparently anyone else's flag is fair game.

Correct. The Union Jack etc can be seen adorning anywhere between head & toe every day, inc many that are downright filthy. The wearers likely have no idea what it represents yet would reach for their whistles if the situation was reversed.

• Like 1

Go to the markets and you can buy under garments with the U.S, British and Aust flags so why get so bloody upset if people are using the Thai one.

Exactly, everyday I see locals walking around with Union Jack shorts. Apparently that's fine, but wearing the Thai flag in such a fashion is disrespectful. Says everything of what is wrong here--hypocrisy and superiority complex (cheesy.gif). Of course, the suits have to be seen to speak up to save face or they're not doing their job. Dear Culture Ministry, did you kick up a fuss when your little people were selling and buying Hitler apparel? pffft!!!

I for one don't care what they do with my flag. My country is grown up enough to get past the symbolism of what it's used for.

In that case why is it an offence to burn it?

Why not apply the "common sense" again, if someone decides to print my German/British/American/whatever flag onto some underware, shoes or whatever I´ll not care. Why should I? We´ve all seen such stuff a million times everywhere, mostly it´s just used cause it looks "good" or is for some event like the World Cup. Noone has thought of anything bad designing that stuff, except earning money of course. But getting serious about something like that is just childish, bigoted, stupid. And they produce such stuff too, so <deleted> my dear Thai people tongue.png

But when someone burns a Flag, well then there usually is some hate speech and serious insult connected, then the flag is indeed something that turns into a symbol with some value and stands for me and my country. Because then someone is talking to us with a clear message and then I will take it serious.

• Like 1

I removed some inappropriate comments regarding the Garuda as it is a symbol of the Royal family/Thai monarch and as such I can understand why the government is getting their nickers in a twist.

So keep those type of comments off the board.

I'm British

I think the words self-centred, hypocritical spring to mind. Oh and underworked and nothing better to do.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Thai Ministry of Culture make noises like this every few months to justify their existence.

Well, if you don’t have a football club that would survive in the EPL, not a single invention recognised by the rest of the world as ‘Thai’. If you live under an incompetent government, corrupt religious leaders in a remote controlled nation and in your schoolbooks the country’s history is modyfied to fit, you are left with no reason to be proud of. Hence, you have to stick to obscure nationalism based on constructed ideas of ‘thainess’ and doubious interpretations of ‘culture’.

I think you're being a little unkind .... but not much. Red Bull was invented here although it took outside help to make it international. Then there are the patents on cloud seeding from the king. Of course he wasn't born or educated here. Apart from that you're spot on.

I always believed Buddhists weren't supposed to gamble, screw around or get pissed and that most Thais were Buddhists.

Or did the Culture Ministry get that wrong too?

Don't forget forget about not killing anything as well.

National symbols are always so cute and nice. I for one liked the toilet paper that had the Soviet flag on each piece my friend once gave to me.

Now if you want to protect those symbols, the only way seems to be violence. Since Thailand itself is a military invention, I suppose the army will attack the Vietnamese sweat shop producing the knickers any day now. Unless they own the factories, of course.